First Look: 2016 BMW M2 + Specs and Sound!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If I had to choose between the M2 and the CLA45 or A45, the M2 wins hands down in the looks department and possibly the handling department. But the Mercs would probably beat the M2 in a drag race.

However I don't really care about those things and it all just boils down to personal preference.
Looks department yes, I agree the M2 looks better. Handling if you want fun drifting then obviously the RWD M2 would be the one, but if you want point-to-point going fast in touge, not sure. In the wet, the AMG theoretically should have the advantage. Drag, well the zth times is just 0.1 sec edge for the AMG which is practically even, but real world especially when pick up from cruising speeds might be different case.

Yup, it's all personal preference. Gotta test drive both to really confirm which is the better car.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BMW fans are always into their old straight six goodness. As for me, I find the sound from their E92 M3 V8 and E60 M5 V10 even more addictive. Almost sounded like F1 to me. Is like you are driving a bimmer but they sound like Ferrari and Lamborghini. :biggrin:
Those days when talk about BMW is because of the straight 6 engine. Even a 320 have 6 cylinder until I drove the 318 4 cylinder one and the silky smooth engine feel no more.....:smokin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Tom : Personally I think all M cars made by the M boffins sound good. They probably handle like a dream too. But I think the M2 and M4 are somewhat stepping on their own toes. How is anyone going to be interested in the M1 or 3 now with these two introduced? Personally though, I'd like a 135i sedan.
All their NA M engines sound fantastic. It is their new turbo era engines that need more attention. looks like they got their exhaust note just right with the M2

I think the M2 has quite a clear separation from the bigger M3/M4 brothers. Plus with the M2 being that much more affordable, could attract new potential clients / followers.

The M2 could turn into something special, something on its own, like the Cayman.

I read some comments in some other forums that the A45 engine is pretty stretched already so not much more potential you can squeeze out of it. Don't know if true or not but maybe that's the explanation, it's more maximized already straight from the factory.
The 45 AMG engines are indeed almost maxed out, although a reflash could squeeze about 20hp more.

If I had to choose between the M2 and the CLA45 or A45, the M2 wins hands down in the looks department and possibly the handling department. But the Mercs would probably beat the M2 in a drag race.

However I don't really care about those things and it all just boils down to personal preference.
I am confident the M2 would drive better than the A45. On paper the Merc may trump the M2 but there's no replacement for displacement. The A45 will likely scream through the rev range most of the time.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The 45 AMG engines are indeed almost maxed out, although a reflash could squeeze about 20hp more.

I am confident the M2 would drive better than the A45. On paper the Merc may trump the M2 but there's no replacement for displacement. The A45 will likely scream through the rev range most of the time.
It's already putting out 380hp from just a 2.0 engine, so it's understandable that it's pretty close to be maxed out for a production car. I remember like over 10 yrs ago, only the special UK edition Evo VIII FQ400 could reach such power level from a 2.0 and the low rpm response was very sluggish.

AMG though claims it can produce 475nm from as low as 2250rpm only! So based on that, it should be almost like driving a bigger engine car as well. And the spec says the max rev is only 6700 rpm also, so it's not like a screamer engine as well. But yeah, I suppose the 3.0 straight 6 on the M2 should be even more effortless than this smaller 4 cyl. 2.0.

VoodooEx

Known Member
Feb 24, 2016
Johor Bahru
I am not sure whether it has been maxed out for the 2015 model or not. The faced lifted 2016 A45 and CLA45 could churned out additional 20+hp to 381hp.

Revozport performance kit also can tune the car to 425hp from the 2015 model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3C2vehJlc

Not sure how much more hp can be squeezed out from the 2L engine.

VoodooEx

Known Member
Feb 24, 2016
Johor Bahru
When MB first came out with that engine, it was the most powerful 4 cylinder engine back in 2014. It is still the most optimized engine in the world now, per litre i.e. 1L to 190HP. Can't wait for it to reach 1L to 200HP officially.

Most other conti car achieve that type of HP with a 2.5L engine.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Wah! 380bhp still want to squeeze to 400+.......:rolleyes:
Well like I said earlier, power can be addictive. If your brand new A45 still got smoked by an old Evo, you might get even more itchy! :biggrin:

When MB first came out with that engine, it was the most powerful 4 cylinder engine back in 2014. It is still the most optimized engine in the world now, per litre i.e. 1L to 190HP. Can't wait for it to reach 1L to 200HP officially.

Most other conti car achieve that type of HP with a 2.5L engine.
Well even 2.5 is still rarely reach such high power factory std! This new M2 uses 3.0 to reach similar power output.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Have to add that all AMG engines are hand built with a sign off from the said engineer.
This might have contributed to the possibility of being able to mass produce engines that are so highly strung over their competitors

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Well like I said earlier, power can be addictive. If your brand new A45 still got smoked by an old Evo, you might get even more itchy! :biggrin:

Well even 2.5 is still rarely reach such high power factory std! This new M2 uses 3.0 to reach similar power output.
The M2's engine definitely still has more room to get more power. Displacement advantage plus additional valves and 2 more cylinders :biggrin: