Blow Off & Wastegates

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
Hi Guys,

I'm kinda new to the turbo world so I'm having this confusion here about the blow off and wastegates. The question is whether this 2 item is the same or they function differently? and also what the actuator do? is it a separate item also?

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
heh seem like everyone pretty busy at work, i found the answer and sharing here if anyone would like to know.

A wastegate works when you've got your foot in the throttle. A blowoff valves works when you let off the gas.

Wastegates
A wastegate basically just controls how much boost the turbo is going to run. Without any wastegate, the boost would just keep on climbing until the engine blows. What it does is it lets out the excess exhaust energy before it goes into the turbo.... If the wastegate is set at 10 pounds, once the turbocharger reaches 10 pounds, it will dump the rest of the exhaust gas out to maintain that 10 pounds of boost.

Blowoff
What about the blowoff valve? "Another name for a blowoff valve is a compressor bypass valve. What that's used for is a few things. One, when the turbo is boosting, there's pressure in the charge pipe that connects to the intake manifold through the throttle body. On a manual transmission vehicle, when you shift, you close the throttle. When the throttle closes, that pressure has nowhere to go, so ... it bounces back into the turbo, which stops the turbo blades from spinning and causes compressor surge. It tries to put the brake on the turbo.

The blowoff valve opens when the throttle closes. There's a vacuum in the intake manifold, and it uses that vacuum to open the blowoff valve to let the pressure out of the pipe, so the turbo keeps on spooling. If you prevent the compressor surge, it keeps the turbo spinning, so when you step back on the throttle, the boost is right there. It gets rid of the turbo lag when you shift, ... and it protects the turbocharger. When there's compressor surge every time you shift, that will put wear on the turbo."

:mouth_closed: source of information -

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=22417

hattasan

Known Member
Sep 9, 2006
owhh..i've been looking for these...
so how if im using automatic transmission?? the throttle never letgo, only let go when breaking....

hurm gut some advice??

sakakida

Known Member
Jul 5, 2005
KL
i think it work the same, you also new to turbo world? hahaha all the sifu who know it don't want to give advice le hahahah

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
not a skyline owner here...
but well..

in short, the wastegate delays the actuator's function to enable higher boost applications...

while the bov or cbv, is to release the compressed intake into the air as the throttle body's flap closes when the accelerator is lifted....to relieve the pressurised air to slow down the turbine and damage it in a long run...
however for cars running MAF, there could be a slight lag...

as for auto rides, yes...ur bov would probably only work when u lift ur accelerator......i.e. when slowing down, or when fiddling with ur throttle...

hope these helps..

Last edited:

BennyLim

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
for my case while i am auto gear box, blof off valve make the engine die off while release to much air and need to install HKS EIDS to set the engine timing.

for manual gear box jst need to do some minor tuning at your throttle i guess then it will be alright lo...

hehehehe....hope this simple statement helps... All day !

Regards,
Benny

hattasan

Known Member
Sep 9, 2006
ok now i now...
the bov is for the standart la...

if going to install the wastegate..that is the level 2 turbo..
u have to do the PnP (portNpolish - like that ke hah nak eja dia?)
use racing cam
all the racing things la..than baru la install that wastegate..
coz if only using standart turbo..no need the wastegate..sure the turbo can control..but if already modified..than can the wastegate is usefull..!!

tadaa...im going to be a turbo-man...soon...so soon..! :(

ek_elleh

500 RPM
Sep 5, 2005
KB
for my case while i am auto gear box, blof off valve make the engine die off while release to much air and need to install HKS EIDS to set the engine timing.

for manual gear box jst need to do some minor tuning at your throttle i guess then it will be alright lo...

hehehehe....hope this simple statement helps... All day
HKS EIDS... hm.. kind heard it before.. oh ya.. i got HKS EIDS PRO but dont know how to use it since there theres no installation manual :p

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam

hehehehe....hope this simple statement helps... All day !

Regards,
Benny
not sure if skylines are running MAF setup....coz...ur case sure sounds like it is...well, the engine stalling does happens depending on certain engine or bov models...
however, the cause is mainly bcoz..of the air volume read by the a/f sensor at the intake causes to ecu to calculate and inject the fuel in according preassigned a/f mapping ...so as the bov releases some pressurised air....the air volume in the intake actually decreases...so the second, the TB flap opens again, the mixture will turn out to be too rich...hence risk of lag or stalling...

drag_addict

Known Member
May 5, 2006
not sure if skylines are running MAF setup....coz...ur case sure sounds like it is...well, the engine stalling does happens depending on certain engine or bov models...
however, the cause is mainly bcoz..of the air volume read by the a/f sensor at the intake causes to ecu to calculate and inject the fuel in according preassigned a/f mapping ...so as the bov releases some pressurised air....the air volume in the intake actually decreases...so the second, the TB flap opens again, the mixture will turn out to be too rich...hence risk of lag or stalling...
sori to tumpang your thread mr sakakida..
im having this engine stalling prob with my rb25det auto whenever i sudden release my throttle..i changed my bov twice(from BLITZ ol' skool trumpet to HKS SSQV)n now got rid of them both but still prob persists..do u guys have any other solutions besides installing the EIDS coz this prob is certainly driving me crazy..but i'd certainly go for that stuff if it proves to overcome this..

tq in advance guys..

Innocente

Known Member
Oct 28, 2006
Your base idling is too low. Should be @ 600rpm in accordance to nissan's manual. But with our fuels, I think it would be wise to tune it up to 650-700rpm.

Innocente

Known Member
Oct 28, 2006
Wanna sell the SSQV ? heh heh...

Innocente

Known Member
Oct 28, 2006
oh btw, base idling is not the idle you see on your speedometer.

drag_addict

Known Member
May 5, 2006
oh btw, base idling is not the idle you see on your speedometer.
so where or how can i set the base idling?..or any place u can recommend bro?..n yes i wanna let go the SSQV..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum but I've seen a lot of great stuff going on here especially in the DIY sections. Truly Malaysia Boleh SPIRIT!!!

I've been wanting to install a engine start button for my car (for the cool factor ). Sorry in advance as I know that this DIY has been done on this DIY section before. I'm adding pictures to my post thru the process of installing the start button.

Here it goes...

1. Engine Start Button...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience