Drilling holes into brake rotors

apek beca

Known Member
Aug 7, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I'm thinking of upgrading my brakes.
SSBH & better pads.

It's just only an idea. I've seen that most performance rotors comes with drilled/grooved/slotted.
I know that this could be done by an engineering shop.
The point is would it helps on the grip? Heat dispense is for sure already but not so important.

Know of a shop that can do this?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
how about drilling custom holes i.e. 5 holes disc into 4 holes disc (with the same PCD)? is it advisable?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
how about drilling custom holes i.e. 5 holes disc into 4 holes disc (with the same PCD)? is it advisable?
It is not advisable. Reason being that the brake rotor is under thermal stress and even the hub of the rotor is one piece with the brake rotor surface, thus the center hub is also under stress.

If you drill a hole on the brake rotor, be it on the hub or on the rotor surface, it disrupts the grains structure of the metal. A cast hole (like the original hub holes) has the grain structure formed around it in an uninterrupted flow.

Drilling holes, be it on the rotor surface or on the hub just introduces weak points in the brake rotor. Depending on how the vehicle is driven and the thermal load it faces.. its taking a huge risk. Personally I feel manually drilling holes on rotor is stupid, as it jeopardizes the integrity of the brake rotor. Likewise, I feel the same about drilling holes on the brake rotor hub..just buy the right brake rotor for your car.

We're talking about the car's braking system, best not to !@#$ around with it.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

As an example, the Chevrolet Corvette C6, came from the factory with cross drilled rotors.. and being a sports car.. a lot of owners drive it enthusiastically. The result, a lot of the rotors cracked.

So if a sports car's factory cross drilled rotors also get destroyed..what chance do you think your typical cheaply mass manufactured would have.

thomadyeoh

Jul 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
So do any vendor manufactures cross drilled/slotted brake disc rotor that can fit satria/putra 4 studs pcd 100 with evo front twinpot ?
Since it's not recommended to re-drill the ori evo rotor from 114.3 to 100 as stated above. :smile:
Thanks sifus

apek beca

Known Member
Aug 7, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
So do any vendor manufactures cross drilled/slotted brake disc rotor that can fit satria/putra 4 studs pcd 100 with evo front twinpot ?
Since it's not recommended to re-drill the ori evo rotor from 114.3 to 100 as stated above. :smile:
Thanks sifus
All pix & comment trashed this idea.
If you're ready to spend money then go for a complete kit or Pads + SSBH.
Drop this idea of modding the rotor pls.

Maybe if U do this the effect might be there but U'll never know when it's gonna brake.
^%$#@ with ur brakes the wrong way it'll screw u up real good.
Finally 1 word... I don't support this as well.
Thanks to all that guided me through this :)

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
once my mech said to me..

Brake tu Nyawa..

so, if u like to live longer.. don't mess with ur brakes :wink: