Motor Oil used by Scuderia Italia

differ

1,000 RPM
hey guys, a question.

what kind of Motor Oil is used by the F1 cars of Ferrari? i would expect it to be something like super-duper synthetic Shell lubricant right?

let's say, if i got my hands on like a barrel of the stuff. can we use it in normal road cars? would there be any after effects / side effects?

serious replies please. jokes, sarcasm aside. thank you.

probably not. although the lube should be extremely light ( maybe 0w50, or 0w60, dunno exactly ) so these F1 engines to be able to rev up immediately after startup ( as most internal engine damage is due to engines being revved / used immediately after startup, while the lube is still trying to get up to all nooks and crannies ) the working temp level is not as the same for production car engines. F1 cars go up to 19k RPM for 20++ laps ( example : Sepang is 5.4 km x 20++ laps = u get the idea lah ) while normal production cars ( this includes McLaren F1 road car, which is still the numero uno extreme road car in the world, to me lah ) never rev up to, say, 15k RPM? And you wouldn't be revving up that much all day long too, right? Therefore, these lubes for F1 engines surely have certain temperatures to work, which normal - engine cars will never achieve / exceed...answer : probably not la bro. rather than getting the lube they use, to get the driver winner's cap is better!

hmmm, you've got a point there.

incidentally, i do have a barrel of the stuff. nevermind where i got it from but it's definitely the same stuff as the Scuderia.

hehe, who wants to put their car forward as guinea pig?

without hardware mod , u cant expect a 50hp gain on lubrication alone ....

differ said:
hey guys, a question.

what kind of Motor Oil is used by the F1 cars of Ferrari? i would expect it to be something like super-duper synthetic Shell lubricant right?

let's say, if i got my hands on like a barrel of the stuff. can we use it in normal road cars? would there be any after effects / side effects?

serious replies please. jokes, sarcasm aside. thank you.

hahah u can, it is expensive hahah, u must be bloody rich to do so, not that it is very expensive, it is because u need to change them every 500km or less ... hahaha so do more research on racing engine oil, ur engine will theoractically won't wear at all, try elf racing oil ... they are good on track, protect engine well but u need to change then frequently, go get full syntatic 5w- 40 or better is good enuf la ... should cost u around 100+ ringgit, change every 7000km or go find online which type more suitable for u, like penzoil turbo or motul N/a road ...

any further question .. haha
[email protected] <- add me MSN

Drift240sx, i'm not an idiot but you must be blind.

where in the world did you see me ask for a 50hp gain from the lubricant alone? i was merely questioning the viability and compatibility of using the Shell F1 motor oil in a normal road car. if you don't know, please refrain from making smart-alec comments.

it is patronising know-it-alls like you who are making ZTH into a very newbie unfriendly forum.

Zealless,

hehe, no ler. i really didn't have to pay a single cent for it. cannot give details but let's just say that the Scuderia ships a lot of excess motor oil to each F1 venue everytime. once the race is over, they usually just leave the extra barrels behind because the cost of re-transporting them is just not worth it.

so was thinking, if we can use it, i prolly get to save some $$$ on the next few oil changes.

differ,

as I know, Engine oil is 1 of the highly customisation item in F1, it just like the rear wing and tyres set, that need to customise it to suit the track racing pattern.

Read the below quote.
-------------------------------------------------
" "Tight twisty circuits such as Monaco and the Hungaroring outside Budapest ask a lot of the engine as the tracks need short bursts of speed and lots of gear changes per lap," explains Shell's trackside expert Tobias Tasche. "If a car is following another close behind for a number of corners the temperatures in the engine will rise dramatically as there is less air-flow through the radiators. Shell lubricant at these races is designed with this specifically in mind to protect the engine temperature."

Faster circuits such as Monza and Indianapolis require a different approach. "The engines at the faster tracks run for much longer at higher revs," continues Tasche, "and as such we look at factors such as fuel efficiency as the time lost at pit stops at such fast tracks tends to be penal because of the quick racing speed.""

-----------------------

the barrel u have in hand, is it meant for Sepang track? :)
Maybe you can keep it for Merdeka Endurance Race :)

and no thanks, i just change my engine oil, Mobile 1. :D

differ said:
Zealless,

hehe, no ler. i really didn't have to pay a single cent for it. cannot give details but let's just say that the Scuderia ships a lot of excess motor oil to each F1 venue everytime. once the race is over, they usually just leave the extra barrels behind because the cost of re-transporting them is just not worth it.

so was thinking, if we can use it, i prolly get to save some $$$ on the next few oil changes.

if u rev alot and u drift or drag on track, then .. use it lor, racing oil wor, can use one kua hahaha .... giv me some, when i go back to m'sia, change engine oil and oil filter only ma, pls la ... go learn how la ... then can save money lor, if not go track everytime hav to spend money on tyres and engine oil. sell it to ppl who go race on track la .. i think they'll buy it .. hahah ... but make sure it is not used haahah ///

ya drift 240 ... u can't get hp, as much as 40bhp .... dun kacau la, 1 - 2 bhp maybe la, coz ur engine cooler and smoother, m'sia so hot .. 1 bhp u laugh already

BlackSamurai said:
differ,

as I know, Engine oil is 1 of the highly customisation item in F1, it just like the rear wing and tyres set, that need to customise it to suit the track racing pattern.

Read the below quote.
-------------------------------------------------
" "Tight twisty circuits such as Monaco and the Hungaroring outside Budapest ask a lot of the engine as the tracks need short bursts of speed and lots of gear changes per lap," explains Shell's trackside expert Tobias Tasche. "If a car is following another close behind for a number of corners the temperatures in the engine will rise dramatically as there is less air-flow through the radiators. Shell lubricant at these races is designed with this specifically in mind to protect the engine temperature."

Faster circuits such as Monza and Indianapolis require a different approach. "The engines at the faster tracks run for much longer at higher revs," continues Tasche, "and as such we look at factors such as fuel efficiency as the time lost at pit stops at such fast tracks tends to be penal because of the quick racing speed.""

-----------------------

the barrel u have in hand, is it meant for Sepang track? :)
Maybe you can keep it for Merdeka Endurance Race :)

and no thanks, i just change my engine oil, Mobile 1. :D

agree samurai .. hahah .. when i go sepang track, u giv some to me la ... i dun mind blowing my engine hahhaha ... ok ... i will be back with my MRS hahhah ... january 2006 or may 2006... ask u all go yum cha then hahahah ok ok ..

i think can use for track day as well...
differ, open your own booth during track day. "F1 engine oil for sell". Sure sell like hot cake. Don't forget to get a paper board Schumi from SHELL and display it at your booth to boost the sales.
schumacher_check.jpg

btw, any other thing left behind by other team or from Ferrari after the F1 event?

any barrel for Mobile 1? :D

differ,

IMO i don't think there's any harm of using it in your car. if it can lasts for 1hr plus during F1 race, am sure it wouldn't do any harm in your vehicle but u might need to change more frequently than the normal high street oil ie. 2500km instead of 5000km. if u ask me, i'll definitely brave enough to try.

cheers!

399 said:
differ,

IMO i don't think there's any harm of using it in your car. if it can lasts for 1hr plus during F1 race, am sure it wouldn't do any harm in your vehicle but u might need to change more frequently than the normal high street oil ie. 2500km instead of 5000km. if u ask me, i'll definitely brave enough to try.

cheers!

then you be his guinea pig to try the oil la.. :biggrin:

it is patronising know-it-alls like you who are making ZTH into a very newbie unfriendly forum.

veryy nicely said weih.. there are many other people here who are like that. so idiotic..

i remember that Scuderia started using special lube for their qualifyings somewhere startof the year or in the middle which is thinner than their race oil, gives more power and response but shorter lifespan...

any markers that indicate which one is it?

i think the change of lube only happen before F1 have engine and petrol restriction. It no longer happen this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ferrari used to have 1 engine for qualifying and 1 engine for racing.

butthead, there doesn't seem to be any markings at all. it's just a yellow barrel, addressed from Shell UK and forwarded to FERRARI AT SEPANG GP, MALAYSIA.

blacksamurai, good point. but does the new ruling encompass changing the engine oil as well?

no changes on the car is allow after qualifying, according to 2005 rules.Driver will start the car on the starting grid with the qualifying setup.

Driver will get 10 positions penalised for doing any changes on the car after qualifying, including re-fueling petrol.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom