F1 new rules

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
A number of changes to both the Sporting and Technical Regulations have been made by the FIA for the 2005 Formula One season.

Qualifying
The 2005 race weekend will feature one qualifying session on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday morning.

The first session will run from 1300 to 1400 on Saturday and will, as in 2004, be single lap qualifying, with the cars going out in the reverse order of their finishing positions at the previous race.

The second session, from 1000 to 1100 on Sunday, will also use the single lap format, with the cars going out in the reverse order of the qualifying on Saturday (i.e. the fastest car on Saturday runs last on Sunday).

The cars will run on Saturday with unrestricted fuel. They will then go into parc ferme after this qualifying session and for the Sunday qualifying session they will run with race fuel, having been allowed to refuel before the second qualifying session. They will not be allowed to refuel again before the race starts.

The times of the two sessions will be aggregated to determine the grid, with the shortest aggregate time in pole position.

Tyres
Drivers will have access to far fewer tyres in 2005 and will have to make a single set last through both qualifying sessions and the entire race. A tyre can only be changed during this time if it is punctured or damaged.

On Fridays, drivers will be able to test two different dry tyre compounds. Ahead of Saturday practice they must choose one of these for the remainder of the weekend. They will then be allocated three sets of this compound – one will be used in practice, one in qualifying and the race, and one kept in reserve in case of punctures or accident damage.

These changes will require harder compounds than in 2004 and will force drivers to drive with tyre preservation in mind. The knock-on effects will be slower lap times and much-revised race strategies.

Drivers will also have access to wet and extreme-weather tyres. These can only be used when the track is declared wet by the race director.

Engines
In 2004 engines had to last one race weekend. From 2005 they must last two – equivalent to a distance of around 1,500 kilometres (close to 1000 miles). If a driver requires an engine change ahead of qualifying, he will drop ten places on the grid for that race. If an engine is changed between the start of qualifying and the race the driver will be put to the back of the grid.

In both instances the driver concerned must use his new engine for the remainder of that meeting and the entire following grand prix weekend. If a driver fails to finish a race, he may start the next meeting with a new engine without penalty.

With even greater reliability required from the engines, these changes are likely to cut rev limits and power outputs, hence reducing car performance.

Aerodynamics
Aerodynamic regulations have been dramatically revised in a bid to reduce downforce and hence cut performance. The key changes are a higher nose and front wing section, a changed rear diffuser profile, and the bringing forward of the rear wing structure.

Initial estimates suggest that the changes could cut downforce by as much as 25 percent over 2004. Designers are likely to claw much of this back as their 2005 machines evolve, but slower laps times and trickier-handling cars would seem inevitable.
Anyone heard the new rules ? The same tire used in qualifying must be used in the race.......

Hope F1 implement Nascars rules like..same pit stop timing..and if 1 car too fast..will be flagged to slow....

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Same pit stop timing would take the strategic elements away from F1. Not a good idea. Just look at Champ Car and BTCC for example.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
In both instances the driver concerned must use his new engine for the remainder of that meeting and the entire following grand prix weekend. If a driver fails to finish a race, he may start the next meeting with a new engine without penalty.
yeah right... knowing you won't make it into the points, just park your car beside the track and don't take the checkered flag, and "purposely" failed to finish the flag... start next grand prix with a fresh engine and hope the front runner's engine blew up then you can gain big points...

big big loop hole there, hope they don't abuse it.

should say like "failed to finish the race because of technical problems/car breakdown". <_<

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
F1 news rules is getting hopeless. what a set of tyre last 2 race. this is total bullshit. sure someone will get hurt frm this

zique

Kopi O Lesen Driver
Jun 30, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, M
mikeyip.com
F1 is going through a lot of stupid changes since the 2004 season and that cannot be help. We'll just have to see when something happens then they'd start removing the rules one by one until they come across one that really works.

This is turning into a Global KART series instead of Formula 1 since all these regulation is just trying to slow the cars down... What's the diff. then between a KART and a F1?

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Originally posted by zique@Feb 17 2005, 00:41
down... What's the diff. then between a KART and a F1?
overall sturcture and performance. Also not to mention the money invested on it.

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
The best thing in F1 is the race strategies and driver skills, just think of how r they going to win a race if the tyres and engines need to last so long....it'll be very interesting....and the new rules will let us see how the drivers handle their cars with these situations

GOKEN

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
so we can see Kimi and Montoya blow their engines every weekend.

Waja1.6X

Known Member
Oct 4, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.facebook.com
if they implement the rule where every drivers are to race for different teams for every GP...it would be great...would like to see M.Schmacher race for the Minardi team and that Christijan fella in the Ferrari team....but i heard is impossible because some technical fella said that the Cars are tailored for the driver itself....why not build a car where is suitable for every drivers...? wouldn't it be nice to see different drivers in different cars every race.....i think it would be fair....

pls don't shoot me....i got the info from BBC sports & i think is a wonderful idea to implement this rule.....just my 2 cents ....

Cheers~ :)

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
each F1 car cockpit is customise to fit the driver, tthat's include the distance of the leg pedal to the seat (i think the seat is fit, guess you can only adjust the pedal). That's why they have this seat fitting test when they build the car, and there were once Peter Sauber said that he won't take Mark Webber in Sauber team because of his height is to far to tall compare with Nick (and now Nick and Webber are in Williams, maybe Peter Sauber do not want his technical wating too much time to setup the cockpit) .

but ... but the cockpit is adjustable, if not how do 2 drivers share the same spare car, of course you won't feel that confortable. :lol:

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by BlackSamurai@Feb 24 2005, 16:02
each F1 car cockpit is customise to fit the driver, tthat's include the distance of the leg pedal to the seat (i think the seat is fit, guess you can only adjust the pedal). That's why they have this seat fitting test when they build the car, and there were once Peter Sauber said that he won't take Mark Webber in Sauber team because of his height is to far to tall compare with Nick (and now Nick and Webber are in Williams, maybe Peter Sauber do not want his technical wating too much time to setup the cockpit) .

but ... but the cockpit is adjustable, if not how do 2 drivers share the same spare car, of course you won't feel that confortable. :lol:
Spare cars are mostly set up for the lead driver of the team... in any case they need to swap...only pedal and seat changes has to be made...it would only take as long as 15 minutes to do so if i am not wrong...of course the other driver would have to compromise with the car setups...

For instance the spare car in Ferrari is made to Michael Schumacher's settings... in any case Barrichello gets in trouble, then he may have a hard race...

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by normality78@Feb 16 2005, 23:44
F1 news rules is getting hopeless. what a set of tyre last 2 race. this is total bullshit. sure someone will get hurt frm this
i agree...

the rules are jus getting plain ridiculous...they said they wanted to lower costs and speed alongside increasing safety for the drivers by implementing this new rules...

my personal opinion ...safety might really be increased... but costs... that's a whole load of bullshit... of course to high budgeted teams like Williams, Toyota, McLaren and how can we forget Ferrari is not a major issue... but they had never thought of the small teams like Minardi... they'd spend years and so much money from buying peoples engines and redeveloping it...without any support they would be forced to make major redesigns to their engines...

and tyres to last a whole race... remember the Michellins in 2004... they suffured so many punctures from running long pitstops...what type of safety would they call that if any driver were to suffer a blowout during 200mph...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Originally posted by butthead+Feb 24 2005, 16:44 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butthead @ Feb 24 2005, 16:44 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackSamurai@Feb 24 2005, 16:02

Spare cars are mostly set up for the lead driver of the team... in any case they need to swap...only pedal and seat changes has to be made...it would only take as long as 15 minutes to do so if i am not wrong...of course the other driver would have to compromise with the car setups...

For instance the spare car in Ferrari is made to Michael Schumacher's settings... in any case Barrichello gets in trouble, then he may have a hard race... [/b][/quote]
actually on Ferrari have the clear No. 1 driver status, and part of Schumi agreement to join Ferrari is that the spare car is always setup for him. Others team like McLaren and Williams, both drivers take turns. For example,if in Australia, Williams spare car is setup for Mark Webber, in Malaysia GP, the initial setup for spare car will be for Nick.

actually changing car setup is another complex process, because you need to setup the car to suite the driver driving style as well. For example, Schumi and Rubens have different driving in attacking corner and etc, hence their aero, suspension will have little different.

And i really respect those pit crews who can change the setting or fix the faulty part in that short period.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Originally posted by butthead+Feb 24 2005, 16:51 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butthead @ Feb 24 2005, 16:51 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-normality78@Feb 16 2005, 23:44
i agree...

the rules are jus getting plain ridiculous...they said they wanted to lower costs and speed alongside increasing safety for the drivers by implementing this new rules...

my personal opinion ...safety might really be increased... but costs... that's a whole load of bullshit... of course to high budgeted teams like Williams, Toyota, McLaren and how can we forget Ferrari is not a major issue... but they had never thought of the small teams like Minardi... they'd spend years and so much money from buying peoples engines and redeveloping it...without any support they would be forced to make major redesigns to their engines... [/b][/quote]
yah, others will surprise that Ferrari is not the team with the biggest budget.
Rumous says that Toyota is the F1 team with the biggest budget on the grid since 2001.
Follow by Williams or McLaren then only Ferrari.

Poor Minardi, you hardly see them for testing.

and tyres to last a whole race... remember the Michellins in 2004... they suffured so many punctures from running long pitstops...what type of safety would they call that if any driver were to suffer a blowout during 200mph...
Ralf did ... :ph34r:
But according to Michellins analysis, all the puntures happen due to the car pick up some sharp debric on the track. But not sure is it another cover up story by the France.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by BlackSamurai+Feb 24 2005, 19:51 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackSamurai @ Feb 24 2005, 19:51 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by butthead@Feb 24 2005, 16:44
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackSamurai
@Feb 24 2005, 16:02

For instance the spare car in Ferrari is made to Michael Schumacher's settings... in any case Barrichello gets in trouble, then he may have a hard race...
actually on Ferrari have the clear No. 1 driver status, and part of Schumi agreement to join Ferrari is that the spare car is always setup for him. Others team like McLaren and Williams, both drivers take turns. For example,if in Australia, Williams spare car is setup for Mark Webber, in Malaysia GP, the initial setup for spare car will be for Nick.

actually changing car setup is another complex process, because you need to setup the car to suite the driver driving style as well. For example, Schumi and Rubens have different driving in attacking corner and etc, hence their aero, suspension will have little different.

And i really respect those pit crews who can change the setting or fix the faulty part in that short period. [/b][/quote]
swapping car for different driver is hard if it is like in 15mins... the adjustments could be made in that time frame could only be pedal and seat adjustments... i know Barichello does left foot braking where Michael does not... therefore their pedal adjustments is a sure change when swapping cars...

pit crews are always under tremendous preassure... especially the WRC pitcrews...most preassure on F1 pit crews is mostly on pit stops where any errors could cost seconds...

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by BlackSamurai+Feb 24 2005, 19:59 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackSamurai @ Feb 24 2005, 19:59 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by butthead@Feb 24 2005, 16:51
<!--QuoteBegin-normality78
@Feb 16 2005, 23:44

i agree...

my personal opinion ...safety might really be increased... but costs... that's a whole load of bullshit... of course to high budgeted teams like Williams, Toyota, McLaren and how can we forget Ferrari is not a major issue... but they had never thought of the small teams like Minardi... they'd spend years and so much money from buying peoples engines and redeveloping it...without any support they would be forced to make major redesigns to their engines...
yah, others will surprise that Ferrari is not the team with the biggest budget.
Rumous says that Toyota is the F1 team with the biggest budget on the grid since 2001.
Follow by Williams or McLaren then only Ferrari.

Poor Minardi, you hardly see them for testing.

Ralf did ... :ph34r:
But according to Michellins analysis, all the puntures happen due to the car pick up some sharp debric on the track. But not sure is it another cover up story by the France. [/b][/quote]
yup...did heard that rumor too bout Toyota having the biggest budget..somewhere in excess of 100mil euros...

Many people say Minardi is poor... but i did remember that Murray Walker once said that by comparison, Minardi is poor compared to big budgeted teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams... but they still do spend 20 to 30 million euros each year... that is the money that we can't even earn in our lifetime...

Michellin coversing up bout the punctures??? i dunno... but it seems they have the most punctures during last year... and to imagine they had most of the better teams on their side...Bridgestone only had Ferrari...

FTO

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
With both Jenson Button and Takuma Sato running outside of the top eight and therefore out of the points, BAR Honda opted to bring both drivers into the pits right before the end of the 58-lap Australian Grand Prix. In doing so the team bypass the new rule that dictates that a race engine must last for two Grand Prix.
quoted from http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

FIA is so stupid with its new rules, the race is boring and now teams starting to "cheat".
I can imagine alot of teams pit near the end of the race in the future.

antaras

Known Member
Aug 30, 2004
KL
Visit site
All i have to say is that the new rules is not promoting fast driving. Drivers are not attacking the track becoz every one of them are trying to preserve the tyre and engine. Maybe the new rules do help on cutting cost but definately not promoting the sport as the leading open wheel racing. Also the loop hole in the ruling, sigh... this is freaking stupid... It's really been a while since i felt sleepy when watching an F1 race. Long gone are the days when Aryton Senna blast tru the field on qualifying and race day... sigh... damn, talk about qualifying... it's stupid and i can't see why they do not want the classic qualifying format. That's promoting fast driving!!! With the new rules now, i don't think there's anyway of breaking new lap records set on last season. SIGH!!!

antaras

Known Member
Aug 30, 2004
KL
Visit site
oh yeah, i believe next race in sepang will only have 8 cars finishing the race... I really can't see why there will be more than 8 cars finishing... stupid moron rules...

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
the most BRORING F1 race in history....totally HOPELESS rules..... drivers drive like tortoise..... cars slow like tortoise also ....SUX!!!!

Fcuk FIA and Bernie!!!!!

F1 cars is getting slower and slower.... like ppl is advancing to new Technology to get the cars faster but F1 now is like getting a new Technology to slow down the cars......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my NA engine with turbo had knocking sound if top up 97, 95, 92 when toup in both SG/Malaysia.
But the knocking is gone if 98 or V power.

Is it the tuning for ignition timing wrong cause knocking?

my boost max 0.7 bar.

When boost reach 0.3 bar, knocking sound came.
No kocking for 98 and above fuel.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience