Help : SuperPro Polyurethane Bushes vs Mugen hard rubber bush!

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Hey guys, right now I'm contemplating to tune my chassis up one level. It's between SuperPro polyurethane bush and Mugen hard rubber bush for my EG hatch. Details at this thread here :

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=1983726#post1983726

I'm really confused, as the SuperPro was intro'ed by by SIC sifu, and the other suggestion also from another SIC sifu of mine. Car usage is daily driver, fast road and monthly SIC trips.

One thing for sure, SuperPro is wayyyyy cheaper compared to Mugen bushes!

albukh

Known Member
Sep 14, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
For me....respond for SuperPro bush is hard & stiff....I would like to try Powerflex/Energy bushes....Powerflex got settings where u can choose hard/medium/soft....that's what the seller told me bfor....not sure...but me wanna try 1 day....

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
All P/U bushes feel the same, it's whether they last long enuff or not ( as some P/U bushes from US could be slightly softer due to the extreme cold temperatures they hafta go through yearly ), but Powerflex and Energy have got not - so - good reviews even from US users themselves, complains of squeking and the P/U not lasting as long as they should.

For SuperPro, I've plenty of good reviews, but 1 fella ( local, Satria owner ) says the bushes tore off after a track day, this might be due to the sloppy workmanship ( the fella / workshop doing the install of the P/U bushes ), as you must lube the P/U bushes with the lubricant provided, get them into the grooves on the P/U bushes and fit them properly.

If you really want to try these Powerflex / Energy bushes, pls do change the whole lot ( if want to do front, change the whole front and vice versa ), because if you only change some parts with P/U and the rest still OEM, the OEM ones will wear out aster due to the extra strength provided from the P/U ones.

albukh said:
For me....respond for SuperPro bush is hard & stiff....I would like to try Powerflex/Energy bushes....Powerflex got settings where u can choose hard/medium/soft....that's what the seller told me bfor....not sure...but me wanna try 1 day....

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Yep, P/U bushes should last longer than OEM. Mugen hard bushes is actually rubber, but dunno the rubber mixture, 'cause it's very2 hard. But I like the feel of a car fitted with a full Mugen hard bush + Mugen engine mounting, the car felt very2 tight! A bit stiff, but I prefer stiff over wallowy and crashie - feeling suspension anytime!

c00lric said:
Bro,

Polyurethane Bush last much longer than normal rubber bushes. Btw, Is Mugen hard bushes made out of Polyurethane also?

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
ace79,
un answered it urself wat?u like d Mugen,right?now d question IS,how deep is ur wallet only...ehehheheh

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Mugen bushes like Raliart bushes were initially designed for Group N racing where only rubber compound can be used. So these were made and because the compound are still not as solid as spherical bearing so it eventually was offered to street users wanting performance upgrade.

I don't know much about their suspension bushes, but i know their engine mountings are like Spoon and J's Racing which 20% stiffer than OEM.

Superpro bushes were design and intended for road performance use. They were so good that they eventually end up on race cars! And their proprietary blue colour were design to turn to black colour when expose to UV light. This is so that they look like OEM rubber and people use it for Group N racing. :)

Superpro bushes if you look closely has a lot of very fine features that were specifically design for road use to reduce NVH and increase wear life. Very hard to explain through the net, but if you interested in them do come by my place and i can show you the bushes with what is important specifically for the EG and you can decide from there.

Many of my friends cars running them for years on their road cars. My own track DC2 on Superpro went through 2 MMS round and MME in 2005 and 5 MMS round and MME in 2006 and easily 15 to 25 track days with them!!! AND i have not replace a single bush yet.

Hope this help.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Hohoho...I liiiiiiiike the Mugen's, but I know, it'll be at least 40% minimum more than a complete set of SuperPro's.

akuma said:
ace79,
un answered it urself wat?u like d Mugen,right?now d question IS,how deep is ur wallet only...ehehheheh

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Whoa! Thanks for the info overload bro! But I have read cases from local, US and even from SG that these P/U bushes actually bind after some time, therefore limiting the actual full rotation, from 100% to around 60 - 70%. But they stated diff brand lah, not SuperPro.

I will keep your offer in mind bro.

chris2000 said:
Mugen bushes like Raliart bushes were initially designed for Group N racing where only rubber compound can be used. So these were made and because the compound are still not as solid as spherical bearing so it eventually was offered to street users wanting performance upgrade.

I don't know much about their suspension bushes, but i know their engine mountings are like Spoon and J's Racing which 20% stiffer than OEM.

Superpro bushes were design and intended for road performance use. They were so good that they eventually end up on race cars! And their proprietary blue colour were design to turn to black colour when expose to UV light. This is so that they look like OEM rubber and people use it for Group N racing. :)

Superpro bushes if you look closely has a lot of very fine features that were specifically design for road use to reduce NVH and increase wear life. Very hard to explain through the net, but if you interested in them do come by my place and i can show you the bushes with what is important specifically for the EG and you can decide from there.

Many of my friends cars running them for years on their road cars. My own track DC2 on Superpro went through 2 MMS round and MME in 2005 and 5 MMS round and MME in 2006 and easily 15 to 25 track days with them!!! AND i have not replace a single bush yet.

Hope this help.

nksc

500 RPM
Mar 21, 2006
differ person..differ budget..differ choice...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Well.. I'd agree with ace.. Mugen is WAY more expensive than superpro.. and both WILL REQUIRE changing if used constantly for track use/aggresive use..

I like mugen.. but some of the parts are a bit too stupidly designed to deserve the credit like they get... e.g. Mugen valve cover.. What? No plug covers? and the cost.. sheesh!

Mugen makes nice wheels, nice interior accessories.. and the strut bar (I like the old one that bolts on the shock (syiok?) towers as well, but that' kinda rare now.) but performance wise.. I think they're a bit overpriced for the things you get. Extractor wise.. well.. they can't be beat because they make SO MANY extractors for various honda makes.. just flip tru a mugen catalogue and you can see how specific they make their extractors. EK/EG has different part numbers.. (O_o)

Unless you want to go full Mugen for bragging rights... I think buy whatever that gives the most BANG for BUCK. (or Malaysian style... more syiok for less ringgits.)

As for the rubber mounts by MUGEN.. well.. I've only seen Spoon's one.. and the most obvious difference I see is that they have no gaps in the rubber like the stock units i.e. solid rubber on the engine mounts.. the ori one has some holes for more cushion. I think mugen makes it similar as well.. solid rubber = more solid mounts.

Ace,From what I've heard about urethane mounts.. they depend a lot on the grease that came with the package.. if not applied properly the first time around.. the urethane dries out, gets brittle and comes off in bits, or binds like you said.

Last edited:

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
I would go for Mugen too, but EG platform is kinda rare in Mugen's web catalog, ya know. Currently can only outsource Mugen hard rubber bushings from US. I'll see lah, whether have the budget for Mugen's or not. Or else, SuperPro lah.

SiRCRX said:
I'd choose Mugen :tongwink:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
What do you mean rare?.. extinct already lah!! Stock still available, but you need the 2003 and below catalogue for the part numbers..

Or you can buy a civic parts catalogue at kinokuniya. Everything civic is available in it.. including the venerable EF platform. I forget the name of the mag though.

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Nowadays Mugen is a bit blingin' lah. Spoon and J's Racing also got some bling, but more performance parts, like the bumpsteer kit, and all those chassis parts for S2K. Extractor - wise, I'd say Toda lah.

Engine mounts, yeah, aftermarket ones do not have gaps, and is made form stronger rubber. I'd like Hasport as well, but the obvious colour is a dead giveaway.....

- JPJ officer at roadblock : Bukak enjin.
- Me : Ok ( thinking since my engine looks stock other than the 5 Chicken extractor )..
- JPJ officer at roadblock : Apsal mounting enjin kau ni kaler2? Dah, amik surat ni. Lagi dua minggi pi JPJ, semua nk standard!
- Me : ........

Yeah, what you heard about P/U mounts is the same thing I hear as well. The P/U mounts must come with the correct grease ( usually it's produced by the same company ) and all the P/U parts must be greased properly. I think that's SuperPro's advantage lah, their P/U stuffs got grooves to put and keep the grease inside et cetera. But most importantly is who's doing the install also. Fella doesn't know what the heck the greas eis for, and simply lug in the P/U bushes like OEM rubber, thinking that these P/U stuffs is like OEM. Months later....aiyak! There goes my lower arm P/U bush! Kainenai....

shiroitenshi said:
Well.. I'd agree with ace.. Mugen is WAY more expensive than superpro.. and both WILL REQUIRE changing if used constantly for track use/aggresive use..

I like mugen.. but some of the parts are a bit too stupidly designed to deserve the credit like they get... e.g. Mugen valve cover.. What? No plug covers? and the cost.. sheesh!

Mugen makes nice wheels, nice interior accessories.. and the strut bar (I like the old one that bolts on the shock (syiok?) towers as well, but that' kinda rare now.) but performance wise.. I think they're a bit overpriced for the things you get. Extractor wise.. well.. they can't be beat because they make SO MANY extractors for various honda makes.. just flip tru a mugen catalogue and you can see how specific they make their extractors. EK/EG has different part numbers.. (O_o)

Unless you want to go full Mugen for bragging rights... I think buy whatever that gives the most BANG for BUCK. (or Malaysian style... more syiok for less ringgits.)

As for the rubber mounts by MUGEN.. well.. I've only seen Spoon's one.. and the most obvious difference I see is that they have no gaps in the rubber like the stock units i.e. solid rubber on the engine mounts.. the ori one has some holes for more cushion. I think mugen makes it similar as well.. solid rubber = more solid mounts.

Ace,From what I've heard about urethane mounts.. they depend a lot on the grease that came with the package.. if not applied properly the first time around.. the urethane dries out, gets brittle and comes off in bits, or binds like you said.