air filter / box

stamen

Known Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wellington, NZ
Hi guys,

I'm using hks panel filter with standard box. thinking to change it to open pod filter, but seems to be troublesome to make a custom cold air box.

anyone have info of getting ready-installed cold air box?

cheers :)

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Bro, do you really want to change to open pods? Many Airterks still stay with stock airbox as it's the best. It has rain-proof cold air intake as well as you don't loose power much during hot days as compared to open pod. What is the reason for you to change? The sound?

Watch this, it is a good guide.
Mighty Car Mods - POD Filters Mythbusted - YouTube

stamen

Known Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wellington, NZ
i'm just curious how it performs compared to the stock airbox. the stock has quite a smaill airscoop if you compare it to subaru's, that's my concern. so i'm thinking to get pod filter with custom cold air box which can be connected to a bigger airscoop?
i wouldn't change to pod filter without proper cold air box, it'll just sucking hot air.

quite a good video, but they didn't adjust the tuning? fuel map might need to be checked / adjusted, don't you think?

what is your filter setup, if you dont mind...

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
td04 drop in will do.
td05 must open pod.td05 is a bigger sucker,stockbox lotsa restriction.if using open-pod,extra 2 washer to lift the bonnet up for better air circulation.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
i'm just curious how it performs compared to the stock airbox. the stock has quite a smaill airscoop if you compare it to subaru's, that's my concern. so i'm thinking to get pod filter with custom cold air box which can be connected to a bigger airscoop?
i wouldn't change to pod filter without proper cold air box, it'll just sucking hot air.

quite a good video, but they didn't adjust the tuning? fuel map might need to be checked / adjusted, don't you think?

what is your filter setup, if you dont mind...
I'm using knn drop ins. :)

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
btw,the air scoop is for intercooler not for air intake.if u change to fmic,the air scoop will be seal of to prevent direct water enter the engine.
if u using oped pod edi,leave it as it.putting box is just another restriction.may as well use back ori air intake.
air scoop is a nice cosmetic thing.if putting at wrong place will cause electrical part malfunction such as sensors.air flow sensor is kinda exp.

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
I'll second to that.
Dun go for open pod air filters if U're running turbocharged & modded the engine for more power.
Try opening the hood after your car has warmed up & driven for a while, U can feel how hot it is inside the engine compartment.
Your engine will be sucking all that hot air if U're using an open pod filter.
Furthermore, chances of engine knocking very high.
U will not be able to use RON95. Hot intake air temp promote detonation, car's ECU will retard ignition timing & there will be a significant power drop when driving under boost.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
there where 2 washer come in handy to lift the bonnet up by 0.5cm for better air circulation.
upgrade the fan to evo front mount fan to solve this problem too.

Last edited:

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Hey, just realized Stamen is not local. NZ is it?
Welcome..welcome!! U used to joined us at Airtreker.com huh?

stamen

Known Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wellington, NZ
btw,the air scoop is for intercooler not for air intake.if u change to fmic,the air scoop will be seal of to prevent direct water enter the engine.
if u using oped pod edi,leave it as it.putting box is just another restriction.may as well use back ori air intake.
air scoop is a nice cosmetic thing.if putting at wrong place will cause electrical part malfunction such as sensors.air flow sensor is kinda exp.
hmm... not that airscoop... sorry... i didn't mention clear enough or i used the wrong term.. under the bonnet there is 'airscoop' which connected to the box of the air filter..

stamen

Known Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wellington, NZ
I'll second to that.
Dun go for open pod air filters if U're running turbocharged & modded the engine for more power.
Try opening the hood after your car has warmed up & driven for a while, U can feel how hot it is inside the engine compartment.
Your engine will be sucking all that hot air if U're using an open pod filter.
Furthermore, chances of engine knocking very high.
U will not be able to use RON95. Hot intake air temp promote detonation, car's ECU will retard ignition timing & there will be a significant power drop when driving under boost.
yes bro... too hot... wouldn't use pod filter without proper cold air box... i've tuned it on 98.. so far good... only saw 1-2 knocks on WOT

stamen

Known Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wellington, NZ
i'm talking about this 'air scoop'. not the intercooler air scoop

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

well before this i had tighten the handbrake by adjusting the screw at the handbrake and now it get loose again after my mech pull da handbrake like bull liddat.. so now i wanna adjust the screw but its a max aledi and i still not satisfy with the handbrake tightness.. is there any other place where i can adjust to make it tighter?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience