Kia Rio Fuel Consumption

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Shamanraj

Known Member
Guys,

Have a Kia Rio 1.3 Auto. 2.5 years old. Only 25000 km clocked so far. Question is on the fuel consumption. For RM50 (bout 26liters) of fuel, i can barely get 220km for town driving. I never rev the car more than 4k rpm while driving. Has anyone seen the same conditions on your Kia Rio? Help me out here guys. Thanks.

ayo...no one using Kia Rio here are?? Well any Kia users welcomed.

i believe the figure is normal for any automatic car with a similar weight and similar power output.

for comparison try gen2 1.3 auto and i dont think there would be much difference.

as to what you are getting 1 litre = 8.5km is actually not bad also especially if a lot of town driving is involved.

IMO to improve consumption in town driving switch off the overdrive.

yeah man...thats wat i do....switch the overdrive off. The figure is the same or at times worst that my 1.6A Waja.

Waja may has a better FC sometimes compare to your Rio as a 1.6 litre engine has a better pull at low down speed at any time compare to a 1.3 litre engine with similar spec ie EFI, NA, 16V

i never rev higher than 2.5K rpm when do town driving, but it doesn't help much for 1.3 Auto Trans' FC. :biggrin:

Did few testing with Myvi, 1.3 Ezi,
driving pattern, 1st gear --> 2nd gear mostly 2.5 RPM (or lower), the rest of the gear shifting happen between 2.0K - 2.4K RPM.

still getting full tank, 32 Lit (close to RM62) for 380KM, maybe because the driver is heavy. :biggrin:

PS: Myvi shall have 45 Lit for fuel tank capacity, but the scary "Ultraman-style" fuel warning system always drag me to the nearest petrol station for "re-fuel" :biggrin:

BlackSamurai said:
i
PS: Myvi shall have 45 Lit for fuel tank capacity, but the scary "Ultraman-style" fuel warning system always drag me to the nearest petrol station for "re-fuel" :biggrin:

ultraman?? beep beep beeepp....LOL

anyway, its hard to compare myvi 1.3 against the more conventional Rio becoz 1st of all the myvi is lighter and 2ndly myvi has DVVT which optimised torque band for superior fuel consumption.

I thought the myvi 1.3A should be able to get bout 15-18km/liter?? Thats more than 380km. My friend drives one and he said his full tank gives him bout 500km town....but now droped to 300++ for full tank....checked at SC and found some issue with ECU......

dude, change yr plugs to No.6 platinum Plugs... use fully synthetic oil... u'll see d diff

howler....RM75 for which car?? And also you said No.6 platinum plugs and synt oil.....did you do this to your Rio or diff car....

sham: yr topic is referring to rio 1.3 isnt it? it's kia rio 1.3 d car that i'm talkin abt

Shamanraj said:
I thought the myvi 1.3A should be able to get bout 15-18km/liter?? Thats more than 380km. My friend drives one and he said his full tank gives him bout 500km town....but now droped to 300++ for full tank....checked at SC and found some issue with ECU......

my fren Shan, no car can get 18km per litre, even diesel. not when u r driving on mixed conditions and different types of road surface.
in order to get that..
1. the car must be very aerodynamic. no spoiler at all; smooth surface
2. the car must be as light as possible
3. the tyres must be of low ressistance type, skinny not wide.
4. there must not be wind resistance too.
5. the roads should be flat all time, no hill climb or any kind of gradient
6. you should drive at a constant ecomonical speed ie 90kph. (not 30 or 160kph)
7. only a manual or CVT, no auto tranny.
you should be very happy to get 10km per litre. set that as a benchmark.

for record, Honda EX5 returns 30km per litre at an average 0f 70-80kph.

a diesel car does save fuel in a way that the fuel is cheap. i mean, used to be cheap.

Zan,

I think you got it wrong here mate. Myvi fuel consumption rates at 40 to 48 mpg....real world test. Do the math. Lotta cars ranging from 1.0 to 2.0 can hit the avg of 15km/l so there is no way to set a 10km/l benchmark. Drive a Sonata 3.3L 2007 model now and then in the states. Combined driving of town and highway gives around 10km/l......and this is a 230bhp with 300 Nm-ft torque.

Zan,

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Disagree....wide or narrow..when driving you gonna have the same amount of contact grip area on the road. Irrelevant.
4. Agree
5. Disagree....done simulations using Matlab Advisor program simulating real world conditions for hybrid vehicle design. Most fuel consumption claims by manufacturers are based on test like this...not flat road.
6. Agree but disagree also....every car has diff gear ratios and diff torque band. Maintaining car speed based on rpm that has highest torque yields best consumption.
7. Agree

yeah shan..u may be right - on paper myvi 1.3 auto can get to 54.3 mpg (21.72 km per litre) but that does not include town driving (where a lot of stop-go drive happen) where it matters to most of us.

refer
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-costs.aspx?RT=899&ED=50661&U=0

but i doubt no myvi drivers in malaysia can claim such figures in real life situation.

on the other hand, your Rio cant be compared to a Myvi. why?
1. myvi is lighter - about 950kg
2. myvi engine has variable valve timing to exploit full torque output.

refer to the link
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-costs.aspx?RT=2662&type=4

where myvi 1.3 auto was reported to get 44+ average mpg, rio 1.3 was reported to get average of 39.8 mpg.
u surely wonder how come the differences so small and why your car consume so much fuel.

therefore, our conclusion that car test reports are just for reference guide and cant be compared to day-to-day situation.

proton states their gen2 1.6M recorded 5.7 litre per every 100km. i bet no PG2 owners could drive 1000km over a full tank of petrol

Shan,

1. Agree - thank you.
2. Agree - thank you
3. Disagree....wide or narrow..when driving you gonna have the same amount of contact grip area on the road. Irrelevant.
shan, u need to consider this .
i) wider tyres are less aerodynamic and creates more drag than skinny tyres.
ii) wider tyres are definitely heavier then the narrower ones.

4. Agree - thank you
5. Disagree....done simulations using Matlab Advisor program simulating real world conditions for hybrid vehicle design. Most fuel consumption claims by manufacturers are based on test like this...not flat road.
- this is a proven theory that flat road surface will return the best fuel consumption.

6. Agree but disagree also....every car has diff gear ratios and diff torque band. Maintaining car speed based on rpm that has highest torque yields best consumption.
- all cars should be test at similar speed to differentiate its economy.
otherwise 2 friends driving a BMW 740i and Honda Civic 1.8 will get confused
when the BMW has a better consumption figure over a similar distance from KL to penang
Civic owner ask " how your car better FC than my car?"
BMW owner replied " i drive at 100kph. what's ur speed?"
Civic replied " ah, i drove at 160-180 most of time"
BMW said "no wonder"

all cars are tested to the same standard 90kph, no matter what gear ratios the manufacturers are using.
car magazines like WhatCar? tested at 3 different speeds and then take an average to provide a more realistic figures.

7. Agree - thank you.

shamanraj,

that's paper figure, i never get those result, even i cruise on PLUS, only manage to get 455KM per tank, not even close to 480KM.

Someone did told me that manual myvi can do 500KM for town drive, but so far, that's just mission impossible for me, never able to squeeze 400KM per tank for city drive.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom