Extractor Cover

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
All WiSE owner, or those who changed their extractor to the WiSE 4-2-1 know that the engine bay is extra hotter than normal Wira.

This is due to the nature of the 4-2-1 extractor, and also due to the heatshield that is not long enough to cover the top of the primary pipes.

Other than hot engine bay, that leads to accelerated ageing of the rubber & plastic parts, hotter intake air temperature, etc... the exposed extractor also means that the heat lost in the tubing can be affected by the cooling effect of the radiator fan.

To certain extend the cooling effect might cause a drop in the temperature in the exhaust stream. Air of lower temperature has higher static pressure. If this happenes in the exhaust stream, a higher back pressure can be expected.

Some experts recommend termal wrapping to reduce the cooling effect.

Me and guan initially had this idea long time ago to make an extension of the stock heatshild to cover the primary pipes. Just yesterday we found ourselves free for some DIYs..

These are the photos for sharing: http://drexchan.fotopic.net/c976627.html

You may ask about the details of the DIY in here..

materials:
1. manila card
2. thin aluminum sheet
3. AA1100 aluminum panels (1-mm thick)

tools & stationaries:
1. marker pen
2. a pair of scissors for paper
3. a pair of metal cutter
4. cutter
5. ruler
6. cordless drill and 3.5mm drill bid
7. jigsaw
8. rivette tool, 5 pcs of rivettes
9. flat and round files

cost: unknown
duration:: 2 hours
difficulty: 50:50

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
ur car damn clean.....is it new car? lolz....

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
howeichoo,
Year 2004, 2 years ++ already. Clean because i wash it quite oftenly.. at least twice a month.

Guan,
DIY garage has been quite quiet recently.. the interest will slowly pickup..

NSkyline

Known Member
Jul 2, 2005
Subang Jaya
Brother Drex....

Nice job bro....i got inspired to do mine but...mine got no heatshield afater i change to 4-2-1. cuz cannot fix there already....mine ride is iswara 1.3 lor....so...need to find a way to cover the extrator lor...cause engine bay very hot liao....aiseh.....

kelisa6009

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 20, 2003
Penang Kia
how u all get the shape of the heat shield...?

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
wah nice made ....... looks like transformer in your pic ...... but its nicely done .....

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
wah sifoo... at last done ur heatshield adi arr....
i saw ur pictures, the extractor damn near ur fan lar.... danger danger danger.... anytime can burn the wiring....

now got heatshield adi good lar... can keep the heat in....

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
one more thing i still wondering ..... after u put the heat shield then where the heat will go .... ? last time there is space for the heat to escape but now no place to escape oledi .....

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
NSkyline said:
Brother Drex....

Nice job bro....i got inspired to do mine but...mine got no heatshield afater i change to 4-2-1. cuz cannot fix there already....mine ride is iswara 1.3 lor....so...need to find a way to cover the extrator lor...cause engine bay very hot liao....aiseh.....
use thermal wrap. Thermal wrap is made of glass fibre. I found some good looking wooven glass fibre fabric in ACE hardware. I am not sure about the width and length. Also, quote thin, maybe need 2 or 3 layers (folded). Price is about RM2x.xx. Worth a try.

But be extra carefl when you are dealing with glass fibre.. always wear long sleeve gloves. Wet the fibre with water to soften it. Secure it using hose clamps.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
SkYwAlKeR said:
wah sifoo... at last done ur heatshield adi arr....
i saw ur pictures, the extractor damn near ur fan lar.... danger danger danger.... anytime can burn the wiring....

now got heatshield adi good lar... can keep the heat in....
The extractor comes with a heatshield but it was kinda short thus exposing the primary tubes. You know.. proton.. new extractor but the same old heatshield design.. so it looks like tak pakai seluar...

No worry about the wiring, it has been like that for more than a year.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
edwin_lcw said:
one more thing i still wondering ..... after u put the heat shield then where the heat will go .... ? last time there is space for the heat to escape but now no place to escape oledi .....
The heat will still escape from the bottom and side.. but as we know, the principle of convection is that, hot air flows upwards. What I did (and many other heatshields do), is to block the upward flow thus less heat is convected to the engine bay. When the fan blows or the car moves, the heat is carried away through the bottom.

BTW, the main objective of this DIY is to reduce the heat lost in the exhaust stream in the primary pipes so that the density of the exhaust gas can be lower, thus less back pressure. But the effect is very minimal lar.. what I get is more on the visual effect lar.. haha!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys,

wanna to ask about this , how can we adjust the air fuel setting to more lean to get better pick up and economy in stock 4G91 engine ?? pls advice.. Thanks :unsure:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience