Anyone know how to HOMEMAKE fiber or carbon fiber?

jeff_ong

Aug 15, 2004
I just wanna ask anyone out there who know how to homemake carbon fiber bodykits or hoods.I am interested in making them myself, but i doesn't know what is the right stuff and chemical and how to mix them together and also what is the correct step.And where to get the materials and chemicals like kelvar and etc.....

Anyone can advise me on that?

WinDz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
intresting ooo... how to start off with fibreglass? any tools that we need to prepare? stanley sii fuu.. pls teach

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
hi everyone

i just wan to HOMEMADE plastic one
then i stick cf sticker on it...

how to make plastic?

I

Indecided

plastic : get a injection moulding machine. also read below

CF hood : rob a bank then buy your tools

so far i guess for experimenting, fiber is your best bet. resin harderner and fibre sheets are all easily available.. and much more economical compared to plastic and CF. and it's probably the one with the easiest learning curve :)

jeff_ong

Aug 15, 2004
aiyor...i know nothin about these fiberglasses la...how to start...haha...
first where to get those material for fiberglass and then how to mix it?
then what is the next step?? have to ask these sifussssss....
maybe we should get together to demonstarte by an expert in here le...

so pls tell me how to start from the beginning...

Seabiscuit

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Sometime JB
Visit site
You might start with home made kindergarden moulding project. Uses some hard cardboards as internal support, old news paper and wallpaper glue to shape whatever you like. I ever tot of making a CAI scoop using these meterial then spay a layer of water proof paint. :P

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
but.. i wan to try make plastic/fibre/whatever-not-havy-thing
to make a hood....

large part..

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
hi

making composite parts is actually a very simple process, but it is a highly-skilled simple process..

let me start off slowly,

what you need are fibre glass (cloth or chopped-strand), resin, hardener, some kind of measuring cup/container, rollers, mold release

first of all , you'll need a mould (this is the hard and tedious part). you can experiment with just a flat surface but obviously you'll want to make some parts taht have a shape or sth. so make the mould; you can use polyurethane foam (make sure it's the LOW-DENSITY ones) and then cut and file and sandpaper down to the correct shape. next, you need to apply mold release on your prepared mould. you'll need about 5-6 layers at least. then, you'll now start to cut up your fibre glass, make sure the cloth or chopped-strand-mat are cut to the required size. prepare the amount of cloth that you need (as in, you may want a 2 layers product or a 10 layers product). once you're done, go mix your resin and hardener. now you can start doing your wet lay-up. remember to use the rollers and squeeze all the excess resin out of the fibreglass (you'll want a high fibre-resin ratio)

you do not need an autoclave to do the job. just leave it at room temperature to cure over 24 hours.

i'd suggest you go and buy a book on how to make composites before you decide to do it. another gentle reminder, fibreglass making process can make you itch like hell. and when it's cured, the sharp edges are worse than knives

PM me if you want to know more

:)

Vyraz

Known Member
Nov 23, 2004
penang
Visit site
Originally posted by sam1741@Jan 26 2005, 14:12
but.. i wan to try make plastic/fibre/whatever-not-havy-thing
to make a hood....

large part..
i have an idea.. but dont laugh ok?? and its not a joke.remember when we were kids and they tought us how to make paper mache stuff.. like get a bowl and coat layers of paper on it.. then u will get a shape of that??
well... here's the thing... fibre glass comes in the form of a cloth (well the one for my dads boat did), so, u cant shape it, and.. u also cant put the sheet on ur hood to shape it too.. coz it will bond to your hood. so, paper mache the hood, take it off, sand it smooth, then add a layer of fibre glass on it..
then grind it smooth, paint it.. and viola! a very lightweight hood.
how ur gonna install it is beyond me.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
where can we get those stuff to make fibre glass or carbon fire?

or can we use other things (substitutes) to make something...

let say we use paper or cotton cloth for de strength.. then use some glue or something like dat to hold de shape... just like wat SeaBiscuit said...

then use paint n putty as outer layer to protect from water...??

any ideas or comments?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Salam 1Malaysia...I'm new in automotive arena...(not to new la..). now i drive wira 1.5 carb, i got a prob that is FC prob. full tank can go below 400km. any suggestion from taiko@sifu@master?
mod that i've done:
1. denso iridium ik22
2.4-2-1 exst 1.8 pipe, twin tip rear(like putra)
3.distributor w19(bigger fire ppl said)but feel the same like oem
4.grounding
5.1.6 wira clutch+lighten flywheel
6.service every 5000km with 20-50 oil

hope anyone can help...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience