Mivec RS GB

Pace

Known Member
Jun 9, 2004
Guys,

I understand that there are 2 types. Both with LSD.

One that you need to use with the mivec driveshaft and one that can fit with the stock 4G93P drive shafts. Mine is the latter.

What is the difference between the 2 and how do we tell what kind of LSD is it?

Thought that all stock lsd were 1 way but doesn't seem to feel so?

Initially when I installed the GB, there is juddering on minor slow turns but gets less now. Is this normal? No issues when gassing it in corners and straight line. Lubrication with Redline.

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Bro .. as I understand it, the full lock LSD are the ones where you can use back your ori driveshafts. The 1.5 was ones normally comes with unequal lenght driveshafts. Stock Mitsu LSD are machanical type. There're others like helical/viscous type and also the carbon clutch type.

If you suspect an aftermarket item. You will not know what you have until you disassemble the gearbox.

Most lsd esp full lock lsd does make some noise and juddering but its normal.... might even go away after a few service ... its your luck.

Here's something I pluck from cusco's web page at

http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_cont.html

Pace

Known Member
Jun 9, 2004
thing is I got this GB from a friend who is selling his car

didn't really have the juddering and notchy shifting that I have now

the rpm of the 4th and 5th gear was also higher

Seems that the GB is still running in

what I have noticed on the 5th day is this

1. juddering at low speed coming out of the T-junction type of situations is much less if not non at all

2. shifting is less smooth and more notchy but suspect the clutch pump needs new oil and bleeding and the clutch pump fluid is now similar to Coca cola and the gear shift lock is more difficult to activate highlighting cables that may need to be rerouted

3.at 110kph the rpm for the 4th (4100) and 5th gear (3300) is now 200rpm higher than when first installed but still low by 200rpm compared to the GTi that the box came from. Pickup on the 1st two gears is too fast to measure initially and now at about 85kph but 3rd maitains at about 140kph

4. LSD grip is stronger and accelerating mid and out of corners, the pull inwards can be quite shocking initially

5. Oversteering because of my rear ARB/Links/alignment is less and car seems more neutral. Quite suprised. Thought the oversteer would be more.

6. There is definitely no understeering on midcorner lift off that my other friends 1.5 way Kaaz has that scares me shitless every time I drive his car hard but take corners like with a normal GB. ARB again?

How does the above compare to your E3 LSD GB.

Can we assess what type of LSD by jacking the front wheels and see how they turn relative to each other? Heard something like that before.

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Hahaha ... you might actually get a better explanation than this if you post in TMM :rolleyes:

I'll try my best:

1) GB juddering should be minimal or non existent at all if on stock LSD.

2) I need a flush too and am plannig to upgrade the cables to a goodridge unit, yes it might affect the shifting with coke colored fluid.

3) What we have is a shorter ratio box.. yes, I have the exact same readings as you, with the 5th being slightly longer.. at 110 i'm reading 3300. No chance to test the top whack as i'm still limited by the 180km duh!!

4) LSD working great then!!

5) Hmm, I'm actually understeering a bit, maybe with my heavier front, ARB is still the stock GTi ones.. suprisingly the E3 ARB is smaller. Adjustments on the damping did cure some of that. I actually prefer a softer spring rate at the back but the HKS comes with 5kg. What to do.. ;)

6) Ok ok, this relates to the above. With a 1.5 its best that you keep your foot on the acclerator during a corner of course if grip is allowing.

By jacking the front wheel and turning it only proves that you have a lsd when both wheel turns. Dont think you can tell by just looking at how the wheel turn... at lease let me take your beast out for a spin. :lol: :P

The E3 LSD box is oklah... better to the F5M22 in-terms of build and grip. No more wheelspins when I press it at 2nd gear and less steering movement when gunning it. A lot of mods lately?? B) Cams in?

Pace

Known Member
Jun 9, 2004
yes I was thinking of TMM initially but thought more mivec kaki hear as well as TMM

cams were in and then out in half an hour because mechanic scared me with the space between the cams and the rocker arm and I was stuck in Penang then.

I got confused on the explanation why he didn't install them because he knew about the need for shims.

seller was good enough to take them back

anyway they are on another car which is not showing the results and owner is embarrased to tell people he has got high cams in after a few traffic light sprints

no more mods for this year

baby on the way

An 18mm or bigger rear ARB with rose joints will make a real difference on the understeer

prior to the whitelines I ran 30psi front and 33 psi rear on stock springs and konis

very very nice

with your 5kg rear maybe less bias on the rear but whatever will surely be more uncomfortable

the GB today was very very well behaved and I was very very naughty today

I think the GB maybe female

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Eugene, I ran konis with stock springs before... yes very very nice!

A correction on my previous comments. My E3 box has slightly longer gear ratios then yours. At 110 on 5th I'm onli on 3000rpm vs yours 3300 and the F5M22 3500.

I guess I used to some harshness at the rear and mind you its also on pillowball all around ;)

Female GB, Good Luck .. one day it'll run fine and another day might give you the silent treatment. :lol: :lol:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

ITEMS : a pair of MBQUART tweeter, kelisa ashtray and Original Perodua Kelisa CD Player

If finds out someone selling all of the above in Klang area..its a stolen items...just beware of it
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience