Urgent help for Honda Civic EG9 (SR4)

aranny2001

Known Member
hi guys, im facing this problem for long. the temperature increse during sudden ramp to 5k rpm for 2~3 sec only... below shown the detail of my car and problem~

my Car: Honda Civic EG9 (SR4) 95

Engine : ME516 SOHC non vtec (D16)

radiator: just change from stock to koyorad aluminium core with bottom and top fibre cover. Just did
my radiator washed not even 3 months ago. with Denso coolant. Thermostat used to
removed when my dad use that car. Honda service centre removed it long time ago when he
also face the overheat problem. theromostat removed, problem solved

problem: 1) my car previous didn't put coolant, cause last time my dad still use to drive it, he dont
like to put coolant, reason i dont know~

2) before i use his car, i did a water jacket wash and radiator wash as well, but after 3 months while on the way from klang back to melaka at the highway, i saw my temp shoot up to maximum which shown in the cluster. luckily gasket didnt burn, i go to wash the radiator and water jacket AGAIN also did the top overhaul be since it's the old engine... time to do something on it. and change to koyorad aluminium rad.the stock radiator i can see alot of metal pieces or something like a plastic stuck at the radiator passage fin:confused:

3) one thing i found while they wash the water jacket with that machine, i can see the water is clean and only a very very few tiny black thing underneath the water. then next day i open up the radiator cap, saw some metal particle stuck inside the radiator fin! oh no!

4) to monitor my cooling system, i fit an aftermarket water temp gauge digital type (prosport). when time getting longer i can see my normal operating temp is increase slightly and i found the radiator inside for alot of metal pieces or particle inside.... gosh~ im really headache now... what the fxxx wrong with my cooling system. :banghead: dont tell me i need to wash my radiator every 5000km? :afraid::frown: where is the metal pieces coming from~ EXPERT please help me~

thx~

uptate info latest :just now i was stuck in a heavy traffic jam for 1 hour plus, as i monitor the water temp gauge, initially it shown 78 degree, then after than start increase to 80 degree, then for about another 15 minutes after, it raise to 81~82 degree, another half and hour it raise to 85~90 degree..imagine it's at night time about 8 p.m... when the traffic is smooth, i drive at speed of 90km/h it drop to 86 degree and maintain until i reach home when enter the taman, it drop to 85degree.... could it possible the water pump problem plus with the blockage of radiator?:confused:

Last edited:
There could be many causes for rising temperature. Sometimes, when things like this happen, we tend to look deep into the more complicated things like what you did. I'm not saying that what you did is wrong, in fact, its good. This happened to me a few months back. I was looking high and low for the problem, changed this and that, did this and that but still the problem persisted. In the end, it was just the radiator hose that was leaking. Lol.. It cost me less than 30 bucks to fix that. But i spent a few hundreds to find the actual cause.

Looking at what you have done, I doubt your car has a leaking radiator hose. But if you have not checked it, no harm in trying. As for me, the was one hose at the back which I didn't know that both me and my mechanics overlooked. Its understandable if I missed it but i think my mech's took me for a ride. Lol...

There could be many causes for rising temperature. Sometimes, when things like this happen, we tend to look deep into the more complicated things like what you did. I'm not saying that what you did is wrong, in fact, its good. This happened to me a few months back. I was looking high and low for the problem, changed this and that, did this and that but still the problem persisted. In the end, it was just the radiator hose that was leaking. Lol.. It cost me less than 30 bucks to fix that. But i spent a few hundreds to find the actual cause.

Looking at what you have done, I doubt your car has a leaking radiator hose. But if you have not checked it, no harm in trying. As for me, the was one hose at the back which I didn't know that both me and my mechanics overlooked. Its understandable if I missed it but i think my mech's took me for a ride. Lol...

but the problem is the water level is not drop. anf metal pieces are there...i fit an aftermarjet digital water temp gauge to monitor the temp. when i rev to 5k rpm for 2~3 sec, then release the throttle also come to a traffic light stop. the temperature increase gradually... very scary until my gauge shown 96℃ which is a the red band for thr gauge. but the cluster one still show normal(( most ppl said the cluster temp gauge is bit retarded). I'm thinking could this possiblr due to the water pump ? the impeller tends to rush and break out the pieces?

try to do a pressure test.....suspect there could be a leak somewhere....

Did you face any temperature problem before you changed your radiator to aluminium?

try to do a pressure test.....suspect there could be a leak somewhere....

did last 2 months for leak check... problem is water level nv drop and matel rust pieces stuck at the water passage fin

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Did you face any temperature problem before you changed your radiator to aluminium?

yes, change most of the things except the water pump nv touch.... could it possible the pump cause the rust metal pieces stuck at the water passage fin?

Sounds to me like you have a blown headgasket..

Had a similar issue whereby water just keeps getting pushed into the coolant overflow tank, but there was no oil in the radiator. Turns out combustion air was being pushed into the engine's water jacket, but not mixing with the oil lines.

Easiest way to test is to take off the radiator cap of a cool car

Warm up the engine. Give it a few revs so that it hits operating temperature. Fan must start kicking in (coz this temp means the thermostat should also be open). Your car's temp gauge should reach the usual range / position.

Quickly rev the engine hard from the engine bay (pull the throt cable). If you see bubbles in the radiator in sync with your revs, ta-da you found your problem :)

Sounds to me like you have a blown headgasket..

Had a similar issue whereby water just keeps getting pushed into the coolant overflow tank, but there was no oil in the radiator. Turns out combustion air was being pushed into the engine's water jacket, but not mixing with the oil lines.

Easiest way to test is to take off the radiator cap of a cool car

Warm up the engine. Give it a few revs so that it hits operating temperature. Fan must start kicking in (coz this temp means the thermostat should also be open). Your car's temp gauge should reach the usual range / position.

Quickly rev the engine hard from the engine bay (pull the throt cable). If you see bubbles in the radiator in sync with your revs, ta-da you found your problem :)

water level nv drop and did a top overhaul last 2 months. problem os where the rust metel pieces came from?

what is the engine block made of ?
is it cast iron or alloy block ?
probably some sort of chemical reaction that cause the oxidation which leads to those small metal particles or something ?

what is the engine block made of ?
is it cast iron or alloy block ?
probably some sort of chemical reaction that cause the oxidation which leads to those small metal particles or something ?

the mech who did the top overhaul for my engine he told me it is aluminium block i think probably alloy, he said this kind of block wont get rust and very good in heat dissipation. so as for logical thinking, my rad already aluminium, engine block wont get rust,hose made of rubber of course, hmmm one last thing i suspicious is the water pump impeller~:hmmmm: could it be made of metal which can cause rust? how much does a water pump cost any idea? thinking to ask mech to open it up

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

just now i was stuck in a heavy traffic jam for 1 hour plus, as i monitor the water temp gauge, initially it shown 78 degree, then after than start increase to 80 degree, then for about another 15 minutes after, it raise to 81~82 degree, another half and hour it raise to 85~90 degree..imagine it's at night time about 8 p.m... when the traffic is smooth, i drive at speed of 90km/h it drop to 86 degree and maintain until i reach home when enter the taman, it drop to 85degree.... could it possible the water pump problem plus with the blockage of radiator?:confused:

blockage of radiator wont overheat during idle/traffic jam unless the blockage is very severe where your case shouldnt be that severe since just change & wash
is it whenever u rev it to 5k rpm for seconds then the temp will rise ? i mean everytime u rev it rise ?

blockage of radiator wont overheat during idle/traffic jam unless the blockage is very severe where your case shouldnt be that severe since just change & wash
is it whenever u rev it to 5k rpm for seconds then the temp will rise ? i mean everytime u rev it rise ?

my radiator blockage is quite serious as i opened up the cap can see so many metal pieces block all the water passage fin that i could see from the top~

yea can say so, whenever i rev up to 5k:adore:

is your radiator fan working properly?
is your pump working properly ?
seems like its not moving the water for dissipation .

cause of overheat usually due to leaking, blockage, fan, fan switch, thermostat, water pump & engine itself.
since u dad is the previous user. ask him if he remember when he last change the water pump.
from there should help u to know if the pump faulty.
b4 all that make sure ur car actually overheat. meaning not temp sensor playing u around which happen to alot ppl.

oh yeah, most of us forgot about that part .
check the water temp sensor .
sometimes, even the gauge itself is problematic .
Happened to my brother in law .
using ek99 standard engine .

the meter cluster gearing problem which always reports overheating .
done some diagnostic and found out that the gauge gear kaput .
change that solve the problem .

is your radiator fan working properly?
is your pump working properly ?
seems like its not moving the water for dissipation .

i think may be the pump not good already....:confused:

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

oh yeah, most of us forgot about that part .
check the water temp sensor .
sometimes, even the gauge itself is problematic .
Happened to my brother in law .
using ek99 standard engine .

the meter cluster gearing problem which always reports overheating .
done some diagnostic and found out that the gauge gear kaput .
change that solve the problem .

the aftermarket gauge come with sensor. the cluster temp sensor is tap outlet of the radiator before the engine. whilw the aftermarket sensor is tap outlet of the engine before the radiator inlet. it is use to know engine itself temp..but if the water out from the radiator is not cool enough also cant really cool the engine during operation. so for me the gauge i think no problem gua.... cause it's new just fit a month ago. prosport stepper motor digital type

erm, possible the pump bearing broken or something ?
causing it to produce those little metal or something .
suspect your pump, try check it out .

Top Bottom