Proton wira 1.5 (1997 auto) engine heating problem

arifsobhan85

Oct 27, 2014
Kajang
Few month before, the engine of my car got heated when am stuck in a jam in KL and now more often it happens when the car remains almost unmoved/ stuck in jam. But when the car is moving (say 60km/h) the engine become cool again after few minutes. According to the suggestion of my friend i changed the gasket and clean the radiator and also changed the cooling fan. But i am still facing the problem. it mainly happens in daytime but in night/rain the car is ok.

Can any expert help me to find out why this is happening?

Thank you in advance for your kind help and information sharing.

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
symptom of fan not running, but since u changed the fan, it shud b ok la
btw...is it really running/?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I would say its the fan but TS said its change already. Do check if its really functioning.

When you left your car overnight and open the radiator cap, does air came gushing out?
If yes then you will need a new head gasket.

How about your fan, does it has the shroud?

One more thing you can try is to change the radiator cap. but this is quite a long shot.

Or, it could be the simplest thing of malfunction sensor which do happen but very2 rare.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've had this problem in the past and took a lot to check :

1. Easiest thing to check is the radiator cover/cap. If the cap rusts then it cannot open and you'll have a pressure buildup which'll cause overheating or something.

2. Replace thermostat. Cheap and easy DIY fix.

3. Check that the fan is running fast. It may be running but if it's slow, it won't do jackshit also. If in doubt just change it, not expensive to replace the motor and quite easy to DIY.

4. Flush the radiator and make sure you use coolant, not just pure water.

5. Worse case scenario - you have a leak somewhere (check hoses and radiator) or the headgasket is gone. If you see coffee or milk coffee coloured engine oil when you open the engine rocker cover cap or dipstick, stop driving your car and tow it to a workshop to change the gasket. Water doesn't combust and it'll be a pain to fix.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
The cooling fan can be an ass, when it comes to overheating. My frenz Saga had overheating problem. Found out that the fan goes on/off intermittently due to bad wiring and connection. When direct connect to battery pulak, the fan spin good as usual. No problem with the fan.

So, do check the connect and wiring.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Since overheating only in jam, quite easy for your mechanic to check. Let your car idle in his workshop and find the cause....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Garmin Mobile XT In Your Car~ZTH EXCLUSIVE~

DEMO VIDEO ON NOKIA 5800 ...​
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience