Evo 3: excessive exhaust smoke on cold start

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guy,

When I cold start my car in the morning, there will be some greyish smoke from my exhaust and stops after 5 minutes and today I started the car after one week , the smoke was even more but gone after 5-6 minutes, can normal condensation , or could it my turbo leaking or valve seal leaking btw I did top overhaul last year

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What car?

Edit : Just saw Evo 3.. sorry. Didn't see clearly

What does the smoke smell like? Oily? Petrol-ish?

If you did a top overhaul, your valve seals shouldn't be leaking. If they are then your mechanic was a hack. Turbo leaking need to visually inspect

Last edited:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My exhaust is straight 3 inch from front to back, if the exhaust is bigger , will the smoke on cold start would be more, it was raining anyway when I started the car just now

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Only in the morning then is vapor. If oil seal leak, then after a long stop when start will have smoke, means whether start in afternoon or evening. If turbine leak, normally won't stop and you get white smoke

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
can try use tissue paper to cover the exhaust when there is smoke, if there is black stain then oil d/wet then its condensation

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
My exhaust is straight 3 inch from front to back, if the exhaust is bigger , will the smoke on cold start would be more, it was raining anyway when I started the car just now
actually quite normal..

I also running 3" and 5" out, but I don't have much smoke.

was told its normal for evo engine.
black smoke = normal
white = time for overhaul..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
actually quite normal..

I also running 3" and 5" out, but I don't have much smoke.

was told its normal for evo engine.
black smoke = normal
white = time for overhaul..
Black is probably soot, running rich.....:driver::driver:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
My take on this is, if you see the smoke on startup, don't wash your car for a month. After that one month look at the area near the tailpipe. Is there black oil marks ? If no, then you arent burning oil, just condensation in the exhaust. I actually park my car's back facing towards a painted white wall, and every morning when i start, after the engine settles down from warming up, there is white "smoke" coming out and going against that white wall. Happening for 8 months already since i changed to S flow muffler. But ...the wall is not turning black and neither is my bumper, plus the oil level isnt dropping so i know I have nothing to worry about.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

At least the geniuses at Proton gave it a decent name rather than a vegetable name.

Proton Sawi.....:stupid:

Proton Bayam, Proton Kangkung, etc.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience