Is aftermarket S-flow muffler any good?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear forumers,

Just something I want to ask here. Most cars comes with s flow exhaust stock. Most people who want to upgrade will change to a straight flow.

But there are aftermarket mufflers that are S-flow as well made by performance brands such as FGK S flow 2.3", Tanabe G power S flow, TRD S flow and so on... I want to ask is there any difference if we change to these aftermarket s flow muffler or is it just for style only? Because it is still s flow and not free flowing.

Anyone got experience?

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
The reason for S-flow exhaust is for sound deadening. Aftermarket S-flow offers better flow that stock but is still quiet, although not as quiet as OEM.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Yes I am asking in terms of performance. Since it is s flow, I think that the flow is still restricted (correct me if im wrong), so what is the use of it?

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Like I said, better flow than OEM, and usually weighs lighter too. So ----> Straight Flow> S-Flow> OEM

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
weight lighter? hurm.. but why my supermegaphone sflow more heavy than my stock exhaust?

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
Want performance but in the same time not hurting ur ears, choose straight flow but with big barrel like l've attached..l've tried s-flow and my conclusion, it couldnt satisfy my expectation..quiet, yes but performance, need to step ur pedal even more to make the car moving

Image0384.jpg

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry, when I said lighter I was referring to the general aftermarket exhaust piping, not just muffler. Muffler weight should be more or less the same...sorry2..
Performance wise, just changing your exhaust is not gonna yield much power difference, be it straight flow or not. Extractors, for example affects performance more than the exhaust.

Last edited:

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
Want performance but in the same time not hurting ur ears, choose straight flow but with big barrel like l've attached..l've tried s-flow and my conclusion, it couldnt satisfy my expectation..quiet, yes but performance, need to step ur pedal even more to make the car moving

View attachment 444317
agreed with you.. stock exhaust more pikap than s-flow even with aftermarket extractor.. erm..

aHLengChai

Known Member
Aug 21, 2006
maybe cuz waja stock extractor 4-1.. so when switch to 4-2-1.. tu yang terasa heavy than stock..

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
some says s-flow is only meant for auto cars and big cc cars...some says s-flow is for top speed performance whereas straight flow is for pickup..some says 4-2-1 only can mated with straight flow and 4-1 suits with s-flow...haih...bla..bla...bla...too many formula to list down...for me, NA user, an aftermarket 4-2-1 with straight flow suits me...a bit of rempit and abit of cruising...happy modding:driver:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
The reason I ask because I want something that increase performance. Headers is out of the question due to budget and time. When going fr a major overhaul, then I consider doing the headers as well. Now just looking for a fast and cheap option. I wanted straight flow but am traumatised by the noise as I was using straight flow last time. So I considered aftermarket S flow but then am not sure whether it improves performance or not. That's why I ask.

But seeing you guys said that aftermarket s flow gives very little gains, I think I must look for some quiet yet powerful straight flow. Thinking of HKS Silent or Tanabe Touring.

Civic Type R

Known Member
Jun 6, 2011
Sarawak
forum.myviclub.com
Bro,u r running on auto or manual? My 1.5 sohc auto's pick up did improved with a twin loop s flow exhaust.. :)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
No manual bro.

Last time auto with straight flow. SUCKS. So I changed to stock s flow then okay.
Then later on I changed to manual tranny. So now it is manual with s flow. SUCKS AGAIN.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Proton Gen 2 Front Position Headlight Bulb Replacement

Tool:
1.Multimeter - 1 unit (for testing)
2.Replacement bulb- 1 unit
Duration: 15-20 minute

Procedure
1. Open up the front hood of your car.
2. Reach your hand to the back of the head light.
3. The low beam head light is at the lower part.

4. Twist the bulb socket...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience