What car to buy? (Part 2)

ez64

Refering to my earlier thread below.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-modification/299422-what-car-to-buy.html

After much consideration. I thought of going for a proton putra since it is the only performance car i knew with loan still available for year 2000 and 2001 model. Besides the price is affordable and lots of parts to play with and maintenance cost is cheaper. What you sifuz out there think about my choice? Please help this newbie shift from 2 wheeler to 4 wheeler world.

Nice choice... but if you like modding, better buy a modded one, and mod on top of that, save hell lot of money...

putra parts are running out....last production putra was 2001.....
i suggest better go for satria gti.....with E3 inside..hehe

putra parts are running out....last production putra was 2001.....
i suggest better go for satria gti.....with E3 inside..hehe

Satria GTi is nice but i don't really like hatchback cars. Coupe is more like my cup of tea.

putra still the best choice for perfomance for me la..but too bad its rarely sell..gud luck for you hunting bro..

if can buy modded one bro...the version you are buying is the siemens one....its gonna be $$.

if can buy modded one bro...the version you are buying is the siemens one....its gonna be $$.

I know that 2001 batch uses siemens ecu but really worry to buy modded one coz worry of reliability. U never know what has been done on the engine and how's the condition. Later kena tipu and have to spend $$$$$ just to repair. Besides sometimes what other people mod can really be good and have no problems but after it changes hand, all kinds of problem appear due to bad luck.

Konon nyer, the car merajuk....i know it sounds silly but its happen to many ppl..including me.

Anyways,you are right about the buying modded car..there are risks involved and you dont know the history of the car.

Konon nyer, the car merajuk....i know it sounds silly but its happen to many ppl..including me.

Me too feel it's silly but it does really happen but somehow unexplainable. I'm really concern towards the condition coz even when we check the car before buying, you still can't detect all problems. If it's because of wear and tear parts than it's normal but i worry the major one such as engine, gearbox, wiring and other things.

Last edited:
before making the purchase, take the car to a mechanic you are familiar with..they will check for you.

from the obvious things...make sure there is no white smoke coming out of the car...no loud sounds in the engine bay..(belt sounds is ok)During the test drive...see if the car accelerates smoothly.

gears,i guess as long as all gears can be easily engaged..it should be fine..dont know if there is other ways to check.

most importantly check if the car has been through any major accidents.

If a dealer wanna cheat you, regardless modded or plain stock he will praise it skyhigh to cheat you, vice versa a honest dealer will not cheat you if the modded putra really has problem...

From my experience, and i believe a lot of modded vehicle owner share the same experience, buying a healthy modded vehicle really*100 save a lot...

Talk abt the modifying pleasure, you will always have sth to mod even it's a 400ps machine so it's not a problem... Since you are going to spend effort searching for a good condition car, why not searching for a modded car?? Both waste same amount of effort if it can be measured : ) and most important!!! COST SAVING~~

I would assume that 8 out of 10 mod kaki that had go through making a "nothing" car to "someting" car, will opt for a healthy 2nd hand modded car as base if they knew it would cost them so much at first place... where are the remaining 2?? oh yeah, 1 is the car has special meaning to him so he cant bear to sell it, the very last one who will go for new car is just simply he's loaded... just my 2 cents...

Any sifuz out there who can give me tips on how to examine 2nd cars before buying. Can sifuz recommend me any good mechanic around KL area so that i can bring him along too to see the car

Can sifuz guide me on things to look out for and check before buying proton putra? What are the common problems that i will face and suggestion on repairing them? Please suggest me any good shop in KL, PJ and Sunway area

Hi, I'm new here. Name's Ahmad. It seems that people play around with local cars only. how bout continental cars like VW? Is it difficult to find spare parts or what?

well yea definitely. spare parts are expensive. still, i think the VW market is growing what with the launch of 3 fab cars: passat cc, scirocco, and golf gti

If people have options then they just play around with local car... and wallet provide option list...

In the end it all boils down to the wallet. Or else I'm sure those who are concerned with social status would not confine themselves to our local makes

Currently just started working for abt 1.5 years so better start slow. Thats why i choose putra. Besides other cars such as dc2, 180sx, Civic all can't get loan. So very less option.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom