BMW E90 335i or F10 523i or Cayman 2.7?

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Between the 3 cars, which one do you think is a better buy?

Both E92 335i & Cayman 2.7 are 2007-2008 model, F10 523i is 2010 model.

E92 335i are auto while Cayman 2.7 & F10 523i is Manual.

E9 335i is 3.0 Twin Turbo 302hp, Cayman is 2.7 NA with 245hp while F10 523i is 3.0 204hp

Price for E92 335 is rm180k-220k, Cayman 2.7 rm220k-240k, F10 523i is rm280k.

E92 seems the best buy in terms of performance & price, parts should not be too hard to get

Cayman looks unique, but parts will be expensive, 2.7 has less road tax.

F10 is newer, bigger, and the 3.0 engine leaves alot of tuning potentials, but still would be better to get 335i just it's a bit older.

So which one you guys think is a better buy? Porsche is a Porsche, it will look unique even if it's 10 years old. E92 335 performance probably able to hold on to itself for another 10 years. F10 is quite expensive and most likely the 3.0 will be outdated pretty soon & require some time & money to tune or even turbo it.

So what you guys think?

Road tax for 3.0 is rm2.2k p.a is high but not as crazy high as 3.5 while 2.7 is rm1.4k p.a.

Really tempted to get the Cayman but worry difficult & expensive to get parts so looking at 335 seems like a good buy, if only it has manual T then no need to consider.

Last edited:

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
I wouldn't even bother with the e90. That particular era of BMWs are plagued with engine oil leaks and gearbox issues. The Cayman on the other hand is reliable and at most will suffer from power steering pump noise over time. Sadly the manual gearbox is only a 5 speed. As for the F10, only time will tell if its reliable. Looks wise its nice. Just slap on some HREs and go to town. Hopefully BMW has changed their oil seals to withstand our hot climate.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
I think should be e92 coz e90 335i quite rare here in Msia....if u can find one, go for it bro...its gonna be a sleeper car as ppl thinks its just a normal 320i or 325i :driver:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
You listed the 335i and the Cayman among the 3 choices, my guess is that you're keen on performance and overall sportiness. But the 4-door E90 and effectively 2-seater cayman, is a world of a difference in many aspects.

Like most will ask you, what do you really want?

These days, i don't think anyone should worry about getting parts, at least for the BM or the Porsche. If you can't get it here, try Singapore, or overseas, online.

The F10 523i manual would seem interesting.
Reminds me of a video, although relevant to the F10 it's irrelevant to the 523i.

2013 BMW M5 Manual: The Purist's M5? - Ignition Episode 41 - YouTube

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry guys i meant E92 Coupe 335i.

I don't like the looks of the E90 Sedan, and coupe has better handling than the sedan.

Parts should not be a problem for BMW as it's official in Malaysia, Porsche parts would be hard to come by especially big heavy parts.

i only listed the 523i manual coz i saw one on sale it is interesting, but i don't think it's manageable since it's more expensive & less powerful, but alot of modding potential.

Performance is not the main thing, that is why Cayman 2.7 is being considered. Looking at current price if there's a E92 335i manual i'd choose that over Cayman 2.7.

I prefer stick than paddles. and handling more over performance. Of course Cayman S is better but i don't think i need to extra power in exchange fore higher road tax. And also a Porsche is always a Porsche.

The E92 is more all arounder but i guess Cayman is in it's own world in terms of driving satisfaction.

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK
Why theres no diesel car as your choice?

Many says diesel cars are damn good...

Any reason for not choosing diesel cars?:questionmark::hello:

I dont think diesel engine is good for spirited driving since they dont have top-end. But it's very good for city driving due to the monstrous torque.

That's my 2 cents based on 2.5G Toyota Vigo tho :biggrin:

syimirmazlan

Apr 25, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
if u want performance, comfort and style, go for the e92, its engine are very potential in tuning.stock e92 335i are nearly on par with an lancer evo in terms of performance.the f10 is also good car if u like style, have seen the m-sport version of the f10.wowwee it looks delicious.for the cayman?nahhh, high maintenance, not really good on performance since u can get way cheaper roadster like the honda s2000 for the same power and style.IMO

Starkiller

500 RPM
May 19, 2010
Hartamas
Hey bro, in my view.

the 335i
- Get it if you're a BMW fan, if not don't bother
- The power should be sufficient and its RWD which equals to more fun hahah.

the 523i
- Again, get it only if you're a fan of the badge
- Wouldn't be as fun as the 335i
- Definitely doesn't win the beauty contest (Although this is dependent on personal preference)

the Cayman
- Pretty, Quick and there's a element of presence
- It's a Porsche

I've left out maintenance and parts because as Tom said this shouldn't be the main issue in choosing a car from the Higher Tiers unless like me you're not the one paying the bills heh. In terms of space, I have never had a problem with the idea of coupes as you are buying a car for yourself and not your friends. However if you're a family man and this is a car to ferry your beloved family around then don't look at coupes. But if this a weekend car then don't even look at the 5-series.

Happy shopping!

Last edited:

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I'm not a BMW fan, in fact i often tease the E90 for it's tame looks & cheapo cut holder at the passenger side. But E92 always look much better than the E90 and i don't consider both quite the same car.

I think i'm ditching the idea of 523i, cost alot more, needs alot of money & time to tune it up, the only reason i considered it is because i saw 1 that came with manual gears. It's hard to imagine driving a big car with manual, imagine driving latest S class with manual gears...

E92 power is more than adequate. 300hp is no joke. Pity i never seen a manual version in Malaysia.

Cayman, not sure, sometimes it looks sexy at some angle while sometimes look not so sexy. I can only afford the 2.7L, the S seems great but taking everything into account it's much more exp than the E92 which is around 200k.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda Malaysia has just officiated the opening of a new 3S (Sales, Services and Spare Parts) centre with Tiong Nam Motor Sdn Bhd that's located in Setai Alam today...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience