DIY Cheap Extractor Thermal Wrap

shamsulSLK

Known Member
Nov 30, 2006
yea, so do the engine balancing maybe. very expensive but not gain huge power lor. tq for ur company info. i like it. now im very busy... maybe soon :) :)

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
for ur guy info,70% of ur underhood temperature come's from ur extractor or manifold.to wrap or not,it's up to u guy's.1 more thing is,if u guy use extractor,only wrap extractor made out of stainless steel like the japanese made 1.don't wrap on ur hot bit extractor or it will crack under extreme heat.wrapping extractor is good from my point of view as it lower the under hood temp so ur car will work more efficiently.digest more oxygen n increase the exhaust/manifold efficiency by creating
a better scavenging effect.

nashlovebrown

2,000 RPM
Aug 26, 2005
kl
ermm good DIY, i think wrap with the thermo wrap cloth on top of it more better, i mean look nicer abit right. Must try to DIY when im free.

cun DIY

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
i wrap extractor a few times already for my friend.after wrap it,ur whole body
feel itchy.:)

tatayoung

Known Member
Feb 7, 2007
for ur guy info,70% of ur underhood temperature come's from ur extractor or manifold.to wrap or not,it's up to u guy's.1 more thing is,if u guy use extractor,only wrap extractor made out of stainless steel like the japanese made 1.don't wrap on ur hot bit extractor or it will crack under extreme heat.wrapping extractor is good from my point of view as it lower the under hood temp so ur car will work more efficiently.digest more oxygen n increase the exhaust/manifold efficiency by creating
a better scavenging effect.
Bang on target.

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
The type of exhaust wraps make a difference too. Don't get those cheap cheap ones. The heat will make it hardened and brittle in no time.

I just wrapped mine for a week and the whole thing become so brittle that it breaks on contact (trying to take out the extractor), it also got burnt marks... Possible fire hazard?

Just my two cents.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
The type of exhaust wraps make a difference too. Don't get those cheap cheap ones. The heat will make it hardened and brittle in no time.

I just wrapped mine for a week and the whole thing become so brittle that it breaks on contact (trying to take out the extractor), it also got burnt marks... Possible fire hazard?

Just my two cents.
no lar bro.those wrapper can hardly burn.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i am driving a 1991 Saga Auto 1.5 Carb 4G15 12V and my extractor is rusty red.
What is the performance effect of a rusty extractor and what can i do about it?
Can i spray it with WD40 to stop the rusting or spray DPI paint on it?

tks84

Known Member
May 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I sprayed mine before...but after a while came out back...too hot...cos when wrap the color change....then i wrap back again with new kain....

ringo5185

May 2, 2008
my experience is, i've done thermal wrap and this caused my extractor to crack at the welding site...i believe it is the weakest point on the extractor...and that cost me a new extractor again...i strongly agree that thermal wrap significantly reduce the temp in the engine room but for long term it is will increase the risk of extractor crack esp the SS type or the galvanized type. My POV is to get it ceramic coated as the heat dissipation would be higher....but the $$$ is higher also...

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Normally how the car feels like when the extractor crack or there
is a hole in the exost system. I mean how to tell? What are the symptoms?

I wan a new complete exost system for my 1991 Saga Auto 1.5 Carb 12V
for normal everyday city driving that save fuel and got good pickup. I plan
to abandon the cat too. What to look for and how do we know an extractor
is gd or bad? And what to replace the cat, pls tell me the complete setup
from the extractor till the tail paip. How the configuration should be?

Now i think i am still with the ori extractor coz i see there are nut holes
on it and its metal jacket is missing. I think the previous owner remove it.
I think this is bad, this will cool the internal temp of the extractor causing
less pickup and higher FC. It might cause my bonnet temp be higher too
killing the battery and other things around it faster. I scare if i warp it
with stuffs like aluminium foil or thermal warm, the extractor may crack.

Pls help...what should i do? My friend want to sell me a new sport extractor
for Rm150, should i take it? He said is a 4-2-1, wonder what is it?

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Use Aluminium foils.

Crunch it up and wrap it up. Use thick wire to hold it in place.

I found that my acceleration is faster at high speed 100kmh++ after put the wrap.
Before that, after fast edi, acceleration is slow and need to rev quite high to get desired power. now is more smooth.

Here is how mine looks like:

Alternatively, if u got money its better u buy the real thermal wrap. cost RM80 not include instal at ENEOS.
What you use to tie the Aluminium foil down?

How many layer you use to wrap it?

Thanks =)

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
He said use thick wire to tie it down.
If u look at the picture carefully, near the top of the extractor,
can u see the steel wire? It got camouflaged but still visible.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
My old saga still with the ori extractor and with nut holes but the heat shield is missing.
Where can i buy 1 or could i DIY 1? Dun know use what material is best. Could i use
stainless steel sheets?

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Guys

Wrapping it will shorten the life of the extractor/crack? I guess it will start to crack when you get very fast (very high rpm) for very long time (highway), then maybe the extractor starts to be glowing red or something. If it is for normal driving, hm... I do not exactly know, but just thinking...

What you guys think?

I also thinking to wrap the extractor.

Stock extractor (Wira) they have like a cover (aluminium?) that seats between the extractor and the aircond and radiator fans. Now I changed the extractor, the extractor is bigger than the stock one and seats closer to the fans. The mechanic I met advise me to wrap the extractor so it will reduce the amount of heat from the extractor reaching the fan's motor (longer motor life span). How true is this? Please do comment.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
jebatdex,

if you wanna warp thermacloth then it is good. Try your best to ensure the thickness of the wrap is consistent at the length of the extractor. If the wrap is thick here, thin there on the extractor, then there is a chance that the extractor would develop crack, since expansion(due to uneven heat distribution) is different on different part of the extractor.

Just like a glass would crack when boiling water is poured into it.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
jebatdex,

if you wanna warp thermacloth then it is good. Try your best to ensure the thickness of the wrap is consistent at the length of the extractor. If the wrap is thick here, thin there on the extractor, then there is a chance that the extractor would develop crack, since expansion(due to uneven heat distribution) is different on different part of the extractor.

Just like a glass would crack when boiling water is poured into it.
OK thanks for the explanantion.

Can you please help to verify the mechanic's advice about the heat from the extractor and the fan's motor? Is it correct?

1nasiklemak

May 13, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
read some discussion on wrap in international forum,1jz forum.some used wrap 2 years without any prob.some used 4 years still no prob.but also hv other got prob.depend on luck also i thnk.
but 1 thng 4 sure,used wrap extractor definitely decrease engine bay temp,increase performance.
planning to do wrap myself,my objective is 2 decreace engine bay temp.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello.. just wanna know, isit a problem if the engine block sound like 'ktik-ktik' (as it was very hot) after a long jurney?? fyi, i drove astina bpt with std i/c and no air scoop or what so ever..
:X-:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience