Firewall grommets and running cables.

skullx

Mar 19, 2014
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I've just purchased a 2003 Stock Mitsubishi Turbo Airtrek here in NZ and I am in the process of installing a boost gauge and stereo amplifier. Is their any simple way in these vehicles to get cables etc. through the firewall or best practices for drilling holes in the firewall?

Thanks

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
There's no easier way. It's hard to reach thru the firewall. My boost. Gauge vacuum pipe actually goes thru the side fender and thru the door sills.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
im not sure NZ is a right hand steering or left.. but if a right hand drive, there's a hole near the throttle cable. u may use that hole for boost gauge.. there's a vacuum line at top end of rocker cover, tap the hose for the boost tee..

skullx

Mar 19, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks for the info. Its a RHD so I'll check out next to the throttle cable when I get a chance. Anyone had any experience fitting the boost gauge where the factory clock is?

skullx

Mar 19, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks, I'll check that link out.
The boost gauge I brought is a perfect fit in place of the analogue clock on the dash. Just waiting for the glue to dry overnight. Bonus there is power and an illumination wire right their too.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Cool. Do share pictures when done.

I'd like to keep the clock. In fact, the first thing that caught my attention in the cabin was the clock. Feels really classic and in a way, classy. Much like older vintage cars. It's a nice 'watch' to me. :) But yeah, many removed it to mount a display or boost guage there.

skullx

Mar 19, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks, I will do.

I wasn't too keen on removing it either but it was a nice spot and I decided the stereo has a clock instead.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I've just purchased a 2003 Stock Mitsubishi Turbo Airtrek here in NZ and I am in the process of installing a boost gauge and stereo amplifier. Is their any simple way in these vehicles to get cables etc. through the firewall or best practices for drilling holes in the firewall?

Thanks
When I fitted my boost meter, I just look for the original wiring that needs to come in from engine compartment thru' the firewall. Make small hole, push thru' the tube then seal up....:driver:

skullx

Mar 19, 2014
New Zealand
Haven't decided on a colour yet, the gauge will display in blue, green, white or red but the button is on the back. Thinking red to match the dash display.

PIC_0625.jpg

PIC_0626.jpg

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Breaking news just in, all 500 units of the maniacal Porsche GT2 RS have already been spoken for. Of course, you wouldn’t have expected anything less.

It’s hardly surprising considering the subject is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience