About Tappets - Protons

There is no absolute perfect way to get rid of the tappet noise. It is by design. After all, hydraulic tappets were technological wonders in the 70s n 80s. Even now, the latest Volks GTI (5th Gen) uses hydraulic tappets.

After going through various type of oils... the only conclusion is to follow Mitsu's recommendation... which is 20W50. I've tried thinner oils b4... as low as 0W30 n now using thicker 15W50. The thinner the oil, engine runs smoother and feels lighter but burns up faster (I had to top up every 2 weeks or 2000km - missing 1L) and costs more (OUCH!). With thicker oil, engine feels heavier n less responsive but maintainance cheaper (I only top 1L when reaching 4000km). I even tried addictives (Tufoil included) with thicker oil such as Motul 4100 Power 15W/50 but makes no diff except some minor (less than 2% fuel savings - yes, my right foot is kinda heavy, mostly 70% on throttle)

After 2 months of using Motul, the tappet noise went away and only comes back when it is time to top up (almost reaching 4000km).

Bear the sound la....This shows tat u hav mitsu engine under ur hood. Hehe....

20W50 for mine is stil noisy n engine less responsive la.
Now use Eneos 15W40 sounds nice n feels very light as well...

For those who are desperate to get rid of iritating tappets noises, try Tufoil if everything else don't seem to work. We have seen so many cars cured of tappet noises with the addition of Tufoil. Thicker oil don't work and because of higher oil shearing reistance, you suffer poor mileage and there is more wear and tear because heavy oils are sloppy and just too slow. Camshafts can't wait all day to receive fresh cleaned oil.

i have this sound for my 8 months old waja auto also....if kick down da pedal, can hear tat tappet sound, but not really loud lar, same problem goes to my wira also, but last time send my wira to mech n do some adjustment for da timing belt, problem solved....

my 4G93 have been running fine with mobil1 0w-40 fully-syn ever since run-in although some SC told me not to.

engine was always pushed hard till red-line and sometimes rev-cut zone.
advice would b to change the oil and service the car regularly as hydraulic tappet dislike sludgy oil

that oil MOBIL 1 0/40w is too light bro... surely ur high rev will b smoother but there will b tappet sound 4 sure (i used it b4) cause its too thin to make a cushion :smile: ... sumtimes have to give n take.. sumtimes the sound got nothing to do wit the old... but the tappet o rocker arm itself...... last time my fren had this tappet sound on VR4, after he tekan till 180km/h no more sound after that... i donno wats the reason 4 that... :biggrin: another way i heard is to soak valve lifter n tappets wit diesel for afew day... if im wrong correct me ppl... thanx :tee:

valve lash adjustment for 4g15, can diy lah, see here.

make sure u do it when the engine is hot and take care of the cover gasket+sealant :smile:

my car 4g13p also kena! Mostly morning when going to work. Tufoil how much? Where to get? Is it Iswara can be adjusted? If can then no need Tufoil liao.

Carera, tell us where you live or work, and we will tell you of nearest place to get the award-winning Tufoil.

im using a 4G93T. im thinking of trying Q8 or the eunos engine oil. my engine kuat makan engine oil wan so what should i get? where to get these oils btw and how much? I rarely see them around damansara area. currently using castrol magnatec. tappet sound quite loud =( thanks guys.

putra_dreamin said:
im using a 4G93T. im thinking of trying Q8 or the eunos engine oil. my engine kuat makan engine oil wan so what should i get? where to get these oils btw and how much? I rarely see them around damansara area. currently using castrol magnatec. tappet sound quite loud =( thanks guys.

If 'kuat makan engine oil' means piston ring need to replace and need to replace and no matter which engine oil u use, it makes no diff.

acbc said:
If 'kuat makan engine oil' means piston ring need to replace and need to replace and no matter which engine oil u use, it makes no diff.

thanks bro and actually im aware that i will need to replace my piston rings or my valve seals. but not so soon as i have some other commitments. for the time being ill just have to top up more frequently.

in any case where can i get these engine oils and for how much? im looking for semi synths. thanks bro

putra_dreamin said:
thanks bro and actually im aware that i will need to replace my piston rings or my valve seals. but not so soon as i have some other commitments. for the time being ill just have to top up more frequently.

in any case where can i get these engine oils and for how much? im looking for semi synths. thanks bro

If that is the case, don't buy expensive oil because u will be spending more money in the long run. Buy those cheap mineral-based ones (less than RM 50) and continue to use until u replace the piston rings or valve seals.

A price of 1 bottle of semi-synth cost approx RM 100 and u can buy 2 bottles of mineral and top up often. The difference is u will have balance of mineral oil in case u need to top up further during long distance travelling.

acbc said:
If that is the case, don't buy expensive oil because u will be spending more money in the long run. Buy those cheap mineral-based ones (less than RM 50) and continue to use until u replace the piston rings or valve seals.

A price of 1 bottle of semi-synth cost approx RM 100 and u can buy 2 bottles of mineral and top up often. The difference is u will have balance of mineral oil in case u need to top up further during long distance travelling.

minerals for a turbo? hurm.. well, it wont be that long so i dun mind using semi synth. thanks for the advice again bro. but id like to know where to get the Q8 engine oil and how much would it cost for semi synth? ive also heard of HKS engine oil.

putra_dreamin said:
minerals for a turbo? hurm.. well, it wont be that long so i dun mind using semi synth. thanks for the advice again bro. but id like to know where to get the Q8 engine oil and how much would it cost for semi synth? ive also heard of HKS engine oil.

Hks semi rm110 if not mistaken...can get from zth member -"Accord Racing' location at kepong..

Q8 Semi syn 10w/40 rm82...can get from me :biggrin: setapak area

i`m using Q8 semi but tappet sound still loud ..... any way to overcome this problem ar ?

informative thread, v6 eterna here

some even recommend i change all the tappets - all of them, some say my tappets might be wrongly positioned as the previous owner open the top before, some recommend that i flush the engine a few times, some say cannot flush hydraulic valve, some say the valve are serviceable, some say use better or higher viscosity oil ... some say just don bother it la ... but so noisy ...

so what i wanna know now is where can i get this Tufoil?

and i just changed to cheaper Castrol oil, just below semi-synthetic wan, can i just flush them out and replace them with Q8 and then top up with Castrol?

Last edited:
TUFOIL??
anyone has the picture of the bottle?i have been using perodua(petronas) semi synthethic oil for soo long for my kancil...so far,i maintain my service period between 10000km....

can anyone give an opinion bout this?

mine also has that tappet sound but only a few time...sometime when the mood of the car is good the sound doesn't came out at all even in the cold morning...

is it perodua have the same spec(automatically adjusted tappet) just like protons?

Tufoil? Just go to Forums.You can read hundreds of pages on Tufoil. Also check the Tufoil review by zth.

Top Bottom