All new Toyota PRIUS c hybrid unveiled!

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Yesterday, UMW Toyota Motor showcased their line-up of hybrid vehicles in Malaysia. The Prius, now in its 3rd generation, continues to lead Toyota’s hybrid revolution. Packaged together in a luxurious and sophisticated interior and exterior, the Prius continues to impress with class leading fuel efficiency and low emissions.

Star of the show was of course the Toyota Prius c. The Prius c is said to be the new hybrid style that sets the trend for urban mobility, catering to environmentally-conscious and tech-savvy young professionals. More importantly, what you are looking at is Toyota’s response to the Honda Insight. The Prius c was teased before on Toyota’s website (estimated at RM104k), with a lot of discussion on the Internet about the pricing. However, we can confirm the price is RM97,000 OTR including insurance. It will definitely be interesting to see how the battle of the hybrids will pan out, considering how the Prius c is marketed slightly cheaper than the almost RM100k Insight.

Many folks online have asked what the ‘c’ stands for; Toyota says the third letter of the alphabet refers to the words ‘Compact’, ‘Clean’, ‘Clever’, and ‘City’. Words that make quite a lot of sense in a hybrid. At 3,995mm long and 1,695mm wide the Prius c is smaller than its bigger sibling by 485mm and 25mm respectively. It is powered by an adaption of Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD) system; made more compact to fit into the smaller frame. The 1.5-litre 1NZ-FXE mill (from the same family as the 1.5-litre VVT-i used in the Vios) runs on an Atkinson Cycle which has higher compression ratios and different valve opening/closing characteristics.

The HSD integrates the engine with an electric motor and a 144-volt nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) battery, along with a DC-DC converter, a step-up converter, and a hybrid computer to produce a total system output of 101PS and 111Nm. Decent enough numbers for a car that only weighs 1,120kgs. Its zerotohundred sprint is achieved in 10.7 seconds and Toyota claims that this is the best in its class. Three driving modes are available: Normal, ECO, and EV. ECO mode reduces overall energy consumption by prioritizing fuel economy as well as in-cabin temperature. EV (full electric) mode on the other hand, can only be used in certain conditions; relying solely on the electric motor, allowing for speeds up to 45km/h.

Aerodynamic efficiency is an important necessity in a hybrid vehicle; less energy is required to move when a car slips through the air easily. To reduce aerodynamic drag, the Prius c has a reduced ride height, ‘pagoda’ roof, a more triangular silhouette, integral rear spoiler, various aero-fins and a flush underbody to manage airflow. If you look carefully, you will notice the angular lines across all four corners of the car. Dubbed ‘aerocorners’, these lines help to smoothen airflow as it moves over different surfaces.

Standard safety kit in the Prius c is quite impressive – ABS, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Traction Control (TRC), and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) are all included as default. Brakes are ventilated discs in front, drums at rear and are optimized to work with regenerative braking. Also included are seven airbags, keyless start/stop, and cruise control.

Standard wheels are 15-inch alloys.

The Prius c: for the tech-savvy, environmentally friendly, young urban professional.

Five exterior colours are offered on the Prius c – Silver Metallic, Lime White Pearl, Black Mica, Citrus Orange Mica Metallic, and Super Red V. When you go through our pictures, you will notice a (very good looking) kitted out Prius c in an attractive red, sporting blacked out 16-inch wheels; we’re told that these add-ons are not yet available, but I suspect that when they are, most customers will have these option boxes ticked. All hybrid models sold by UMW Toyota will have a 3-year or 100,000km warranty (whichever comes first). You can check these models out in selected Toyota Showrooms in Peninsula Malaysia from 24th Feb and East Malaysia from 2nd March onwards.

Fully kitted Prius c with black 16-inch alloys in Super Red V. Mmmn...

Scroll down below for more images, or click here to view the entire album.

** This article was powered by //r3 Snapshots.
** All images are contributed by HuaiPoh and AdamRyu.

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Wah what a rip off. $21700 in Japan. in Malaysia our government gave exempt for import duty and excise taxes of hybrids. Why is the price still 46% more? UMW-Toyota big time profiteering and ripping us off. Bravo!

FYI Sales tax is only 10%

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
21700 USD ? = Assuming it is 3.00 exchange rate mean = RM65000

Add Transportation fees etc 5k total 70k
Plus 10% sale tax = 77k..

Company Profit ?
Salesman commision ?
remember they need to setup a service centre, show room, warehouse etc
any problem they need to provide warranty as well

that need to be counted
even it imported direct and maybe cheaper than $21700 for distributor,
but many factor you need to count in..
that is business calclulation markup when you need to provide support for your business

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
21700 USD ? = Assuming it is 3.00 exchange rate mean = RM65000

Add Transportation fees etc 5k total 70k
Plus 10% sale tax = 77k..

Company Profit ?
Salesman commision ?
remember they need to setup a service centre, show room, warehouse etc
any problem they need to provide warranty as well

that need to be counted
even it imported direct and maybe cheaper than $21700 for distributor,
but many factor you need to count in..
that is business calclulation markup when you need to provide support for your business
encik $21700 is SALE price in Japan, that already factored in company profit, salesman commission, 3S cost and everything. in USA the price is starting at $18950. Ship from Japan to USA worrr, USA also have salesman commission, company profit worr, also got 3S worr.. also got warranty worr, even longer warranty than Malaysia, but cheaper than Japan worrr? Japan to USA further than Japan to Malaysia right? In USA labor costs and showroom rental costs more right? how come Malaysia sell the same thing more expensive than USA?

what rooster you talking. clearly its a ripoff.

I can accept if you say car expensive because of excise duty and import tax. this is clearly profiteering. 46%!!!

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
aiaya.. you no choice lo
remember those big shot people they need to feed it off as well la

by the way. if i not mistaken
i remember brand new car selling price is not controlled by UMW but by MITI
hehehe

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
don't argue on pricing..

confirm car in Malaysia is the most expensive in the world..

end of story

:thefinger:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
The rear end looks a bit like the new myvi extreme..but it's a nice car overall..

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
expensive is one thing la.. rip off is another... if a car is expensive because of taxes and duties..the $ goes to the Customs/Government, and thats used for the country (allegedly).

if a car is expensive because of rip offs like this, its going to the pockets of some very rich people.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
if import car cheap,local car die.:biggrin:
if local car cannot compete with import car.. it will die in 5 years time also. China is going to catch up in technology..and when they do.. it will be way cheaper and won't make a difference even if you tax it.

sta

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2004
aiaya.. you no choice lo
remember those big shot people they need to feed it off as well la

by the way. if i not mistaken
i remember brand new car selling price is not controlled by UMW but by MITI
hehehe
any cheaper and it would take market share away from proton inspira

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
any cheaper and it would take market share away from proton inspira
what share? proton inspira memang cannot sell..hahahaha..

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
price is very competitive...the obvious rival will be honda insight but i think insight cant fight the prius...prius is already renowned for its reliability and popularity.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello i hope u can help me on this matter:
i want to change my manual window to a power window (satria), this one shop ask me for RM280.00 to install the power window, the shop give me up:
1.motor (both side)
2.bracket for the motor
3.wiring
4.workmanship
(door panel and switches i already have it)
is the price reasonable?
what else should i know?
like the type of bracket (good one or not so good one) how should i know which one?
and another thing is the motor is local or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience