New Tires : Front or Rear

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Age old argument. Some argue that new tires go behind, reasoning is because of (some) cars' weight is biased to the rear, while others say that since (some) cars are RWD, so new tires go behind.

Personally la, I change my fronts, then run them in for 2-3 months, then get another set to throw the front to the rear. My reasoning? My saga's rear end is light. If I were to put worn tires behind, I'll definitely slide in the wet. Already kena TWICE. So, that 2-3 month can be considered as a break in period to get the tires all nicely "worn" in, so that it'll provide enough grip for my rear end.

On a side note, with my current set of rims, I cant rotate my front to back (this is highly recommended to keep the wear even) since the potholes in KL has been abusing my rims quite badly, and throwing the bad rims up front means it'll upset my tires' balancing.

Now that my front tires are already almost the TWI, it'll soon be time for me to hunt for a new set of tires. :driver:

I wanna hear what your opinions too :biggrin:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
for me ill throw newer grippier tires at the front, be it my FR or FF (which happens to be an iswara/saga like urs)

for the FF, the front tires do the accelerating, braking (mostly) and cornering, quite the heavy task, and i prefer oversteer than understeer, as the former is easier to recover from (for me, at least)

for the FR, ill still prefer oversteer (although recovery is a more delicate affair than the FF)

with understeer ur intended path of travel (line) will change while with oversteer it is still manageable with the front wheels still on track

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
for me ill throw newer grippier tires at the front, be it my FR or FF (which happens to be an iswara/saga like urs)

for the FF, the front tires do the accelerating, braking (mostly) and cornering, quite the heavy task, and i prefer oversteer than understeer, as the former is easier to recover from (for me, at least)

for the FR, ill still prefer oversteer (although recovery is a more delicate affair than the FF)

with understeer ur intended path of travel (line) will change while with oversteer it is still manageable with the front wheels still on track
Saga blm, forgot to mention that

But personally I prefer neutral to slight understeer, and I've had some bad experience with the tail swinging out....

Send from my ME173X using Tapatalk

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Saga blm, forgot to mention that

But personally I prefer neutral to slight understeer, and I've had some bad experience with the tail swinging out....
Some reading material...

Safety Tips
Tip No: 6

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Some visuals...
Install Two New Tires on the Rear Axle - YouTube

Personally I follow the above and put new tyres in the rear.
Another reason is putting the older tyre in front I can finish them off faster. Keeping them in the rear they will just go old and harden...

Last edited:

ericmaxman

Senior Newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Some reading material...

Safety Tips
Tip No: 6

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Personally I follow the above and put new tyres in the rear.
Another reason is putting the older tyre in front I can finish them off faster. Keeping them in the rear they will just go old and harden...
Agreed, which resulted in my front tires wearing much faster than my rears.

So in the end, a new set of rims would definitely allow me to do some tire rotation (dont they rotate when the car moves? :thefinger::thefinger: )

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agreed, which resulted in my front tires wearing much faster than my rears.

So in the end, a new set of rims would definitely allow me to do some tire rotation (dont they rotate when the car moves? :thefinger::thefinger: )
You are using all same size tyres, right?
Well, My NA Hyundai have same issues like you. 2 dented rims and 2 good rims, so good ones in front, bad ones in the rear.
When changing tyres, I fit new ones to bad rims then to the rear, then pay a bit more to mount the older tyres to good rims then fit to the front.....:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hmm.. I usually replace all 4.

My parents change 2 at a time so they put the new in the rear. Kinda like that youtube show, wanna avoid loss of rear traction. Can be quite scary mid-corner, experienced before. Can't even countersteer.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
1 new tyre On Rear Left & 1 more new Tyre on Front Right. :rolleyes:
What will happen I wonder :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Wear wont be even, and handling will likely be compromised as well.
Haha! For sure. For sure...just kidding.
P.S: Don't go do this setup guys. Just a joke. :slug:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im driving a satria 4g13 convert to 4g92 mivec black top (RS)... Current im using a LSD with stock clutch de gear ratio is close and my top i can't really reach 160... could anybody tell me wat is the problem ? stock mivec gearbox de fuel consumption is very high due to close gear ratio and final drive setting right if im not mistaken...:hmmmm: Im using a 16 rim with 205/55 tyre the thing is gear 1 to 3 if i tekan full i hardly can control the car...:burnout:
please help im a newbie...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience