Proton to pair CVT to CamPro mills for upcoming models

Dinesh

500 RPM
proton-600x448.jpg

The upcoming range of cars from Proton will feature Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT) technology. The influx of the technology is testament to the smoother drive it provides and also the increased efficiency in the performance and fuel consumption.

“We have been conducting comprehensive development and integration tests of the CVT with our CamPro engines and we are happy to be able to provide this option to future buyers soon,” said Datuk Sri Haji Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir, Group Managing Director of Proton.

The technology has been getting popular with high-end manufacturers and though not new, has only recently been available on such a large scale in cars.

“In the near future, CVT will be mated to our CamPro engines as an option to our range of cars along with the conventional four speed automatic gear transmission that is currently being used. This feature will not only provide more than just a smoother drive but it will also contribute towards fuel efficiency and savings to the user,” he added.

Compared to the traditional automatic transmission, the use of a CVT transmission can reduce the transmission weight by up to 20 per cent without compromising on capabilities. CVT allows the car to switch gear ratios seamlessly, eliminating transmission shock. It can also offer different driving modes to suit the driver’s preference.

Testing by Proton has shown that using a CVT can reduce fuel consumption by up to four per cent in urban driving conditions and by almost 10 per cent on the highway. Furthermore, it CVT also reduced emissions by five per cent.

“Proton is consistently improving its cars; from build quality to the introduction of various technologies to enhance its engine and driving capabilities. The inclusion of CVT to our next generation of cars will not only keep us on a technological par with major automakers but will also contribute positively towards providing Malaysians with greater value for their money,” said Syed Zainal.

Attachments

• proton.jpg
    proton.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 878
Wow...seems like Proton is making more improvement to their cars..
is about time after all these years..

its about time especially regarding the gearbox. and off course.. the window switches in need of some attention.

well bro... now proton provide lifetime warranty for power window switches.

its true. but gettin kinda tired of going to the service center since usually it will last for 6 months +-. changed 6 times for my mom's proton.

city and jazz already used since 2002/2003 and now lancer, inspira, accent etc latest proton want to use...

I wondering the reliability of Proton's CVT gearbox, as Honda City/Jazz one also broke down after a certain amount of mileage. Hmm...

DSG too expensive...

good CVT to cater saloon market...

theoretically the best...but currently still not up to par...

the 1st trial will be on saga....price i heard less than rm2k increase....very minimal..

i wont put my beans on the cvt just yet, even in the lancer 1.5l (LGX?) the belt slipped when i whipped it in the S mode. plus, the cvt has an infinite of ratio between its lower and higher ratio number, it doesnt change gear; ie like changing from a gear to another, but rather changes the ratio between the input and output gears on the fly according on the revv/speed so u cant feel any jerk during its operation. the downside of this technology is, if u push it too much, then the belt may slip, no fun at all. from what i read sum time ago, even the best cvt nowadays is only good for up to 350hp. i dunno what the max torque dat it will be able to handle, but it hasnt been fitted in any diesel turbo shows dat it cannot handle dat much torque also imo, if any diesel turbo has been fitted with one of this gb, then i apologise and hopefully anybody can provide a link on the info.

i prefer the conventional automated tranny, especially those comes with gear locks.

Top Bottom