Electric motors? The future?

hex999

Known Member
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
not entirely sure if the facts of wiki is 100% right, but it does have that decent amount of horse power which is very impressive for an electric motor

tesla model s vs BMW M5
Tesla Model S vs BMW M5 Drag Race - YouTube

worls fastest electric racing car
World's fastest electric racing car can reach speeds of OVER 185 MPH and is set to compete at next year's Le Mans event | Mail Online

Fast battery swap
Tesla Model S - Battery Swap HD Official - YouTube

So what do you guys think?

Pretty certain it will go big way if it can run for a day with a full charge like my Samsung. Better still if it comes with replaceable battery unlike iPhone, just swap and go. The need to stay in a motel just to wait for the battery to fully charge up is a bad idea.

Electric motors do produce an impressive amount of torque, which would explain the acceleration figures.

The next step where you can either :

1) swap batteries easily if your current one runs out of juice, or
2)a charging station where it'll take no more than 5 minutes to charge your battery up

If one of this is possible (which is big ask, currently), there's no reason why electric vehicles can't be the next big thing.

Instantaneous torque feels like a kick in the balls. Hardly boring.

Originally Posted by RENESIS VIII
Doesn't even have any exhaust so no sound at all which feels a bit boring.

like he said a bit oni, like coffee wit taste but no smell, where the smell play & important role:rofl:

like he said a bit oni, like coffee wit taste but no smell, where the smell play & important role:rofl:

Like doing physical activities with no [strike]moan[/strike] grunt?

Instantaneous torque feels like a kick in the balls. Hardly boring.

I know electric cars are very fast. But still, the exhaust note is like a part of a car's character. So it feels like lack of something.

For example like reading. I still think reading with a real paper book feels better than reading an e book. How should I say it... It was something like the feeling.

I know electric cars are very fast. But still, the exhaust note is like a part of a car's character. So it feels like lack of something.

For example like reading. I still think reading with a real paper book feels better than reading an e book. How should I say it... It was something like the feeling.

Try reading with an Amazon Paperwhite. It feels like paper. I'm ready to go paperless, except toilet paper and tissue paper. That one I still prefer physical over digital.

Once, human love the sound of external combustion...
Then the internal combustion with popping exhaust...
American still loves their unequal length manifold V8..we call them oldskool...
Engine went smoother...no more big displacement...comes small displacement with high rpm...
Comes exhaust and intake tuning..they call it sound engineering...
Now the age of turbo engine...natural silencer there..

Why not electric motor for the future?...in RC world, at first people hate electric power...
Now the electric RC plane, helicopter, car, buggy goes faster and faster...breaking record everywhere...can play indoor...during rain...tuning is more like ECU tuning..dynamic timing, boost rate...no more messing with carburators...bigger (heavier) engine size? nah, just gimme lower turn motor...

Its the future...no more LSD...no more transfer axle for 4/AWD...no more reverse gear...heck, no more gearbox...

I love this car. It can only dream to own it as it is out of reach. For those who knows me, they will know I am a petrolhead. Always hungry for power and torque and nice exhaust note.

But this guy, Elon Musk, is truly inspiring. Try to think, combustion have to be reduce some day. Reduced considerably. We might not like this now but things do evolve. We might like it in the future. Remember the old diesel days? Black smoke, bulls**t performance, noisy etc. Look at the euro diesels now! And for this Tesla model S, it can go up to a range of 480 km!!! Remember when electric cars had a range of only 100+ km?

I myself might not like it now. But as an environmental scientist, I do believe that in the future, most thing have to go electric. And I salute this guy, Elon Musk for having the balls to pioneer something so new and risky. I suggest that we have the time, please view the youtube video "Megafactories - Tesla Model S". It's a National geographic documentary "Megafactories".

Try to understand and share his vision.

Megafactories - Tesla Model S | Zinatnieks Science TV - YouTube

I strongly believe the future for cars and bikes will be electric power. Battery technology are becoming more advanced and even carbon fibre is mass produced now (like those in BMW i3 and i8). I guess in less than 15 years more than 50% of all new cars will be electric powered.

Also, one big advantage of electric cars that is often overlooked is that it doesn't need a lot of maintenance. No engine oil, no spark plugs, no air filter etc.

I'd take this Tesla over a Ferrari anyday. Not because it's electric, because it looks so-damn-good!

My only problem with electric cars is range. As of today most if not all electric vehicles have rubbish range. Flat out it'll probably reduce the range even more. Sepang races would be the most boring in the world since after probably 5 laps you'll have to stop to recharge for 8 hours.

agree with most of you... but from reading sumwhere???
1. in the future, battery swap is possible, if ALL can share the same battery construction.
2. rapid charging can be done, but in higher AMP (please correct me if wrong)... alot of safety measure need to consider...
3. electric motor torque start from 0 rpm, good for city drive, but in hilly area (with certain steep degree), to climb need electric motor with huge magnets.
4. sepang is 5.5km, so with 5 laps just 25++km... still in the range maaa
5. electric motor still need maintenance - carbon brush (maybe brush-less?) and need rewinding after certain period....

My opinion (2cent), in the near future, the ones will survive is still hybrid (Fisker Karma, i3, prius, Volt +++).... that is electric and range extender in 1 package....

So many of you are embracing the future of electric cars openly. Maybe I still need some time before I can think like you guys here or am I just having an old fashioned mindset?

1. in the future, battery swap is possible, if ALL can share the same battery construction.
2. rapid charging can be done, but in higher AMP (please correct me if wrong)... alot of safety measure need to consider...
3. electric motor torque start from 0 rpm, good for city drive, but in hilly area (with certain steep degree), to climb need electric motor with huge magnets.
5. electric motor still need maintenance - carbon brush (maybe brush-less?) and need rewinding after certain period....

My opinion (2cent), in the near future, the ones will survive is still hybrid (Fisker Karma, i3, prius, Volt +++).... that is electric and range extender in 1 package....

Wahaha, Fisker Karma and survive doesn't belong in the same sentence. Fisker would probably be bankrupt soon.

3.In hilly area it (Tesla Model S) will smoke the M5 even faster, due to max torque @ 0 rpm.
5. I think the motor will last long enough, so far its a non-issue.

So many of you are embracing the future of electric cars openly. Maybe I still need some time before I can think like you guys here or am I just having an old fashioned mindset?

That's the problem, you are still thinking. You gotta experience it to realize that it defies all knowledge of cars.

what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

I think to be frank, my point of view is this. Elon Musk is NOT a car manufacturer. He is NOT an engineer. He is first a businessman, second a physicist. He is the direction of Tesla, and from what I've seen from his car

1.Tesla Roadster, a Lotus Elise derived electric car. He chose the absolute best platform available in the market, and electrified it. Why? He wanted to learn how to build a car that handles. Power is easy, just slap turbos, bigger engines, and you're done. But handling is an art, even the Nissan GT-R consults Lotus to engineer their handling. Elon knows this.

2.You look at the Tesla Model S, and you ask yourself, this car has the lowest coefficient of drag of ANY production car at 0.24cd. This is the first fully in-house car designed and build by Tesla.

Audi A6 & Nissan GTR = 0.26 cd
Toyota Prius = 0.25 cd

Why is it so hard for other manufacturers to do this? Keyless entry? That's so outdated. How about door handles that popup when you approach?
2013 Tesla Model S Door Handles - YouTube

If I were to simplify it, Tesla Model S is equivalent as the iPhone, 1st gen. They defined a new category and they did it damn well. When the FIRST iPhone came out, Blackberry and Nokia were still market leaders of their respective categories, smartphones & normal phones. Remember that time?

Today, BMW is the global leader for luxury cars, and Toyota is probably the market leader for passenger cars.

And why is Tesla the Apple of automotive industry? Because Elon Musk doesn't make cars. Elon Musk didn't come from Detroit. He came from Silicon Valley, like Steve Jobs. He's in the digital business, he co-founded PayPal. And he knows what customer wants, like Steve Jobs.

Currently they are spearheading high end electric car, they will own the technology, the patents, and in the future I believe you'll see BMW cars "powered by Tesla". Imagine buying cars were like buying computers, Acer, Dell, it doesn't matter. They are all powered by Intel processors. That's Tesla (I believe).

Wahaha, Fisker Karma and survive doesn't belong in the same sentence. Fisker would probably be bankrupt soon.

3.In hilly area it (Tesla Model S) will smoke the M5 even faster, due to max torque @ 0 rpm.
5. I think the motor will last long enough, so far its a non-issue.

That's the problem, you are still thinking. You gotta experience it to realize that it defies all knowledge of cars.

what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

I think to be frank, my point of view is this. Elon Musk is NOT a car manufacturer. He is NOT an engineer. He is first a businessman, second a physicist. He is the direction of Tesla, and from what I've seen from his car

1.Tesla Roadster, a Lotus Elise derived electric car. He chose the absolute best platform available in the market, and electrified it. Why? He wanted to learn how to build a car that handles. Power is easy, just slap turbos, bigger engines, and you're done. But handling is an art, even the Nissan GT-R consults Lotus to engineer their handling. Elon knows this.

2.You look at the Tesla Model S, and you ask yourself, this car has the lowest coefficient of drag of ANY production car at 0.24cd. This is the first fully in-house car designed and build by Tesla.

Audi A6 & Nissan GTR = 0.26 cd
Toyota Prius = 0.25 cd

Why is it so hard for other manufacturers to do this? Keyless entry? That's so outdated. How about door handles that popup when you approach?
2013 Tesla Model S Door Handles - YouTube

If I were to simplify it, Tesla Model S is equivalent as the iPhone, 1st gen. They defined a new category and they did it damn well. When the FIRST iPhone came out, Blackberry and Nokia were still market leaders of their respective categories, smartphones & normal phones. Remember that time?

Today, BMW is the global leader for luxury cars, and Toyota is probably the market leader for passenger cars.

And why is Tesla the Apple of automotive industry? Because Elon Musk doesn't make cars. Elon Musk didn't come from Detroit. He came from Silicon Valley, like Steve Jobs. He's in the digital business, he co-founded PayPal. And he knows what customer wants, like Steve Jobs.

Currently they are spearheading high end electric car, they will own the technology, the patents, and in the future I believe you'll see BMW cars "powered by Tesla". Imagine buying cars were like buying computers, Acer, Dell, it doesn't matter. They are all powered by Intel processors. That's Tesla (I believe).

BMW M4, Tesla Inside. Hahahahhaa. Agreeable on the iPhone example.
And now, Nokia is terbalik in the niche market, with Windows Phone. :biggrin:

I strongly believe the future for cars and bikes will be electric power. Battery technology are becoming more advanced and even carbon fibre is mass produced now (like those in BMW i3 and i8). I guess in less than 15 years more than 50% of all new cars will be electric powered.

Also, one big advantage of electric cars that is often overlooked is that it doesn't need a lot of maintenance. No engine oil, no spark plugs, no air filter etc.

thanks to point that out...i just noticed the Prius are using AC motor which is similar to brushless motor...thus 'almost' zero maintenance needed..

Fisker gone bankrupt..

1. Its possible, but then battery also can 'kong'...what if you swap, then got 'kong' battery...
I think feasible option currently is using power grid...similar to those electric train...see, you dont need to carry the power source with you...

2. Even with the fastest charging available, its till too damn long...as an example, best LiPo battery can charge up to 12C...which means 12 times the mah...5 minutes? for an RC car which can empty the battery at 5 minutes..in a scale, you drive 1 hour, you charge 1 hour...

3. They dont play with magnets, but rather the coiling or 'turn'...your example for city drive and hilly drive is the same....both need low end torque...
Electric motor is just the same with any other engine...we set the gearing...either for acceleration or top speed....if in doubt, just use gearbox, like what we currently use..

4. Thought they already race EV...toyota maybe but not in sepang..cant recalled...

5. They use AC motor...rotor/magnet in the middle....zero maintenance...