start audio convo thru msn or skype

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
i'm runnin win xp pro sp2 and whenever i start an audio convo using msn msngr or skype..halfway thru (time varies) my net connection dies off. i still see the net connection icon lights in the taskbar always on but i can't access any websites or whatever.

have to reboot to regain net connection again..

pls help me somebody!

errr....i don't have any experience with this two products as i don't have a headset to try it out with BUT i have a clue.

most programs of this type would sure have connections settings. if you're using streamyx behind NATS/firewall/proxy you might need to open up some ports or fuck around with the router/settings for it to work.

when the line drops does it have any error messages?
or its more like the windows dialer just crashed and disapear from the active programs list?

btw there is a tmnet booth tomorrow at PWTC you can "disturb" ;)

ok the thing happened again even after opening the ports...so i've ruled out my firewall. umm, have been tweaking around with the services...maybe that's the prob....still testing.

umm, isit anything to do with my PPPoE settings? like what recommended setting should i use.

thanks. :D

from what i read
skype can work thru firewalls.

i hvnt come across your kind of prob b4
but i've experience prob connecting from win msgr to msn msgr

does ur connection break down only in those circumstances u've mentioned?

yeah, it only stops when i've started an audio convo...i have no idea why la...i tot it was the services but then can't be cause i've tweaked them in win2k b4 but now switched to win xp pro..i'm blur liao hahah.

i don't thinkj it's anything to do with msn or skype...dunno ler..

another possibily....audio card

what audio card you're running on?
any problems with drivers?
installation problem?
resource allocation problem?
you downloaded latest drivers from manufacturer website or from microsoft?

possibly it happends when one particular code is being run it crashed certain programs in memory.

if you're using an add-on card like creative soundblaster. try removing it and use your motherboard AC97 audio (if your motherboard has built-in audio). if not try removing your current drivers and get the newest from microsoft's website usually they're more stable than the ones direct from the manufacturer (eg. creative).

yeah using onboard ac'97 now. tried with the ones bundled with xp pro and also the latest from the manufacturer (realtek) umm, even emailed them but they can't help me at all.

argh! have no idea what is the prob man...it sucks....can't really pin-point anything here.

was thinking it could be my ethernet card....but doesn't seem to be the prob cause i was using it with win2k mah....

help!

thanks for ur time ar guys. will belanja TT if i ever meet up with u at any TT session that the ZTH forrumers have.

Normally for WinXP its best to get the drivers from www.microsoft.com than from the manufacturer. I had problems when I upgraded the to latest detonator drivers for my GeForce card from www.nvidia.com, then uninstalled and got the newest from microsoft everything was good again.

No need belanja lah :lol:

maybe u can just check all the drivers again. maybe rolling back to an older version.

then reinstalling msn n skype

just did all that..thinking it has something to do with my chipset.. currently using intel 815EP B step....so i just dled the latest driver from intelllwill see how it goes later... oh another thing, my onboard ethernet port is spoilt! everytime i plug my modem's ethernet cable into the onboard lan card, my whole system hangs!

madness la this com....prolly to old haha

nah, hahah prob solved liao...turns out it's the winXP PPPoE that's somehow malfunctioning everytime.

so i'm using RASPPPoE now. worked wonders!

RASPPPoE?

is it part of windows?
or a 3rd party program?

please share with us, i'm sure all malaysians would wanna know coz most of us would be using streamyx ;)