exhaust temp, too high

princefx

guys,

would appreciate your input on this. What is the average tempreture of your turbo exhaust?
i noticed mine reaches very high temps very fast. and just with 2-3 gears of boosting at about 1.2 bar. In actual fact i think the high temps from the exhaust manifold caused my aircon pressure hose to blow a couple of days back.

my question is what the average temp from your exhaust manifold and is there any way to not make it get so hot?
thanks

1.2 bar? WOW!! that must've been one helluva pull!!

Assuming you've done all your tuning and such, therefore there should not be any cause to be alarmed by the rapid increase in ext temp because heat is a by-product of combustion.

Mine hits around 850c during hard driving, i'm running at 12 psi. according to what my mech told me, as long as it doesn't hit 900c and above then no worries. so i have been pushing it hard all day and night, so far so good. :)

Idling should be about 350-450, crusing should be 550-750, high boost will reach 800-900. Mine last time reach 1180, something melted... hehehehe... shame... :p

thanks dudes, mine seem to be around the same figure too. so i guess it's normal then.

Very important also is the location of your sensor. Depending on your location you would be better able to compare. Just my input.

Yep.. I agreed. Best place to put is the outlet hose of the turbo to get the accurate temp. :)

Revo said:
Yep.. I agreed. Best place to put is the outlet hose of the turbo to get the accurate temp. :)

Hmmmm, Actually the correct place to put it is before the turbo. After the turbo the ext temp will be cooler by about 100C as its cooled by the turbo. Furthermore you would want to know how hot is the exhaust gases that is entering your turbo to prevent turbo failure.

Measuring EGT at the downpipe could be deceiving more so when you have a oil & water cooled core.

Top Bottom