"Tok Tok" sound from engine

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

acuralover

Hi guys...i have this weird "tok tok" sound coming from my engine bay and this sound is driving me crazy....especially idling and in the night...

it happens ONLY when i off aircon..and strangely enough when i on the aircon, the sound seems to be gone....

i do not know whats the problem and would greatly appreciate if anyone knows of such problem before...

could it be tappets? or compressor gone?

:(

last time when i hear loud tok tok was when my conrod bearing is damaged......

mine is opposite site.. when on the air cond it will have tok tok sound if off it no sound...

so weird....
i did send to woorkshop but the mechanic also cant help....

mine is opposite site.. when on the air cond it will have tok tok sound if off it no sound...

so weird....
i did send to woorkshop but the mechanic also cant help....

hrmm, i have the same problem as you bro. More like a "tak tak tak' sound...

can't say anything.. the way you describe the tok tok sound very vague.. any ideas where it's coming from?
The block? The air cond components? Where?

the head actually....the sound from the head...i realised something..its coming as long as i turn on engine..at 1st i tot its oni when i off aircon..but i am wrong...the sound is there as long as i am driving....

hard to say for sure. might be something inside that's loose or something.. if you're confident about your mechanic skills, why don't open up the valve cover and see? I think probably the rocker arm at the cam follower area worn.. nothing big, just lose some valve lift, I think.

Just make sure you don't leave anything inside when you close it up, or else that minor problem will become a major problem.. :P

Last edited:
Just to share my experience, my accord has similiark noise during idling. The noise came from belting side (timing belt). Since x-owner confirm the belt still new below 50k km, I've ignored it until last CNY balik kampung trip the timing balancer belt snapped. So i've drove 350 km w/out balancer belt.
My advise better check belt tension or belt condition and check for camshaft ( mine one got scrathces)

LMA? whats that

anyway i do not think is belt ba...coz i just changed in dec leh...

last time i had tok tok engine from my engine bay...later when u pop up the hood...found a screw driver and tappet gauge...nicely place in front of radiator.lucky nothing happened.but in your case a bit different la since the sound come onli when u off the aircond.so i guess u must run the aircond everytime u drive la...

bro..as i know ur engine is knocking,xpecially low idling rite, when u finish ur petrol,try change other brand of petrol (gasonline)....and engine oil....

This `tok,tok` sound is the knocking sound??Is this wat it means with knocking as in `knock sensor` knocking?Ishhh...blurred myself edi. . .
OR is it mechanical type of knocking?e.g doing a turn with a konged driveshaft?

I know my g/box have tat `tok`(one tok oni) sound when shifting into 1st gear n reverse(sometimes other gears as well) .. only when I`m dis-engaging the clutch and started moving/reversing slowly. . .NOT during speeding btw.. its just by lifting the clutch and not stepping on the gas concurrently (hope u guys got I`m saying here :p)

But,a friend (not an xperienced mechanic or anything)told me tat its caused by `some` clearence or space(as he puts it),between the g/box and the drvshft knuckle. . .and there shouldn`t be any harm?No?Anyways,it made sense to me. .
(as I`m no genius as well) and it doesn`t bother me as much. .NOT until the g/box really bersepah on the road tat is!

So..ur guys opinions are very much appreciated!

Usually malaysian fuels don't cause knocking, unless your distributor static timing advance went off or something. That one checked with timing light.

User6,
The knock sensor is something like a microphone for the ECU to detect knock.. but it's something like a vibrating magnet, so not very sensitive.. but still it's something designed in by honda engineers.. so maybe they know something that we don't.

The sound is usual.. sometimes its's just the driveshafts CV joints locking into place.. or sometimes it's the sound of the mount..

I think my border304 recording had that tok tok tok sound in it.. which someone in the forum noticed and asked about it.

Last edited:
Lost Motion Assembly or here known as plunger or oso can be known as absorber for the vtec rocker arm (during vtec off).

if this "tak tak" sound from d head, 99% is this so called LMA (keras or lembut d) don noe which 1 la??...there are 8 pcs n rm60-70/pcs...

if u release clucth pedal n got "tok tok" sound...it's come from d free play at d driveshaft...1st n 2nd gear more obvious....

Yehzaa...!Thank you Shiro n u sir Patpaty...so the sounds does comes from g/box n drvshft . . there should be no harm,yes?
Wat abt this LMA,early morning start-up does produce tat irritating sound. . .but not so obvious after 10sec or so..?Is tat caused by LMA worn out?It sounds like . ..`tek tek tek`(or so it seems) ehiehieh. . .

So as u can see...my car gives out a lot of different annoying sounds eyhh. ..ahahaaha

Top Bottom