Need Help(Advise) On My ZZT231!!

red_celica

Jul 5, 2009
Hi everybody,

Been following ZTH for quite a while but rather freshie in this forum line. I need an advise from anyone that know a thing of two about the Toyota Celica ZZT231. Yesterday I send my car for a repair due to its 6000 rpm power drop!! I'm driving a manual version SSII version. Thing is, the mechanic told me that I should change the fuel pump and the fuel filter to undo this damage. Plus they advice me to throw in a e-manage to boost up the horsepower to 170 on wheels which they also show me another client celica with same version as mine dyno file for proof. Believing that they are confident about it, I agreed with it which cost me a hefty RM2,400.00!!!

After 8 hours of waiting (yeah...I waited) :smokin:, it's time for my dyno run. What da' heck?!! It only show a 128 hp on wheels and still showed a power drop after 6000 rpm...and maaannnn....I feel so pissed!!! :banghead: Not only I lost my money there but I still lost a 40 hp than it should...so, please...anyone out there know what's cause my problem and care enough to let me know and what's need to be done or where to send it for a proper/professional mechanic?

Thanks a lot for anyone replying this thread...very much!!

red_celica

Jul 5, 2009
Thanks allance but could u care to elaborate more on that? I mean it's not that the power band drop all the way down...it drop and it climb back again. I even surf the net of other dyno print from their Celica ZZT. When it reached the 6000 rpm, the power band seems like it got some boost and it goes way up! Could the exhaust system contribute to power drop after the VVTL-i kick in? My hunch told me something in the engine need to be fix...like what u said...just need to be really sure about it or I may loose more money fixing the wrong thing. Thanks for the reply dude!!

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
u can call me or sms, see my phone no on ur PM:call:

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
power drop @ 6k rpm , a/f ratio got go lean aer ? or else how he know it's the fuel pump or clogged filter ?

red_celica

Jul 5, 2009
Dear liz@rd,

The mechanic told me that (the fuel is lean) when he dyno my car earlier. Now, after putting a brand new fuel pump and fuel filter it still showing a power drop at 6000 rpm!!! I guess he just jump to a conclusion...and who got to pay the price? ME!!!!

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
You should get the engine fixed in the first place rather than putting mods to fix the problem!! That is ridiculous!! If there is VVT failure to initiate or something then might explain the power drop.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
there are many reasons for you to lose power when lift is engaged..... lift bolt, ocv(lift), vvt sproket, cam sensor, etc......

red_celica

Jul 5, 2009
Hi guys,

Yesterday I went back to the shop to sought out the hiding place for my e-manage. While at it I meet with the mechanic to consult with him on how to rectify my problems. He told me that he's willing to make a deal that I see is very much fair indeed. Change the exhaust system and see what happen from there since he think it's my exhaust that cause the problem. He even run a MUT checking to my engine with no extra charge and say its in very fine condition. Now, if the new exhaust change doesn't rectify the problem...he will not charge me a single cent on it. Fair right? That's why I really like about this shop on their professional solution and why I've been their customer more than 2 years now. I never said the shop is bad at delivering a great job nor the rest of its staff are a bunch of liar...I've never said that!! I just said I'm very sad of the outcome that cost me more than 2 grand and still doesn't rectify the problem I had. Any advise from you all?

It's not that I don't trust him, I need more info and help to undo my celica VVTL-i power drop issue. Please understand this, money don't grow on trees (unless u plant a marijuana tree at the back of ur house) or I was born with a silver spoon fed to my mouth. I love cars and sometimes I sacrifice most of my hard earn money into it than my beloved wife and daugther. For those who feel hurt from my previous post comments, I'm very sorry but I'm not sorry for my sad feeling from the outcome that I got. This car is simply stunning and I tend to keep it for the long run. So, please help me by giving me more info on ways to fix it.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Hi guys,

Yesterday I went back to the shop to sought out the hiding place for my e-manage. While at it I meet with the mechanic to consult with him on how to rectify my problems. He told me that he's willing to make a deal that I see is very much fair indeed. Change the exhaust system and see what happen from there since he think it's my exhaust that cause the problem. He even run a MUT checking to my engine with no extra charge and say its in very fine condition. Now, if the new exhaust change doesn't rectify the problem...he will not charge me a single cent on it. Fair right? That's why I really like about this shop on their professional solution and why I've been their customer more than 2 years now. I never said the shop is bad at delivering a great job nor the rest of its staff are a bunch of liar...I've never said that!! I just said I'm very sad of the outcome that cost me more than 2 grand and still doesn't rectify the problem I had. Any advise from you all?

It's not that I don't trust him, I need more info and help to undo my celica VVTL-i power drop issue. Please understand this, money don't grow on trees (unless u plant a marijuana tree at the back of ur house) or I was born with a silver spoon fed to my mouth. I love cars and sometimes I sacrifice most of my hard earn money into it than my beloved wife and daugther. For those who feel hurt from my previous post comments, I'm very sorry but I'm not sorry for my sad feeling from the outcome that I got. This car is simply stunning and I tend to keep it for the long run. So, please help me by giving me more info on ways to fix it.

How much hp that u think u can gain from just changing the exhaust system ?
(from 128hp to ???hp) , and don't think so a broken (or wrongly setup) exhaust system could cause the drastic power drop after 6krpm...

Have u take the advice from Barbarian and Allance to at least check condition the following
"lift bolt, ocv(lift), vvt sproket, cam sensor, etc......" ?

mind to share which workshop u went for 'consultation' & the 'repair' ?

Last edited:

red_celica

Jul 5, 2009
Sorry Barbarian, who knows someone from the Toyota segment who doesn't go in the Celica segment might help!! Just broaden the search for help...peace!!

Bump: Dear wfhan, sorry if I couldn't publicly disclose the shop's name. I went here to search for a helping hand not to bring other's ppl business down. Hope u understand bro! But I'll take the advise from Barbarian and Allance to check on it. Really appreciate it you guys!!!

Last edited:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Sorry Barbarian, who knows someone from the Toyota segment who doesn't go in the Celica segment might help!! Just broaden the search for help...peace!!

Bump: Dear wfhan, sorry if I couldn't publicly disclose the shop's name. I went here to search for a helping hand not to bring other's ppl business down. Hope u understand bro! But I'll take the advise from Barbarian and Allance to check on it. Really appreciate it you guys!!!
understood, do kindly update the status if u don't mind, good reference for other zzt owner as well..
:)
peace

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This powerful Mazdaspeed Mazda 2 is going to rock your world -- all Mazda fans!

Small compact 4 doors hatch super mini crunches by a 2.0 DISI diesel engine with turbocharged 4 cylinder, clock a 230bhp and 230lb-ft of torque will blows most of us away, not to mentioned a 6 speed closed ratio gearbox.

But the sad news is only Japan now have this model to be sold on the road, no to US and Europe...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience