Fiat 500: Rebirth of an icon

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ

I can't help but notice that, while our European cousins can't stop wanking over the new Fiat 500 (Fiat can't make them fast enough it seems), there's hardly a murmur generated by the petrol heads over here. Why is that?

Top Gear (the magazine) very recently voted the original Fiat 500 as the sexiest car ever ever. And the new one has no plans of making a mockery of its predecessor. Certainly, its makers are hoping the new 500 will be to Fiat and cars, what the iPod is to Apple and gadgets.

Judging by the huge demand, they are off to a great start. They've already got 57,000 orders through its dealers just 3 weeks after its launch. And that's just from Italy and France. Fiat head honcho Sergio Marchionne is already revising the planned annual output figure from 120,000 to 140,000. They are already increasing this year's production from 58,000 to 67,000 units.

Personally, I can't wait to see it on our shores. It looks achingly sexy inside and out. Looking funky and classy all at the same time. If you care about fashion and looking good, this is the car for you. Plus, with an options list that can make your head explode, you can customise it to your hearts desire. As a matter of fact, check out the Fiat 500 Configurator at their website.

And for those of you who want to get a taste of what its like to drive; have a look at Car Magazines first drive review of the all new Fiat 500.

Pictures from Car Magazine:

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
wank over that ? can i have whatever you're smoking ? a *insert jdm kcar equivalent* would surpass it in all categories of looks, performance and of course price.

j/k j/k, not to take anything away from the fiat which is looking stylish especially with that interior but seriously, isnt the Mini already the statement thingy for cars ?

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Well, IMHO anyway, the new Mini is getting on a bit. The retro design which seemed so fresh at the time is now a bit stale. And the new new Mini is just a rehash of the rehash, but less successful compared to the first time. And its bigger, heavier, has that now comically large speedo and the Cooper now has a fake bonnet scoop. Not saying that the new new Mini isn't good. Besides, Fiat is basically copying the Mini recipe from BMW and hope to be just as successful. Just that the Fiat 500 is new and the new new Mini is kinda old. And to fashionistas, that means a lot.

kRiminaLz

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Docklands/SAlam
Visit site
This car is really sexy...

Regarding Top Gear's comment.... I SECOND that!...

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
i cant wait for the TG's verdict, also looking forward to the new season after the epic polar special last week.
You betcha! I just hope they feature more road tests and reviews this time around. Too many crazy stunts in the last series, although I now know its because they didn't have enough air time after the Hammond accident, so they showed all the expensive to produce "stunts". A lot of cars have been launched and Top Gear has a lot of catching up to do.

Speaking of the Mini Clubman...that thing just looks damn weird. And is pretty unnecessary. Despite the extra space afforded by the ugly back, it still isn't what you would use to lug stuff around, like a proper station wagon or an MPV. Its just a slightly bigger Mini. Which just ruins the look of the Mini further. Have a look at what Top Gear has to say; Top Gear | New Mini Clubman is, er, as ugly as 1960s version shock!

Last edited:

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
defeats the purpose of the mini dont chya think ?

id pass that and take a classic one with a liter bike engine in it.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Exactly.

The old Mini is still the best Mini.