Used Civic with high mileage

Jan 16, 2023
Hi guys!

Been looking at used cars lately, and have been eyeing a Honda Civic ES 2.0.
Body not ideal, but still drives ok for the short time I test drove it.
One glaring issue is the mileage, already been driven almost 400k km.

Engine not overhauled before.

This model not easy to find, and since the condition not ideal, price can still be negotiated (currently around 19k).

Should I nego to a lower price, or just give up on this unit entirely?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
400k mileage, thats very high and not advisable. Unless you knew the owner very well and you can trust.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If rare, scare parts also difficult to get. Better off getting a more common model......

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys!

Been looking at used cars lately, and have been eyeing a Honda Civic ES 2.0.
Body not ideal, but still drives ok for the short time I test drove it.
One glaring issue is the mileage, already been driven almost 400k km.

Engine not overhauled before.

This model not easy to find, and since the condition not ideal, price can still be negotiated (currently around 19k).

Should I nego to a lower price, or just give up on this unit entirely?
If it's never been overhauled you better prepare some budget to do that or swap the engine to a b-series or k-series.

This ES shell is everlasting and there are tons of them on the road still after all these years - I'm inclined to think they will last and are pretty solid with minimal rust issues. The only thing is the gearbox and engine - but that's not really a problem if you have the budget to build a good engine and gb. Most if not all do B18 swaps with the stock 5 speed gb combination and unless your mech knows what he's doing, better to stick to stock and don't rojak B20 block and all that good stuff.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Whenever we are getting an old car or bike that we really want, we must be mentally prepared and accept that it will require money for quite some time until we are totally satisfied with the condition.

From my experience with my Pajero and my bro Merc W124 (just sold 2 month ago), engine and gearbox is not a big issue regardless of mileage as with enough money plus right mech it will be as good as new. My Pajero ODO is 765k with unknown history.

What bugs me down are interior parts and body parts. It can be very hard to find and prices will be ridiculus. My advise is better to go for a car with original faded paint than a car which is painted but got some deep dents or scratch which require major bodywork. Dont forget..check for all interior parts and trim as they are either very expensive or worst not available. Seats and paint can be re done.

piddip

Jan 16, 2023
Thanks for replying, guys!

Yeah, after some consideration, I think I will give up on this unit. It was cheap and not easy to find, but oh well.

Time to hunt for another one :D

Happy Chinese New Years!

piddip

Jan 16, 2023
400k mileage, thats very high and not advisable. Unless you knew the owner very well and you can trust.
Yeah, even though my heart says yes, I have to listen to the sense in my head.

If rare, scare parts also difficult to get. Better off getting a more common model......
One of my concerns as well, since this model is not as common as other generations. One month maybe see one or two only on the road in my area.

If it's never been overhauled you better prepare some budget to do that or swap the engine to a b-series or k-series.

This ES shell is everlasting and there are tons of them on the road still after all these years - I'm inclined to think they will last and are pretty solid with minimal rust issues. The only thing is the gearbox and engine - but that's not really a problem if you have the budget to build a good engine and gb. Most if not all do B18 swaps with the stock 5 speed gb combination and unless your mech knows what he's doing, better to stick to stock and don't rojak B20 block and all that good stuff.
My worries are with other parts as well, engine mounts, interior, this and that. Those parts should be also riding on 400k mileage, which I guess will cause unforeseen issues in the future.

Whenever we are getting an old car or bike that we really want, we must be mentally prepared and accept that it will require money for quite some time until we are totally satisfied with the condition.

From my experience with my Pajero and my bro Merc W124 (just sold 2 month ago), engine and gearbox is not a big issue regardless of mileage as with enough money plus right mech it will be as good as new. My Pajero ODO is 765k with unknown history.

What bugs me down are interior parts and body parts. It can be very hard to find and prices will be ridiculus. My advise is better to go for a car with original faded paint than a car which is painted but got some deep dents or scratch which require major bodywork. Dont forget..check for all interior parts and trim as they are either very expensive or worst not available. Seats and paint can be re done.
Very true and advise taken. I will be looking at more common cars, wouldn't want to be stuck waiting and finding for rare parts.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
One of my concerns as well, since this model is not as common as other generations. One month maybe see one or two only on the road in my area.
I still have a Hyundai Sonata 3, back then still can find parts. Engine not a problem as was based on MItsu engine, but mountings etc. need to use Hyundai ones which is expensive. Main problem now is body parts, since this model was imported, not much chopped parts too. If it is the Sonata 5 model, then ok since that was the ckd model.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for replying, guys!

Yeah, after some consideration, I think I will give up on this unit. It was cheap and not easy to find, but oh well.

Time to hunt for another one :D

Happy Chinese New Years!
actually, what civic is so rare that you can't find parts wor?

Reactions: alcyon

piddip

Jan 16, 2023
actually, what civic is so rare that you can't find parts wor?
Not rare, just slightly more uncommon than other models. One week maybe can only spot one or two, when other models I can spot on more daily basis.

The 7th Gen model.

Am looking at cars that are more common now, Camrys, Accords, Altises (Alti?), City, Vios from around the same generation.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
That
Not rare, just slightly more uncommon than other models. One week maybe can only spot one or two, when other models I can spot on more daily basis.

The 7th Gen model.

Am looking at cars that are more common now, Camrys, Accords, Altises (Alti?), City, Vios from around the same generation.
The 7th gen isn't rare before 8th gen came out, just that too many 7th gen owners traded in for the 8th gen. I think the suspension parts are interchangable with DC5 including engine and gearbox. You can make your own 4 dr Integra with much better comfort. Opt for the K24 block with 6 speed manual.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone out there know how to improve the performance of this car? E.g. the suspension,spring .What brand and where to get it? Thank u very much.:embaressed_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience