Begin the race life

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
i would like to know that how to, where to and what shoud i need to become a race driver...

although i had read all the page here, but i still confuse in all these...
can we make a sticky thread to conclude and share all the info and requirement to become a race driver?

although many people are asking the same question as mine, but it seem that not many racer in MME, minor or major race racer are care to tell us the answer..are they scare that new driver will outperform them?

get really fed up after read all the post....seem like hopeless....

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
there is nothing much to tell really. you need a budget (BIG preferably), a car to race ( own, borrowed, stolen or whatever), an event to race in and an AAM racing licence (need to have a medical check up, thats about it). some events just need you to pay a "club" entry fee, no AAM race licence needed.

to know more, try to hang out with the racing teams. go to sepang paddock. volunteer yourself to help out and hang out with a team. ask around and make friends with the racer faternity. if you see it yourself, then you'll know and understand much more than just hearing and reading what ppl say.

so go out there and see the events! MSS, Autocross, Drift, Drag, Rally etc etc.

hope that helps!

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
alexz said:
there is nothing much to tell really. you need a budget (BIG preferably), a car to race ( own, borrowed, stolen or whatever), an event to race in and an AAM racing licence (need to have a medical check up, thats about it). some events just need you to pay a "club" entry fee, no AAM race licence needed.

to know more, try to hang out with the racing teams. go to sepang paddock. volunteer yourself to help out and hang out with a team. ask around and make friends with the racer faternity. if you see it yourself, then you'll know and understand much more than just hearing and reading what ppl say.

so go out there and see the events! MSS, Autocross, Drift, Drag, Rally etc etc.

hope that helps!
AGREED!!!

1st of all, try to attend SIC open track day and do practice. Try to hang out with some racing team, You may get more experience and if you lucky may be you can join them in some of the racing events. As Volunteers and pit crew maybe. ( If want to join as driver you can if you can prove that you's pretty good driver plus with some big budget)
Racing really need alot of budget, another way is to look for sponsor but nobody will sponsor a nobody.
Have to work hard to achieve what we want.

e39a

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
OZ
Visit site
yeah man....VOLUNTEER....and be a pit crew...

help out here and there....

at least u can get some experience on how things are run, before and after race.....

but be prepared to work hard....and prolly without any pay...

akinateo

Known Member
Aug 20, 2005
kuala lumpur
hie howee...
as a full time racer....we never afraid newcomers....we always welcome them to race with us. Malaysia's motorsports industry are very small .... all the time you can only see the same face racing in the circuit. Those who are rich will be strong in the teams and always infront. those who are lack of sponsors will always at the back. Racing in malaysia are very controversial especially when you don't a strong support. Start your race life from low maybe from go-karting. get more experience in racing then only race with the big boys. Or involved more at sepang during events to know the RULES & REGULATION in the circuit.... Happy Racing

SpeedWanker

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
IMO if u really wanna be a race car driver and if u're not rich, i think its best u dedicate u're next 10 years in trying to make as much money as possible..i'm not trying to be sacarstic here but i'm speaking through experience and the truth hurts.. i've been a race mechanic for the past six years, worked internationaly on porsches and bmws around asia thinking someone there might just give me be at race car driving.. tough luck.. :(
even with all the experience, without money i couldn't even prepare my own race car for racing.. sigh..
just remember that if u've got the money, u can buy experience and knowledge, u can buy the fastest car, u can buy the best mechanics, u can buy the best equipments and best of all the hottest chicks..
in motorsports, money comes first then talent..
anyway to all u guys out there pls dont give up and good luck..

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
First thing, if you love the motorsports dont hope too much to get things from the sponsor. Even Karamjit Singh couldn't enough sponsor for this year's APRC.

As most of the replier here said, try to attend as much as motorsport events in Malaysia eg. attend motorsports meeting's, Proton Track Carnival meeting so that you can get to more with these people.

Well, if you got the money, leave malaysia and join racing school scholarhip in europe. If you wanna be a well known, experience and sucessful driver, you must be in europe to compete with other international drivers.

If you wanna make a career in motorsports, then you may have to leave the country and be based in europe unless you know a people in petronas or other big boys to guide you from initial stage. Good luck, Love motorsports, love Malaysia. Cheers.

Last edited:

webnation

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Is all about opportunity of exposure and also support. Juz say that Schmacher's son that everyone already eyeing on him, he definate has all the resources to become one and with most prestige inherited. example like Jaccque Villnueve, and Damon Hill. Secondly, if one enthusiat working long enough in racing team, once exposure long enough will definately would have someone pick him/her up in the rough and polish-up (provided if he/her is good la) Example like Bass Lamber team swiss hutless world champion of Super-ICC (karting), he worked at Go-kart renting place as mech, and he has picked up and shined. Lastly of course, ones' wealthy background and or some pull "strings" of political call. Just as short budget way, but at least get a car to race at every possible unsantioned event, get your name famous around races, wining is not matter, is about exposure and enthusiasm. You will be definately being eyed-on. Will someone approach you that is all depends how you present yourself. :)

Last edited:

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Own PR is important as well as to get to know people. Can't be too dependent on other people to seek sponsors.

Lot of people out there i meet they said 'wanna race but no sponsors'. How can the sponsors see if you dont make an effort to it. If you wanna race, be serious and dont look back. Look forward.

Well, im not serious, just having fun and enjoy with motorsports whenever i can afford myself.

U-Earn

Mar 10, 2005
Visit site
if u r serious into racing do take up some course... there are few school around tat i know tat provide such course which are

AAM, SADRA, AADA (www.aadasb.com).... i think you should find out for more acurate info and way into racing. tq....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi,

there is a small dent on my polo sedan right back door. its like a ding but slightly bigger. is a there any shops in pj area that can do repair without opening up the door panel to knock the dent out? i have heard of dry ice method. can anyone help?
thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience