DIY Interior Lights Tapping Dome Light

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
DIY Make from scratch led light for legroom

As title says.

Pleaseeeeeeeee include step by step explanation.
Or just paste a link to the other thread about this.

Searched on the web, still can't get a good explanation.

thanks in advance.

-Since nobody replied, i have to try it out by myself.
:thefinger:

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
After days and days of finding sources in the internet, i haven't found a steady solution to what I want which is having LEDs installed under the dash(legs there) and on/off like how a dome light does.
I'm driving a Proton Persona Elegance.

So, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You tap to a cig lighter to the positive then tap the ground to the door sensor.

2) Direct tapping from the dome light's -/+ festoon bulb holder.

3) Tapping the 2 wires from the wires of dome light. (Which I doubt it is gonna give me on/off switches function.

4) Any other solutions? I don't wanna tap headlight or taillights.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Why not just find a live wire under the dash, then connect to that and the door switch? That way it'll follow whenever the door opens up?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Why not just find a live wire under the dash, then connect to that and the door switch? That way it'll follow whenever the door opens up?
Aih, so sad nobody wanna reply me. As in tap any live wire(Cig lighter), then negative wire to the negative wire of door sensor? If i wanna on whenever i want, must open door lor?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Aih, so sad nobody wanna reply me. As in tap any live wire(Cig lighter), then negative wire to the negative wire of door sensor? If i wanna on whenever i want, must open door lor?
Well in that case why not just tap hte live wire from ciglighter then negative connect to a switch la. Then you can control on or off mah. Simple!

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Just tap the wire inside the dome light housing, newer car dome light will on when u open alarm, b4 u start the car the light will slowly dim, then u can on off it also. By using a meter u can trace which connector to tap under your dashboard, if u dun know electric stuff better go to workshop to do it, to avoid frying your wiring.

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
So let me get this straight.

1st, disconnect Battery first.
2nd, tap the live wire of cig lighter or the dome light live wire, then the negative one put to the negative of door sensor?

OR,
I should just tap at the festoon metal holder inside the dome lights?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So let me get this straight.

1st, disconnect Battery first.
2nd, tap the live wire of cig lighter or the dome light live wire, then the negative one put to the negative of door sensor?

OR,
I should just tap at the festoon metal holder inside the dome lights?
- Leave the battery in first then test to see which is the live wire.
- Disconnect battery (not really necessary but safe better than sorry)
- Connect to the live wire you tested earlier to a switch which you can mount anywhere
- Connect the switch to the Live and ground it to the chassis.

Then you can control the LED lor.

Oh btw, I assume this it the leg well LED right?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
- Leave the battery in first then test to see which is the live wire.
- Disconnect battery (not really necessary but safe better than sorry)
- Connect to the live wire you tested earlier to a switch which you can mount anywhere
- Connect the switch to the Live and ground it to the chassis.

Then you can control the LED lor.

Oh btw, I assume this it the leg well LED right?
Yeah, it is. I want to control the lights using dome light functions woi. Like the door opens, the lights will on.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh in that case just tap the dome light trigger and take power from ciglighter. Also install a switch so you can disable it whenever you want. If you're ok with electronics, add the switch in such a way it's either "always on" or "follows door trigger". :biggrin:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Oh in that case just tap the dome light trigger and take power from ciglighter. Also install a switch so you can disable it whenever you want. If you're ok with electronics, add the switch in such a way it's either "always on" or "follows door trigger". :biggrin:
DIY done. Done by tapping long wire from the dome light bulb holder. directly. Looking good. Changed my number plate lights to white too. A pain in the ass to change it. I wonder why would Proton persona people design it like that.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
show pictures la!
All wires are on the roof, pillars, and rubber door seals. All did neatly unless u look under the dash. Haha. My camera settings are not that good. But look at the floor mat lah, it's white.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Sometime soon, i will do back seat too. Er Izso, u know where to get those Mugen or Type R 4th brake light? I like the light to be rectangular, not triangle(ugly). And also white in colour

Each side only 5SMD white led. I don't want to use led stripe because its too freaking bright. This brightness is just the way i like it. :hello:

hAz

Known Member
Feb 17, 2007
congrats on your diy bro..

i did mine with just a simple on off switch.. which i leave it on 24/7..hehe
i use blue LED strips..not as bright as white strips i guess..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all the masters,im new here,this is my 1st post,hope can hear some idea n opinion.
im old school car fan,i like old school car very much,i have this mitsubishi galant 1.6year 1982.everything is original,didnt change anything at all,even the 24 years old radio is still function well,i just repaint once in 24 years.anything i can do on this car?from outlook to engine,what should i do to make this car better?i hope this car can b more faster,mayb i should do anything on the engine,or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience