Feature: ELKD2's Team Toyo S15!

[email protected]

Mar 3, 2006
muhd-zamil.blogspot.com

*all of the pictures and banners are taken by Zamil, editing by HyperC

If you're lazy to wait for the big sized pics or prefer to click one picture at the time and load, you could always drop by my blog at http://muhd-zamil.blogspot.com/

I'm sure by now, everyone should know how a Silvia S15 looks like, or at least heard of it. This special S15 Silvia hails from Johore, and has been chosen and destined to be one of the stars in the upcoming Evolusi: KL Drift 2 that has been said to hit the cinemas in April 2009.

First thing you noticed about this Silvia is the super widebodykit. This bodykit is actually a replica of GP Sports G-Sonic Evolution, which are seen on Kawabata Masato's 2007 D1GP Champion car; not a coincidence that both car are using a Nissan Silvia as a base. This bodykit is actually unmolded yet, and only looks good from far. The original price of GP Sports G-Sonic Evolution kit cost a staggering RM20K without all those taxes yet. Looks can be deceiving eh?

This bodykit replica looks stunning on this car, and somehow I think it sorta gives the Silvia a GT car look. The line is sharp but yet smooth; you've never thought that its just a replica.

From the rear there's the good ol' GT Wing, the LED S15 rear tail lamp, and also a somesort of diffuser in the rear which doesn't look too aggressive, but nice and subtle. If you notice at the side of the black diffuser, there's like a gap between the rear overfender and the tires (at the place where Active and Feinto.D sticker are placed). That is actually to channel the smoke coming out from the rear tires smoothly while drifting. Look cool but I wonder if those are necessary?

Here's a shot of em so you can see clearly what I just mentioned. And take a look at the gap between the door and the sideskirt (and the rest of the side). Wide!

Next we come to what moves and powers this Silvia sideways; the vulnerable and legendary SR20DET. Straight-4, 2.0 liter, and turbocharged. What more could you ask?

The engine is built and tuned by Onward Motorsports, one of the renown Nissan tuners and one of the sponsors of Evolusi: KL Drift 2 movie. The power estimated churned out from this beast is approximately 400hp. There is also an option to use a Nitrous whenever the owner wants. The brain of this car is no other then Apex'i Power FC, and is coupled to GT2876 turbo. Works Engineering are presence inside too, such as their radiator and hoses. Big names like GReddy and Mines is also included.

Now we came to the cockpit. This Silvia looks aggresive and subtle from outside, but inside its all straight and simple. And believed it or not this car is still street legal, hence you don't see those protective rollcage, or even a fully stripped interior.

Inside we have a Nardi Classico Steering wheel, which is one of the most famous steering wheel used by alot of drifters and also drivers which includes Kawabata Masato, Tezuka Tsuyoshi, NOB Taniguchi and also MAX Orido. Then it also has the Apex'i Power FC Commander inside, with the Defi-Link Control Unit II put slightly close to it. Since the Defi-Link Control Unit II is there, of course it will be mated to one single Defi-Link Boost Gauge sitting above the dashboard. Lastly you can also spot the HKS Turbo Timer Type-0 located at the white faced S15 meters.

Below here you can where the extra torque or horsepower comes from; Nitrous!

Then at the driver and the passenger side, we have a Bride LOW MAX bucket seat. I'm not sure whether this is Bride Gias or Stradia, since both of them looks equally same or less. Any idea guys? The seat it really comfortable and it sit quite low to the ground.

Finally we come to the rims and tires. The rims are no other then the infamous 18' Rays Engineering Volk CE28N on all four tires and of course the tires used are the main sponsor and also the Flagship of Toyo; the Toyo Proxes T1R. These tires provide good grips toward the tarmac, especially doing the tire shredding moves at the rear wheel.

Personally I had a 4 laps drift ride with this drift machine last Sunday at UiTM Drift Automech driven by no other then Nazrul Afifi a.k.a Along. First impression, the car is good and when I had a ride in it it feels safe inside even without the presence of the rollcage. The car has sufficient power to propel it sideways through corner and the ride was quite good.

But the car had some few minor or major problems. First, the suspension setup isn't properly tuned yet, making it hard to make a big angle drift. Also, the 265/35/18 tyres at the rear is a lil bit too much for the power of the car to handle. But Nazrul said that with the Nitrous powers in, the car is a totally different beast. The undertorque problem is solved, and the car can drifts as much as it wants.

Last but not least the spec of this car.

Engine: SR20DET, 1998cc 2.0 liter, Straight 4, DOHC Turbocharged, Bore x Stroke 86 mm x 86 mm

Engine Modifications: Engine built and tuned by Onward Motorsports (power is around 400hp), Apexi Power FC ECU, GT2876 turbo, Mines Intercooler, Works Engineering Radiator, Hoses, NitrousWorks nitrous, GReddy Oil Cap, GReddy Radiator Cap, GReddy Strut Bar

Suspensions/Chassis: Ace Suspension

Brakes/Callipers: Stock Nissan Silvia brakes

Wheels & Tires: Toyo Proxes T1R all around, 18' Volk Racing CE28N

Exterior: Custom GP Sports G-Sonic Evolution Widebodykit Replica, Ganador side mirrors, Carbon GT Wing, Aerocatch Bonnet Latch, black faced S15 LED Rear Lamp, white faced S15 Projector Headlamp with strobe lights

Interior: Nardi Classico Steering, Bride Low Max Bucket Seats, Defi-Link Boost Meter, Defi-Link Control Unit II, Carbon Fiber inserts, Start/Ignition Button, Apexi Power FC Commander, HKS Turbo Timer Type-0, Custom Ebrake Button, NitrousWorks Tank

Sponsors: Toyo Tires, Narauto, Onward Motorsports, Toms Stickers, Sin Heng Autowork, AVS Power, ACE Suspension, Evercoat Paint, Torq, Active Motorwork, Feinto.D, Drift.com.my, Under5ive Performance Garage, Tonnka, Understeer.com, Extremekars Magazine, Tong Turbo, SOL Helmet, Llumar Tints, Motul, Era Maju
Hope you guys enjoy my story and my first ever car feature. I'm really sorry if there's any major or minor mistakes in my typing or my pictures. I also hope that if there's any EKLD2 stunt driver like Yoong, Along, Zee could provide more info with this car.

MORE PICS CAN BE SEEN BY CLICKING THIS LINK.

Happy drifting! :)