midbox/bullet selection

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
bro-fellow-old-man-Veloc ( :thefinger: )

The midbox generally is there to just silent the exhaust. The Caucasians call it the 'resonator'. Generally it's recommended to maintain the piping size and get a straight flow design and generally the bigger the midbox the quieter your exhaust. If you have a look at Magnaflows website, they have a type of straight flow exhaust 'box' that doesn't slow down the flow of exhaust but quietens the exhaust at the same time. In fact it somehow speeds up the flow of exhaust. But since you have a S-flow muffler at the end, just get the straight flow with the largest size canister your car can fit without downsizing the piping size. If you're gonna swap to 2.3" then suggest you add the resonator only after you change to 2.3" throughout the setup. Generally speaking though. 0.2" difference shouldn't make too much of a difference I think?

Those twisters or whatever add a lot of back pressure to the setup. You already have a S-Flow and yours is a manual, so don't get those bullets or whatever. Don't waste your money.

Personally, without knowing what type of s-flow you're using (baffled or mandrel twisted or recirculated or just 90 degree bends) I'm going to assume ideal s-flow. Usually the biggest impacting parts of your exhaust is the headers, catcon and rear muffler. Get a decent 4-1 extractor and heat shield it or titanium wrap it (fibreglass is hard to work with) or ceramic coat it, get a high flow catcon (save the planet mah) and fit a good fitting sized pipe mandrel bent throughout. A large middle resonator (straight flow) and a decent s-flow muffler should by right give you a decent rumble but without the drone at higher revs. My old Wiras setup was like that. Idle had that pretty nice rumble and acceleration had a loud rumble then it went quiet when cruising at 3.5k rpm. Was somewhat louder when redlining but then again what doesn't make noise at those sort of rpms?

Ideally though, you'd probably do well to pay hard money to get a professional to properly calculate the length of exhaust, diameter, type of extractor, etc. I haven't seen any shop do these sort of calculations and have only ever seen it done in race cars.
Thank you!!! By far the most informative. What I want is something that doesn't restrict the flow or reduce performance but cuts out that bassy note when cruising around 90-100. What you call that? Droning? Yeah... My car doesn't have a lot of drone, but I still feel it can be quieter. Ideally, i hope it can still sound RAPSY without the drone. Noise at high rpms?? Bring that on man! If I am driving at that rpm range it means I want some sound as well. It's just the city drive and cruise that I am aiming to quieten down now. So thank for your advise. I will try to get a gigantic resonator.

1. Should I add on another resonator or replace my current one with a larger, better one?
2. Say if I want to change to another setup for weekend fun with straight flow muffler, should I still keep the resonator or take it off and use a straight pipe as well?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thank you!!! By far the most informative. What I want is something that doesn't restrict the flow or reduce performance but cuts out that bassy note when cruising around 90-100. What you call that? Droning? Yeah... My car doesn't have a lot of drone, but I still feel it can be quieter. Ideally, i hope it can still sound RAPSY without the drone. Noise at high rpms?? Bring that on man! If I am driving at that rpm range it means I want some sound as well. It's just the city drive and cruise that I am aiming to quieten down now. So thank for your advise. I will try to get a gigantic resonator.

1. Should I add on another resonator or replace my current one with a larger, better one?
2. Say if I want to change to another setup for weekend fun with straight flow muffler, should I still keep the resonator or take it off and use a straight pipe as well?
No:2 ask bro. TitanRev, he change exhaust when go track :driver:....lol:rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Raspy without drone depends on the material and the design of the muffler. Resonator in general only just reduces the decibels. Don't get gigantic la, just get one that fits the car. Too large might also reduce exhaust speed depending on design. Expensive exhaust bits like Magnaflow will probably not be practical to buy. The Magnaflow highflow catcon last I checked was in the 2k+ range! So I'm sure any of these branded stuff will set you back a lot.

If you already have a resonator don't waste money and change it la. Unless the fiber material inside it has worn out?

If you want to change a weekend exhaust setup, just make the S-flow muffler interchangeable with a straight flow one. Don't bother touching the resonator. These easy swappable setups is easily DIY if you have a proper flange installed. DIY swapping is easy.