What is there in a "Full Overhaul Kit"?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear fellow forumers...

I was just wondering, what is the list of stuff included if we buy a full overhaul kit? Pistons, rings and what else?

the reason I ask this is because some time when my car is due for overhaul, I can "rojak" some parts. I can mix and match used performance parts from chop shop and I can buy the wear and tear stuff new from dealer.

For example, my engine is 4AFE. Maybe can rojak 4AGZE crankshaft and conrods. Then buy separately new pistons and rings...

You get the idea...

Hope all can share... Thanks!

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
this is what ive learnt. sifus please correct/add info.

normally we do "overhaul" only when required example: white smoke, bearing sounds, signs of a cracked block, something serious that will require the block to be dismantled.

overhaul got 2 terms top and bottom.

Top normally valve seals, oil seals, adjusters,check valves.

bottom - piston rings,bearings,head gasket,lay,skim,bore.

so if in the even if you ever need to do a top overhaul? at the same time can consider upgrading cams or set/adjust cams.

if need to do botom? according to budget la...good time to bore put bigger piston with higher/lower comp, thicker gasket to lower comp and can up boost(if applicable), block guard, change crankshaft to stroke up cc, change to performance conrods etc la...depends on your target and budget la bro.

:itsme:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
if need to do botom? according to budget la...good time to bore put bigger piston with higher/lower comp, thicker gasket to lower comp and can up boost(if applicable), block guard, change crankshaft to stroke up cc, change to performance conrods etc la...depends on your target and budget la bro.

:itsme:
I know... That is exactly what I want to do. That's why I ask what comes together in a "Full overhaul kit" (Top and bottom). To that I can buy the parts separately. Because some of it I want to buy performance parts. So if I buy the whole kit, I will get overlapping items which wastes money. If I know what is there included, I can pick the parts myself separately...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
what you mean overlap bro? how to advise if you dont tell us what you plan to do?

what performance part you are buying or intend to buy? :confused:

if you are buying new pistons high comp low comp it will come with piston rings...diff crank..conrods....the whole block can be replaced by performance parts ...so hope you share your complete plan/mod list...then easier to advise what will overlap

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
full overhaul kit only consist gasket and oil seals as far as i know....

the hardware surely u have to buy separately

:adore:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
K for example if I wanted to overhaul but I want to upgrade to high comp pistons. If I buy the whole overhaul set, I get the stock pistons. Then I go and buy high comp pistons separately. SO means I got extra stock pistons but not using it. So there will be a wasted of money.

It is better that I don't buy the overhaul kit. I just pick and mix the parts myself.

Err.. You get what I mean?

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

full overhaul kit only consist gasket and oil seals as far as i know....

the hardware surely u have to buy separately

:adore:
Thanks... That helps... Hmm... But I've came across full overhaul kit that includes pistons and rings... selling online overseas...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
K for example if I wanted to overhaul but I want to upgrade to high comp pistons. If I buy the whole overhaul set, I get the stock pistons. Then I go and buy high comp pistons separately. SO means I got extra stock pistons but not using it. So there will be a wasted of money.

It is better that I don't buy the overhaul kit. I just pick and mix the parts myself.

Err.. You get what I mean?

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Thanks... That helps... Hmm... But I've came across full overhaul kit that includes pistons and rings... selling online overseas...
welll...if u realy sure that kit 100% fit to your engine and spec. as you planned then go on...

but if u have another plan or especially built the engine to your spec. then better don't buy complete kit....just buy what u need.....thats my opinion :adore:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
welll...if u realy sure that kit 100% fit to your engine and spec. as you planned then go on...

but if u have another plan or especially built the engine to your spec. then better don't buy complete kit....just buy what u need.....thats my opinion :adore:
Yes.. That's why... I want to buy all parts separately. That's why I need to know what are the stuff to buy... All I know is pistons, rings, all the seals. I need to know the complete list of items to change. That is what I am asking here. Basically I want to strip it apart and make it new. Rebuild with as much new parts as possible...

Normally if ask the mech they will know right?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Yes.. That's why... I want to buy all parts separately. That's why I need to know what are the stuff to buy... All I know is pistons, rings, all the seals. I need to know the complete list of items to change. That is what I am asking here. Basically I want to strip it apart and make it new. Rebuild with as much new parts as possible...

Normally if ask the mech they will know right?
if your engine still working good....

then not much....

valve seal along all other seals,metal gasket (or good gasket)

maybe forged pistons and conrod,race bearing

and probably sending the crankshaft for full balancing and heat treated....

worth to check your oilpump and waterpump along... :adore:

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
came across this thread :P
good to know this as well .

anyway, i have a question as well, for top overhaul, what is included and how much would it cost roughly ?
both cost for the kit and also the service .

and if do top overhaul, do they clean the throttle body, fuel injector, fuel rail and all?

how much is it and how long does it normally take ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I need some suggestion or advice if i want to add on turbo kit for my Silvertop engine (4AGE-20V)!!! Please anybody have x;perience for this engine ... please tell me how much cost and what brand of turbo kit to use and other stuff....thank you.:shocked:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience