New Extractor

dvvt_sprinter

Just installed a new 4-2-1 (1423 setup) header on my auto swift. power comes at a very low 1789rpm (based on RSM) and cannot feel the VTC kick in at 4000rpm anymore, cuz it revs all the way to 6500rpm freely. unfortunately, there is this weird sound between 3000rpm to 4000rpm.....sounds super cheap, can hear the muffler rattles. As the motor revs to 6500rpm, and changes gear, there is a burst of air at the muffler there too. I oni changed the header, nothing else. wonder what is wrong.....

cos the extractor is thiner then ur oem exhaust manifold.that's why u hear
a hi pitch sound like when u rev ur engine.imo.

but is only between 3000rpm to 4000rpm, the sound is cheap. after that, it goes back to normal until 6500rpm, shift gear, a burst of air can be heard at the back.....so how do I solve this cheap sound problem? change muffler?

tak paham ar???hehehe...tak tahu nak explain mcm mana.kalau ada pic mudah.

1423=1 n 2 merge into 1,3 n 4 merge into 1.right?

wah.. tak paham..
it's exhaust port from 1st cylinder merge wif the 3rd cylinder and so on....the numbers mentioned based on cylinder firing order, am i right? correct me if i'm wrong...a noob here

lucky for me using 3 cylinder, just merge 3 pipe into one:biggrin:...only consider the length

1423 setup is ur first cylinder connect with the 4th, then the 2nd connects with the 3rd, then at last, both connectors connect to one, that's call a 4-2-1 extractor.

at the moment, still dunno why the heck the stupid sound comes at 3000rpm to 4000rpm. went to check the workshop, see if leak gas, but no. sigh

1423 and 1234 setup got difference meh??.... the firing order arr??... as long as ur extractor length properly tuned no problem one mah.... ur exhaust pulse wont collide each other....

no problem?.. of course there'll be a difference if the firing order is 1-4-2-3 or the such. making 1-4 and 2-3 makes sense. as it helps suck gas out of the following cylinder. try doing a 1-3 and 2-4 in a 1-4-2-3 firing order and you'll notice the difference. wont be as efficient as the previous setup

1423 4-2-1 extractor?

Js_racing_exhaust_manifold.jpg

Last edited:
1423 is the example of firing order of an engine. cylinder 1 fires first then 4, followed by 2 then 3. so when 1 is throwing exhaust it creates vacuum in the other 4, 2, 3,. when 4 being y'd together with 1 (in the extractor) it creates a pulling effect in 4. so does when 2 exhausts pulls 3. then these 2 connect together and create another vacuum to all cylinders. this process is so fast you couldnt tell which is pulling which. all you know is that when u put ur hand behind the exhaust tip ull feel the pulse. at idle ofcourse.

the old trick is to put ur hand behind the tip and see how far u can feel the pulse during idle.

thank you brother left foot for the enlightenment....
now my problem and question remain:-

"I don't like this cheapskate metal sucking sound when I rev it. Would installing a muffler eliminate this sound?"

And now because mine is auto, would changing the muffler reduce gain?

I've taken the step many asked me not to - decat an auto.
At first I felt like I've lost some horsie, but based on RSM, my century sprint nearly increased by 2 seconds.

ur extractor's pipe diameter may be bigger than ur stock ones. u may consider changing ur whole piping to a lil bigger.

im encountering the same problem on my charade. ur exhaust become too restrictive liao

thank you brother left foot for the enlightenment....
now my problem and question remain:-

"I don't like this cheapskate metal sucking sound when I rev it. Would installing a muffler eliminate this sound?"

And now because mine is auto, would changing the muffler reduce gain?

I've taken the step many asked me not to - decat an auto.
At first I felt like I've lost some horsie, but based on RSM, my century sprint nearly increased by 2 seconds.

im not sure what sound u referring to. is it the sound when u step on the paddle or when u release it? if u here a rattling sound when u step on the paddle, it might be a leak somewhere. if u here the rattle after releasing from a high rev, thats normal if u have no mid box/resonator installed.

if you can record the sound it would be nice!

Last edited:
thanx ThunderGod_Cid! my new headers are definitely bigger than the stock ones.
I asked a friend to listen and he told me it is normal since u have removed the cat, the flow is not as restrictive as before. dun plan to change the pipes lah....they look so GLOWING and nice. maybe change muffler.

im not sure what sound u referring to. is it the sound when u step on the paddle or when u release it? if u here a rattling sound when u step on the paddle, it might be a leak somewhere. if u here the rattle after releasing from a high rev, thats normal if u have no mid box/resonator installed.

if you can record the sound it would be nice!

yea, when I step on the paddle, my muffler rattles and the sound sux at 3000-4000rpm. It sounds like a whistle blowing in a metal. i've checked with the pakar exhaust, they say there are no leakages.

funny thing is, if I put into NEUTRAL and rev it, the whistle blowing sound is not there.Only when drive ada bunyi. However, if I dont step on the paddle, upon starting the engine, the muffler oso vibrates more and have slight rattling sound.

Aihh, dilemma betul. will try recording it, but susah cuz oni when drive ada that bunyi.

the firing order for most 4 cylinder engine is 1-3-4-2. and if ur using a 4-2-1 extractor, it will merge cylinder 1-4 & 3-2.

u cannot merge ur extractor collectors according to the firing order because the exhaust gas is gonna collide in the 1st Y collector.

Top Bottom