b16a idling issues + sometimes hard to start

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i have these 2 problems which i encounter of late.

i) idling - my car idles around 0.9k-1.1k rpm. when the air cond is on, it can drop to somewhere like 0.4-0.5k rpm. also, sometimes when i rev the engine, the rpm drops to near 0 (engine starts to vibrate cuz nearly engine mati) but then it comes back to normal idle again. this feels like my siemens ecu 4g15... how do i overcome this? i really hate how it falls near 0 and back up..

ii) i notice during cold starts, its more difficult to start the engine. i m required to crank it like 2-3 times in order for it to start. i haven't encounter this before. only recently. when my engine is warm, it starts right away. alternator??

thanks sifu, your advise/help is much appreciated!

camshaft

Known Member
Nov 3, 2006
maybe it's ur plug...something wrong around ur ignition i guess...

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Ever tried cleaning your IACV. Normally it gets clogged with oil and debris from the crankcase that recirculates to the intake. I unhooked my rocker ventilation to the intake and put a filter on it so it doesn't get clogged. Never had that idling issue even with A/C anymore after cleaning the IACV.

About the cranking problem. Maybe thats an ignition or fuel related problem. Its either you don't have sufficient fuel pressure or plugs, cable and rotors are the culprit.

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
IACV eh, ok i'll get hattech-v to check on that. as for the 2nd problem, only recently it became like this, 2-3 days ago it was still fine. anyways, thanks for the feedback. i will certainly check into it.

btw just for my own knowledge, which is the IACV? i was also told by some sifu from other forums, to check the FITV? what is that? where?

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
cleaned the IACV, but my idle is still the same...

oh well, im gonna post a video here so u guys can see what i mean. BUUUT, streamyx is being a bitch, it takes forever to load a page.. sigh.. maybe later then..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
here's a video i recorded using my handphone. sorry for the poor image, but its clear enough to show how my rpm falls then climbs back up to normal idle. how do i rectify this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxXsqsC6Gb4[/media]

this thing irritates me, same like my siemens 4g15p last time ARGH :banghead:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Honestly that doesn't look too bad in the video. You are playing around with the throttle right? raising it to 2K rpm and then letting off. Try looking at the FITV as well. No CELS right? Diaphram on the FITV normally gets stuck if your radiator water is all rusty. Anyway, do you have any warm up issues? erratic idling during warm ups?

FITV is the located under the throttle body as per the picture.

Here's a troubleshooting guide.

Just a quick check on the FITV. before the throttle body flapper. There's a small hole there which is operated by the FITV. You'll feel a slight vaccuum there on the small hole. Try blocking it with your finger and ask someone to play around with the throttle and see if the same problem persists.

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
ohh ok i'll get my mech to check out the FITV.

well as for the playing around with the throttle, no CELs. but it isn't like that before this, and this is only suddenly... sometimes my idle drops real low like 0.4k rpm or so.. have to rev abit to get it back up.. normal? :stupid:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
What has been done to you car lately before it starts doing this weird things that you mentioned. We'll try starting from there instead of working backwards.

Things eliminated are:
1- Throttle body coz its already serviced.
2- IACV already serviced.
3- FITV already serviced.

Could you try posting a snapshot of your spark plug electrodes. Just wanna see something from it. You're issue is close to being like mine at the moment. Just that, i know what my problem is. I'm running too rich coz my fuel pump is too big which is killing the plug slowly at idle but i have no a/c low idle issue though unless i stay idling for a long time.

Any other sifu's opinion on his problem?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
thanks d-iv, oh ya, forgot to mention as well... the spark plugs have been check and faulty ones replaced. so pretty much i've done:

1- Throttle body coz its already serviced.
2- IACV already serviced.
3- FITV already serviced.
4- Faulty spark plugs replaced.

could it be due to vacuum leak? :stupid:

tsmlawz

Apr 8, 2008
Damansara/PJ
try changing ur idling valve...if better new ones lar...i have these problems also with my eg6...=) hope it will help...

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i had hattech-v check it out for me. apparently it was my distributor, a little too retarded.. haha. well it seems better now, or so... need to test it for a few days first.

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
so it's the distributor that make this problem ???

My car is also like that la...been years and still can't find the problem..

It's even worse than u, the rpm will go hunting...up and down it will go above few thousand rpm and down....repeatedly !

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
so it's the distributor that make this problem ???

My car is also like that la...been years and still can't find the problem..

It's even worse than u, the rpm will go hunting...up and down it will go above few thousand rpm and down....repeatedly !
could be related to all of those above mentioned. if ur distributor has not been touched before, probably its not. cuz the setting can be either retard or advance. u need a sifu to identify it.

mine after tonight's testing... sigh.. opposite of what the problem was. now its 0.8k go to 1.1k then back to 0.8k... then 1.1k again... like high cams, only 5 sec in between.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys can u tell me where to find this spring compressor....i want to diy change absorber just for the sake of experience(like american's people). i ve gone to lot of hardware shop but still cant find the thing.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience