How to clean the car carpet interior

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hello All -

I'd like to clean the carpet due now it has a bad smell. The reason was due water came inside when my area got flooded.

And my car is MyVi.
I went to ACE Hardware, and could find these 2 different brand, and it says that it can fix the bad smell. The prize is quite pricey.

However, I'm not sure which one from these 2 which is best and suitable to fix the bad smell.

My Questions are -
1. Which brand did you ever used, and it is good.
2. Kindly please share if you know what the good product to clean and it is able to remove the smell? Kindly please provide me with the address, and the price?
3. Do you know the good shop taking care on car interior? I stay around Cheras.
And could you please advise the name and contact number? And how much did it cost you, and what cleaning did you do?

Kindly please ask your thought, and appreciate it much.

Cheers,

Attachments

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Seriously, if flood water goes into your car, the best way to sort this is to remove all carpet from the car and dry it under the sun as there are large amount of water soaked in. it would not be easy task though. Floodwater is a cocktail of all sort of water, including longkang water....that is why it smells, and its probably has lots of germs.

Once the carpet removed, take the opportunity to check the electrical wirings, connections, to see they are ok and dry.
Water (even moisture) and electricity arent good friend together.

They spray cans are just for removal of odor, no matter how expensive they are.

just my 5 cents worth...

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i agree with ken yeang. All these cans will just mask the smell for a limited period of time till your nose get used to the smell and you would assume there is no smell.
Best and only method would be to remove the whole interior (dashboard optional) then rinse with clear water and if possible wash with soap. If you have an extractor... that would help the drying process as well. Sun the carpet for a few days. Do not leave it outside at night as the mildew will just bring back the smell.

while the carpet is out... make sure to take the effort to wipe clean the whole interior and use some disinfectant.

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Seriously, if flood water goes into your car, the best way to sort this is to remove all carpet from the car and dry it under the sun as there are large amount of water soaked in. it would not be easy task though. Floodwater is a cocktail of all sort of water, including longkang water....that is why it smells, and its probably has lots of germs.

Once the carpet removed, take the opportunity to check the electrical wirings, connections, to see they are ok and dry.
Water (even moisture) and electricity arent good friend together.

They spray cans are just for removal of odor, no matter how expensive they are.

just my 5 cents worth...
Hello Ken Yeang -

I think it will be long story for this.

The issue is I don't know how to take out the carpet.
Do you know where if there is Interior workshop that they can take care the issue like this? Especially for the car which got water in?

FYI, I stay in near Bandar Sri Permaisuri

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

i agree with ken yeang. All these cans will just mask the smell for a limited period of time till your nose get used to the smell and you would assume there is no smell.
Best and only method would be to remove the whole interior (dashboard optional) then rinse with clear water and if possible wash with soap. If you have an extractor... that would help the drying process as well. Sun the carpet for a few days. Do not leave it outside at night as the mildew will just bring back the smell.

while the carpet is out... make sure to take the effort to wipe clean the whole interior and use some disinfectant.
Thanks for this. Btw, What do you mean about extractor?

Do you know the interior workshop that can help me on this?

Appreciate much on your thoughts,

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Hello Ken Yeang -

I think it will be long story for this.

The issue is I don't know how to take out the carpet.
Do you know where if there is Interior workshop that they can take care the issue like this? Especially for the car which got water in?

FYI, I stay in near Bandar Sri Permaisuri

Most workshops won't do this simple (but time consuming) job as yours. BEsides, they may not have the space to dry and clean it for your car. So sorry, but Malaysian workshops are like that The workshop ppl might do it, but they would charge you alot of money.

IF you wanna try it DIY, remove the seats first, floor mats. so you could have access to the carpet. The carpets are just button fastened to the floor. Just unbutton them, and remove the carpet, or carpets.

Wash the carpet using soap. Then dry the carpet in the open sun. Make sure you have sunny day. Also, if your car is parked within your house compound, drive the car out in hot afternoon, open all doors to vent and dry the interior of the car.

If these is too much trouble, buy a few tub of Thirsty-hippo (can buy a supermarket) and dump them in the car to absorb moisture.....and put some charcoal to absorb the smell.....
However, i dont know if there is any water damages to the car or not.

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Thanks for this. Btw, What do you mean about extractor?

Do you know the interior workshop that can help me on this?

Appreciate much on your thoughts,
Extractor is a fan that is used to suck air out of a room, for your case a car.

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Noted for that. Thanks a lot Ken Yeang. Btw, if you have a chance, kindly please ask your thoughts for my question to you. Appreciate much.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Extractor is used for carpet cleaning where it shots carpet cleaner and then uses vacuum to "extract" out hence the name extractor.

Not that difficult to remove the car interior. 4 bolts for each front seats. Center console and rear seat differs from each car make.

I have not dismantled any myvi before but have done it on a Delsol, Putra, Wira and lately my Inspira cause I accidentally spilled 1 liter of chlorine in the car.

Just gotta be patient and slowly find out how to remove.... if all else fails, youtube has lots of video about dismantling cars.

I do not know any shops that does it..... most likely cause I rather do it myself in which things can be done to my standards.

Get it done fast instead of delaying cause mildew and fungus smell can be really nasty and definitely not healthy.

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks a lot DarkAccoon, appreciate it much your feedback. Okay, I google already that, I think extractor will be expensive. But thanks, let me YouTube how to dismantle myVi. Perodua offered me to change the carpet with the new one, the price is 300 RM. I didn't go for it, due I think with the price I could go for Interior cleaner workshop as well.

But you're right, I must not delay any longer for this.

Btw, if you have any comments, or further information, kindly please let me know.

Appreciate it much,

Thanks a lot.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Extractor is used for carpet cleaning where it shots carpet cleaner and then uses vacuum to "extract" out hence the name extractor.

Not that difficult to remove the car interior. 4 bolts for each front seats. Center console and rear seat differs from each car make.

I have not dismantled any myvi before but have done it on a Delsol, Putra, Wira and lately my Inspira cause I accidentally spilled 1 liter of chlorine in the car.

Just gotta be patient and slowly find out how to remove.... if all else fails, youtube has lots of video about dismantling cars.

I do not know any shops that does it..... most likely cause I rather do it myself in which things can be done to my standards.

Get it done fast instead of delaying cause mildew and fungus smell can be really nasty and definitely not healthy.
that is very true. Once fungus, kulat start to grow, it will be nasty.....esp. some could get inside the aircon....

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
that is very true. Once fungus, kulat start to grow, it will be nasty.....esp. some could get inside the aircon....
Thanks so much Bro. Yes sure, I'll not delay any longer. Btw, do you have any suggestions what the good product for cleaning the carpet?
Have you ever used this product to clean carpet? If not, do you have any suggestions for any product?

Thanks,

Attachments

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
The next time anyone should experience a flood and got your interior wet, visit your paintshop that features a paint oven, go there and request to have your car dried out in there overnight. That should dry out the moisture.

as for removing the smell, i heard steam cleaning helps.
for quick remedies, perhaps a bio degradable cleaner would help. such as Simple Green from Ace hardware

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks so much Bro. Yes sure, I'll not delay any longer. Btw, do you have any suggestions what the good product for cleaning the carpet?
Have you ever used this product to clean carpet? If not, do you have any suggestions for any product?

Thanks,
I havent use such products you have mentioned. They look like American product, that is quite expensive due to currency xchange.

If you are doubtful about these expensive product, try the local laundry product that you could find at supermarket. I think they would work as good.

As Tom said, drying the car via baking oven is good too. But I dont know how much it will cost, or how much of baking time is required.

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The next time anyone should experience a flood and got your interior wet, visit your paintshop that features a paint oven, go there and request to have your car dried out in there overnight. That should dry out the moisture.

as for removing the smell, i heard steam cleaning helps.
for quick remedies, perhaps a bio degradable cleaner would help. such as Simple Green from Ace hardware
Thanks a lot for this. I hope this is the first and the last happen to me, I am thinking if it goes to paint shop, will it as well dry out the wet wire as well?

Do you know where the recommended workshop for steam Cleaning?

I got info about this workshop - lv car care services. Do you know whether it's good or not?
http://lvcarcareservices.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/our-odor-removal.html?m=1

Thanks,

Gail83

Oct 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I havent use such products you have mentioned. They look like American product, that is quite expensive due to currency xchange.

If you are doubtful about these expensive product, try the local laundry product that you could find at supermarket. I think they would work as good.

As Tom said, drying the car via baking oven is good too. But I dont know how much it will cost, or how much of baking time is required.
Many thanks Ken Yeang, yes sure, I'll try. Appreciate your feedback.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Forummers,

1 of our forummer (Tecque) Red EK hatchback WEQ 3993 stolen this morning at his condo in Cheras this morning.

Description of the car:
Red colour
15" White Advan RG rims with Type R knuckle front and back.
EK9.org website sitcker on front windscreen
Alloy Blue rear lower arm
Carbon Fibre hood with lock pin.
Running engine is a B16 red top.
Door sides have visible Cusco X bars when the doors are open....

If anyone saw this car, please contact Tecque aka Terence at...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience