Post Your Technical Q&a Stuffs Here

ezwong2002

Known Member
Guys... as the title stated above. This tread shall have no crap. Serious Q&A section. :) Turbo Sifus can help with related questions here.

CHeerS!

Anyone know to repair a turbine?

As far as I know cannot repair, and what it called repair means replace a new turbine.

As far as I know a turbine cnc machine cost few hundred thousands of ringgit.

Last time got receive one catalogue from Germany selling this milling machine. Can't remember how many axis capable. One of the function is u can make your own gearbox housing. Or even can make your own conrod. What steel u hv u can do. :)

To all Turbo Sifus,

I seek your wisdom.

What is the turbo limit size (eg. TD05) limit for a Toyota Levin AE86?

I was planning to put in a TD06.5 (close to 7 I think) and was wondering whether a TD06 can fit or not and is there a Garrett Bearing Turbo of that size or not bigger?

hey jethrel
there's this mechanic in puchong who did an ae86 turbocharged with a td06 turbine (if I'm not mistaken lah, the farking thing was huge)
the response of the car was surprisingly very good for a 1.6 ltr engine.
go check him out, but I can't really remember the name of his workshop area though...
his name is steven also known as kamsing.

Hey thanks alot Jebu!

Where in Puchong may I ask? Puchong ain't exactly at the back of my house ya know. :P

Currently using Nissan bush turbo td05 which isn't too bad. Response is good enough for me as it's pounces quite dramatically; especially not using a standard ECU chip.

I've PM you by the way. :D

As for repairing turbo, unless it's a HKS or a big ass size turbo, I don't think it's worth repairing turbo. Even then, I'll still go back to my own mech cause I trust his advise and what to do with it.

However, I will check out their price if they do sell turbo and will let you all know.

Thanks once again

to all turbo sifus,
what does an external wastegate do?how does it enhance the performance?

External wastegates are separate from the turbo located in the exhaust manifold that bleeds exhaust gas from going thru the turbine blades. Wastegates bypass exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust system after the turbo (turbo slows=less boost). Mechanical wastegates have a single line from the Intake Manifold from the turbo, offset by a given spring rate, that regulates when the exhaust gas is bled. Electronic Wastegates have a stepper motor or frequency valve that regulates the amount of air that feeds the wastegate, or adds a percentage of IM boost to the top of the wastegate. Electronic wastegates are computer controlled externally (add on boost controller) or internally with inputs - Knock, Charge Air Temp, Water temp, Throttle Position sensor).

Primary Function: Boost regulation

interesting topics.... :D

1. yes...conventional turbos can be repaired, provided it's done by the right people with the right tools and right knowledge.
there are many mechanics who 'claim' to be able to repair, but end up screwing your turbo... :o

2. there ain't no TD06.5 jethrel....hehe...
there are TD05...TD06....TD07...and so on.... ;)

3. Nissan does not use TD05 turbos...they use Garrett....

4. There isn't really a 'limit' size for a turbo to be put on any engine...it's just that you've gotta make it real well...engine well prepared..management of the engine has to be tuned well too....so a TD05 isn't a problem for your AE86...

5. Kamsing is using a Garrett T04R turbo on his AE86...running Haltech management... ;)

6. EZ...err...your wastegate explanation a lil out lar.... :D
Electronic boost controlller is the one which regulates the boost pressure...not a electronic wastegate... ;)
The wastegate helps by opening and releasing excessive exhaust gasses out based on the desired boost....

Cheers guys...

SDF B)

I would have to agree with sum-dum-fuk about repairing turbos. Though, in my 2 cents punya opinion, I've heard too many stories about mechs claiming to repair but ended up, the owner had to buy a new one cause the mech screwed it badly. :angry:

As the size of the turbo, LOL, sorry sum if I had confused you. I'm not claiming or saying that THERE IS a turbo size TD06.5 but instead, the size isn't as small as TD05 but it isn't as big as TD06. Bite me for being abit lazy for not writing that long sentence down but yeah, my bad. Sorry.

If you're saying that Nissan only uses Garrett turbo, are you saying that all Garrett turbo's are bearing turbos? Yeah, I ain't every knowledgeble in all this as I'm still learning too. Because, if I took a pic of my turbo, the word says there Nissan and it's a bush turbo; not as smooth as I want it to be as a bearing turbo. Hope you can enlighten me on this one perhaps.

Kamsing having a Haltech Management? Yowza! I wonder how much that cost him? Is it true that they say that it's more expensive and better than Microtech? Kamsing, please reply! :D

Once again, thanks and cheers peeps.

Later days folks.

conventional turbos are all using 'bush' bearings, some call it float bearings (because the bearings float on a film of oil)... in technical terms it's called journal bearing...

ball bearing is something totally different...in design and concept too.... ;)

Garrett makes journal and ball bearing turbos....so what turbo you're using depends on where you took it from...wat engine and etc....
The RB26 DETT are using ball bearing turbos....certain models...the SR20 (S15) are also using T28 ball bearing turbos...

Haltech does not cost a bomb...itz bout RM 6k or so...all inclusive...even tuning... ;)

kamsing which one ar? i knwo sepang drag race everytime got those 2 very fast toyota gl one....using 4age engine one. even faster than blackie SUPER6 one.....
i wish my ol' toyota can move that fast...:( must steal blackie's engine one day n put in my toyota. heehehhe.

SDF, point taken. :) actually I just cut and paste from some website... hehehe...
regulate boost ( boost controller )
releasing excess boost ( wastegate )

ez...

hehe... B) no worries man... ;)

we all alwiz learning ma....no harm to ask n listen... :D

I guess mine would have to be the 'bush' bearing turbo or in other words, journal turbo. I am not too sure where it came from as I'm pretty certain that it didn't come along with the half cut I bought (ae86) but I trust my mech stating that my turbo is a journal turbo.

thanks sdf, learned something new today :D

Great thread this one...point given point taken...all done very rationally...

Super this is how I think all thread should be...Well at least I personally think this is how it should be...

Keep it up people.....
B)

sdf i just wanna ask, as in the case of kamsing's t04r(dei siva your blood brotha ar?), i have also heard that vtec turbo's commonly use t04r. however i once saw a t04r at fei lou vtec's place and surprisingly it didn't look all too big. are there many different variants of the t04r and that the 1.6 engines are using the smaller t04r as they didn't look smaller than a gt2835 to me.

in other words, size wise, is the smaller variant t04 roughly that of a td05 16g or even 20g? thanks.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom