Altezza 3SGE Engine Overhaul?

iori_argami

Hi All sifu n gurus, i'm planning to buy a altezza 3sge, but i heard that over the year the horsepower tend to drop alot due to the rear wheel drive or something. here's my few question

1. Other than dyno, any other method to check the hp of the current engine?
2. what would be the best way to increase the hp back to original or maybe better than current horsepower. Overhauling? rebuild engine?

Any sifu or gurus done this before? who or which shop can i refer to? what would be my wallet damage like? Thanks in advance

Dude, FR car is indeed will hv more power loss during the power being transfer to the rear wheel.

1. Dyno is the practical way to find out your on-wheel HP output.
2. Overhaul not necesarry can restore it to the factory performance. or, Turbo- or super-charged if u want to maintain 3SGE, or transplant to 1JZ to get instant power-up!

i jus wana use a stock engine.. without any SC or TC as it will be expensive.. by the way how much does it cost for a dyno test? i don mean i wan a full factory performance as i know that will be quite impossible.. just thinking of mayb able to increase the current hp. so u tink overhaul will help? by the way, is overhaul n rebuild engine the same?

If you want to retain the original 3S engine, which i highly recommend :P so your car's weight balance is also retained, many things you can do to increase your power.

First, change the stock drop-in air filter to K&N or some sort, something more free flowing. Next you can change your headers, middle pipe and exhaust system to free up the 'respiratory' system of your car, making it feel lighter and more lively.

If you want to be more hardcore, change the pulleys and cams, port and polish and those sorts. But if you're looking for more power, TC or SC is the way to go.. The 3S engine is very reliable for SC or TC.

If you want to retain the original 3S engine, which i highly recommend :P so your car's weight balance is also retained, many things you can do to increase your power.

Balance is often misused...we are not using it for drift,stunts,rally or jumps.if changing engine to 1JZ 'unbalance' the car then what about the IS300 with 2JZ?.Usually a good set of suspension(adjustables preferred) would solve this.

First, change the stock drop-in air filter to K&N or some sort, something more free flowing. Next you can change your headers, middle pipe and exhaust system to free up the 'respiratory' system of your car, making it feel lighter and more lively.

Manual would be better to change the powerband,In any case buying a ecu would be the least problematic way to increase performance(not necessary power)

If you want to be more hardcore, change the pulleys and cams, port and polish and those sorts. But if you're looking for more power, TC or SC is the way to go.. The 3S engine is very reliable for SC or TC.

Cams and pulleys-what about the dual VVTi(again more beneficial for a manual)When you want to do this you might as well prep the engine(pistons,balancing, high cams and ecu and be prepared to pull 9k revs

So, can the 3S-FE be supercharged by using BOT ? Or the internals are not strong enuff to handle the power ?

so is it means tat overhaul not really wil increase hp? change air filter?? any brand or model? header middle n exhaust system changed to? IMO the exhaust quite big liao the last time i c it.. ecu piggyback is better? or mod the ori ecu? by the way, where and how much can i do dyno for the altezza? any sifus n gurus willing to shed some light?

---------- Post added 08-01-2010 at 12:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 07-31-2010 at 11:50 PM ----------

1 more thing, those SAFC n other electronic gadget, got help?

Bro
Dyno your engine first to determine the starting point or health of the engine.
Then slowly mod or repair to increase power.
There is many ways to increase power depending on budget. if you haven't purchased the car I suggest get Manual cos many option to mod compared to auto.

Thanks

i oso wish to find a manual.. but very diff to find a manual with nice condition n fit my budget.. :( only manage to find a auto with good condition to fit in my budget.. So where can i dyno? which shop is better? and what would be the price? SAFC will improve the HP?

ok.. thanks.. by the way.. is SAFC good? i mean not jus a "pretty" gadget.. that actually works as a performance gadget?

I'm currently overhauling my 3SGE engine, working on it myself. It's a bitch. Lotsa of hoses and pipes and tubes. And it's not cheap, as the replacement parts as quite expensive. FYI the engine mounts are 10 years old and brittle and completely broke up when I took out the engine. Replacement engine mounts are Rm 350 or so each (But I got TRD ones for RM 550 each fark). Piston rings Rm 180. Top overhaul gasket set Rm 350.

From your posts it seems less about a question of overhauling, but simply that if you get yourself an Altezza you want to modify and upgrade it's power.

Toyotas are well-known for bulletproof build quality back from the 70s, and still exists today. Toyotas are the best cars in the world. TQM, the Toyota Way, etc. My engine is 220,000kms and I do about 8 track days a year, on top of lots of hard driving and 2 hrs sprints to JB. When I took it apart, it was at about 95%, still fantastic, considering the mileage and hardlife.

As for SAFC la E-manage la etc they're all different means of altering the stock factory fuelling and ignition maps. An SAFC is more or less as good as any other comparative piggy-back fuel management system. The differences lie in the interpolation and mapping points. For your simple requirements, SAFC with an ITC or any other piggyback should be good enough.

Or just get the car first, and drive it, and see how.

Have you thought about suspension and brakes?

Yes.. suspension n brakes is my concern too.. but the guy advise me uses bac trd part.. which i think wit giv my wallet a big hole..

you should have considered a lump sum on repairs "only" when considering buying a 10 yrs old car. do you expect it to be in pristine condition?

the good old rs200 is worth about rm70k only now...those above 2001 are worth a bit more

with cheap cars, comes the repair bills...but the good thing is, once repaired...blissful driving.

i am still constantly amazed by the sxe10's chassis...bloody good .....

yes.. i have consider the lump sum on repairs. of course i don expect it to be in pristine condition.. but of course i hope that the bill wont be burning off my wallet..

argami,
i hv a source with altezza's 3sge engine and 6 speed manual transmission and the necessary items for conversion..
if u need to find out more, pm me, i will link u up with my source so u can query more.

ok.. really thanks fo your help.. but was thinking of sticking wit auto for sometime... anyway.. have to wait until i get the car. hahhahah

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom