CEFIRO A33 2.0 upgrade to 3.0 and BOT

Shanya

Aug 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Well one of my friend who is driving a new Audi A6 mocked my beloved cefiro a33 for being sluggish and underpowered. So bragged that "german engineering will also be worlds ahead than Japanese engineering" yes I know it is underpowered but I think he deserves a lesson :D. Thus, since I have some spare time, I would like to do some upgrades. Plan on plonking in a 3000cc VQ30DE( 230 PS (170 kW; 230 hp) and 217 lb·ft (294 N·m) (engine lantai, full wiring) and plan on a bolt on turbo(custom). I might look for a manual transmission too but it is very rare for my model.

So the upgrade would be a bigger engine(1000CC) and a bolt on turbo(low boost), engine management(e- manage), 3.0inch piping

So I need some advice, my aim is around 300HP. I plan for long term reliability, not much of performance. Do I need to strengthen the internals of the engine and do I need an intercooler if I plan on going for low boost? For the turbo, what brand should I go for or what specifications, I do not plan for any future modifications... any other advice would be appreciated, and also well lets just ignore about the "endorsing" part :thefinger:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
just add supercharger....plenty of supercharger kit to suits nissan v6

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Intercooler i think is better to put. Cooling for turbo cars is always a good thing :biggrin:

But if you dont plan to boost it very high, then dont get a big ass intercooler, as you may have lag.

But i agree with PomenGTR. If you already planning to plonk in a 3.0 and assuming your transmission is auto (since you say u want to get manual), supercharge it ler.....Big CC + Supercharge = Best......Hear the roar of the 3.0 and wheeeezing of the SC....Bestttttt.....SC probably easier to install as well....

Shanya

Aug 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
just add supercharger....plenty of supercharger kit to suits nissan v6
Can I know the cost of it? I tried googling, could not find any supercharger kit in malaysia, do you know any workshop that still sells the kit?

Intercooler i think is better to put. Cooling for turbo cars is always a good thing :biggrin:

But if you dont plan to boost it very high, then dont get a big ass intercooler, as you may have lag.

But i agree with PomenGTR. If you already planning to plonk in a 3.0 and assuming your transmission is auto (since you say u want to get manual), supercharge it ler.....Big CC + Supercharge = Best......Hear the roar of the 3.0 and wheeeezing of the SC....Bestttttt.....SC probably easier to install as well....
I see, thank you. I was actually considering to swap the 3.5CC (vq35de). The international version of the cefiro originally has a 3.5cc engine. But outsourcing that engine is a pain in the ass, anyone has any idea where I could obtain it?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you're gonna go big (turbo), strengthen internals since you seem to have the budget. Forged conrods, forged low comp pistons, shot peen whatever you can, increase the intercooler size, plonk in the biggest turbo that'll fit and twin charge it with a supercharger as well, Motec/Haltech standalone and get a good tuner.

Then shut that euro trash up with your Cefiro!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For me, I would just ignore the bragging of the Audi Owner completely. He's probably childish-minded and spoilt-adult. He's probably has a big mouth and thinks his Audi is a wonder machine, that could tapau every car on the road. If he has a big dick, he probably think all the women in the world should rightly be his bitches. Next time, what would you do when you confronted with a Ferrari Owner and brag about his car??

I would do up the cefiro nicely, maintain it well (as you have said, your beloved car) and enjoy driving it the way you like and want it.
Driving in your beloved car is definitely not about smoking another car, not about what engine, 1000 hp, price tag, etc.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents worth. No offence.

Shanya

Aug 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone ada jalan to get a new/used supercharger kit for A33? been doing some serious googling, coulnt find anything decent.
regarding the engine also in mudah, couldn't find any 3 litre halfcuts :(

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
U need an intercooler no matter how tiny the turbo is. Unless its some surbo...
Or you can run it like it's the 1980's all over again: No intercooler! :driver:

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

Well one of my friend who is driving a new Audi A6 mocked my beloved cefiro a33 for being sluggish and underpowered. So bragged that "german engineering will also be worlds ahead than Japanese engineering" yes I know it is underpowered but I think he deserves a lesson :D. Thus, since I have some spare time, I would like to do some upgrades. Plan on plonking in a 3000cc VQ30DE( 230 PS (170 kW; 230 hp) and 217 lb·ft (294 N·m) (engine lantai, full wiring) and plan on a bolt on turbo(custom). I might look for a manual transmission too but it is very rare for my model.

So the upgrade would be a bigger engine(1000CC) and a bolt on turbo(low boost), engine management(e- manage), 3.0inch piping

So I need some advice, my aim is around 300HP. I plan for long term reliability, not much of performance. Do I need to strengthen the internals of the engine and do I need an intercooler if I plan on going for low boost? For the turbo, what brand should I go for or what specifications, I do not plan for any future modifications... any other advice would be appreciated, and also well lets just ignore about the "endorsing" part :thefinger:
Your friend sounds like he doesn't understand how vehicles work as a whole, personally i'd take the advice from the rest of the guys and say the same, but if you have the money to build the engine why not... could be really fun.

Personally for me I think the headaches that you'll run into if you turbo the engine as it is would be:

1. Cracked pistons.
2. A blown engine entirely.

Or if the engine can take it:

3. Gearbox slip.

For engine parts you can cari on ebay for VQ30det head gaskets and pistons which would give your VQ30 a 9:0:1 compression ratio.

Next problem would be deciding whether you want to go a single or twin turbo route. Your A33's engine bay is really cramped, so you and your mechanic have to decide where you're going to mount the turbos. Personally i'd go for a single one behind the rear bank... less pipes all over the place, one less turbo to maintain.

Whatever you're doing, it's not going to be cheap nor easy since your A33 is not a very common platform to be modified. Though that being said, it'll be very unique if you can get everything done without blowing up the engine and/or gearbox.

Roughly la here would be the parts you need to run reliably:

1. VQ30DET Pistons & piston rings
2. VQ30DET head gasket set
3. Heat range 7/8 spark plugs
4. Larger fuel injectors. CC and what fits, that you'll have to do your own research.
5. Higher flow fuel pump. Walbro, DeatschWerks, Halfcut RB26 fuel pump... up to what your mech says.
6. Turbo. A GT30/35 should get you where you want at low boost without surging. Local guys love to call it AR70 though.
7. The largest intercooler you can stuff behind your bumper haha. :rofl:
8. An external wastegate to control boost.
9. Your piggyback to tune the car.
10. Someone to fabricate your turbo manifolds, intercooler pipes, and exhaust.
11. *Optional* Gearbox cooler to keep it from burning away under the amount of torque you'll have.
12. *Optional* Boost controller of some sort.

Have fun. :biggrin:

Last edited:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
If decide to get boost controller, get those that comes with the scramble option. Hehehehehehe. Lets you increase the boost for a short period of time when u press the button. Like a NOS. Hahahahahha......Or maybe NOS??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Much wild ideas coming, this attitude of euro driver has to taste what 2jz could do.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just wondering, why not just plonk in SR20DET?

Shanya

Aug 5, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Or you can run it like it's the 1980's all over again: No intercooler! :driver:

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

Your friend sounds like he doesn't understand how vehicles work as a whole, personally i'd take the advice from the rest of the guys and say the same, but if you have the money to build the engine why not... could be really fun.

Personally for me I think the headaches that you'll run into if you turbo the engine as it is would be:

1. Cracked pistons.
2. A blown engine entirely.

Or if the engine can take it:

3. Gearbox slip.

For engine parts you can cari on ebay for VQ30det head gaskets and pistons which would give your VQ30 a 9:0:1 compression ratio.

Next problem would be deciding whether you want to go a single or twin turbo route. Your A33's engine bay is really cramped, so you and your mechanic have to decide where you're going to mount the turbos. Personally i'd go for a single one behind the rear bank... less pipes all over the place, one less turbo to maintain.

Whatever you're doing, it's not going to be cheap nor easy since your A33 is not a very common platform to be modified. Though that being said, it'll be very unique if you can get everything done without blowing up the engine and/or gearbox.

Roughly la here would be the parts you need to run reliably:

1. VQ30DET Pistons & piston rings
2. VQ30DET head gasket set
3. Heat range 7/8 spark plugs
4. Larger fuel injectors. CC and what fits, that you'll have to do your own research.
5. Higher flow fuel pump. Walbro, DeatschWerks, Halfcut RB26 fuel pump... up to what your mech says.
6. Turbo. A GT30/35 should get you where you want at low boost without surging. Local guys love to call it AR70 though.
7. The largest intercooler you can stuff behind your bumper haha. :rofl:
8. An external wastegate to control boost.
9. Your piggyback to tune the car.
10. Someone to fabricate your turbo manifolds, intercooler pipes, and exhaust.
11. *Optional* Gearbox cooler to keep it from burning away under the amount of torque you'll have.
12. *Optional* Boost controller of some sort.

Have fun. :biggrin:
Awesome advice. I think will most likely look for those supercharger kits for the vq30de. Last i heard a company in us did them but stop production. Regarding the intercooler. Is it true that using a large one with low boost will create alot of lag?
And i guess if im aiming for reliability. I guess i have to strip the engine down and change the internals. I assumed if its lowboost i could just plonk in a supercharger leaving the engine stock

Just wondering, why not just plonk in SR20DET?
Prefer the smoothness of a v6 and the sound it produces. The sr is an inline 4

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Awesome advice. I think will most likely look for those supercharger kits for the vq30de. Last i heard a company in us did them but stop production. Regarding the intercooler. Is it true that using a large one with low boost will create alot of lag?
And i guess if im aiming for reliability. I guess i have to strip the engine down and change the internals. I assumed if its lowboost i could just plonk in a supercharger leaving the engine stock

Prefer the smoothness of a v6 and the sound it produces. The sr is an inline 4
With larger intercooler it takes time to spool so you get lag...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

is a grounding cable/wire is a needy for a car ?? do every car need to have it ??

does it have side effect ??

Does there any good grounding cable recommended to use on myvi yrv ??

or it just waste money..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience