Advise needed...TQ

kctong

Known Member
sifus,

Hi guys...need some advise here,the below is what i am using now;

HU: Pioneer P1Y
Component: Focal 130KP 5"
Amplifier: Audio Control 4 channel (Model lupa)

The problem;
Aeroplane sound
lack of bass
component i am using now cannot really bring out the Vocal
stock speaker i am using for the rear kinda like screwed up everything since pecah liao.

What i am planning to do;
Upgrade the front comps to 6.5" other brands not Focal (cos tweets too bright/sharp)
Current comps transfer to the back
Get another 2 channel amp
Get a 10" sub or maybe 8" but place it below my center console (KENARI)

ehh....dat's about it la...what do u guys recommend? please advise on the brand and pricing
also is there another way to upgrade the system except from what i am planning to do? oh yeah..
i listen to mainly lagu cina and also oldies and R&B. Many many TQ in advance.

1. Aeroplane sound is most likely be your cabling. Check your RCA and power cable shouldnt run together, then check your grounding from battery to amp.

2. Focal has good mid bass and yes tweest are bright. What you can do is place the tweeter far away from your ear, kick panel is a good idea or place it near your mid bass.

3. Why you want to tranfer com to the back??? it will screw your staging and i bet you wouldnt like to hear ppl singing on your back rahter than the front.

4. if you say lack of bass and cant really bring out vocal i bet its your tuning not your equipment. your equipment is fine you just need to tune it porperly. And dont hope for your mid to play sub bass... of course you feel lack of bass because you dont have sub and think that your mid will play sub bass which it could not.

5. Get a proper sub. why want to go 8" or 10" when you can go 12" or 15". Low freq. need large cone area to play properly. So the bigger the sub the better it play low freq. with the same SPL. Oldies and R&B has lots of low freq. bass.

6. Get a dedicated amp for the sub. Go ported if you really want low bass.

appleyard said:
3. Why you want to tranfer com to the back??? it will screw your staging and i bet you wouldnt like to hear ppl singing on your back rahter than the front.

bro,

i have both comp set front and behind .. suggested by the salesman, both sets are MB QUART DSD 216. that time around, bout 5 months ago, am still a noob, over excited (price including installation is RM900 for both sets, don't know how to check original or not, so far no prob, hantam kuat² with my old sony HU also no prob, yet hehe) ..

then, i went around to scout for a HU (am using an old sony xplod HU, entry level) then this other salesman said that for rear must always use 3 way speakers, never use the comp set .. betul ka? and how to check my MB QUART ori or not? no autocraft sticker for sure, but everything else that should come in the box, is in there .. damn!

Thanks appleyard,

With all that advise, do you mean i should go for a proper tune-up 1st before i proceed on the blind-purchase? and if yes...about the tweeter part, i have already korek the lubang in the A-pillar, and it will look ugly if i actually take the tweets out and place it elsewhere what do u advise? any other option?

On to the sub..i opt for a 8" and 10" due to space constraint but 10" was my 1st choice till i recently planned to get a 8" and install below the center console...just another question if the placement of the sub is in front rather than @ the back will it affect the staging?

Back to the comps, i have heard that a 6.5" mid provides better Midbass &Vocals than a 5". Is it true? And if yes do they sell 6.5" mid for FOCAL seperately?

Sorry for the long winded questions, i really need lotta advise from you guys cos they have been too much spending and too little satisfaction. Thanks! :_:

As I know, Audio Control did not make any amp or speaker... they only produce EQ, Line Drive & Electronic Crossover.. My ??? here.. are sure your amp is Audio Control or else..

Focal is good speaker & need to pair with warm amp like Audio System, Steg, Audison, Sinfoni & also need pure cooper speaker cable to turn down the brightnes.. Focal comp set very good for certain music like Jazz, Ballad, Country song.. for R&B, Rock & Dance music you need model/series can play below than 70hz without distorted.. For 5' mid, I'm sure that not Mid Bass but it is Mid Range.. that why lack of bass.. I'm using Focal Utopia 165W before.. Voice it very nice & excellent, no doubt about it ...

If you are really want to change to 6' & above mid & keep it the tweeter, I would suggets you try Scanspeak Mid.. coz the cost for Focal Midbass & Scanspeak Midbass not much diff.. & Scanspeak much better than Focal midbass..

For sub I will go for 10' DVC 2+2Ohm due to limited of boot space...

I agree with oldskolboys that focal speakers prefers warm amps to drive them and they will definitely sound better.Anyway, check whether your Focal speakers are original. Most fake component speakers usually have very bright tweeters and 'noisy' (unclean signal) music production no matter how u tune it. By the way, aeroplane sound could be due to improper grounding, loose cabling/connections and other improper installation fault. Get a reputable installer to check.

You have a good HU but I suspect that your amp, Audio Control is 'cap ayam' in agreement with oldskolboyz.Never heard that Audio control manufactures amp too. That can also be one of the reason for giving u less than satisfactory results. Based on my experience, Focal speakers do emits good vocal production relatively. The placement of the SW shouldn't be a big issue as bass production (low signals) tend to be non-directional unlike the high and mid-range frequencies. Just some of my humble opinions.

lake315 said:
bro,

i have both comp set front and behind .. suggested by the salesman, both sets are MB QUART DSD 216. that time around, bout 5 months ago, am still a noob, over excited (price including installation is RM900 for both sets, don't know how to check original or not, so far no prob, hantam kuat² with my old sony HU also no prob, yet hehe) ..

then, i went around to scout for a HU (am using an old sony xplod HU, entry level) then this other salesman said that for rear must always use 3 way speakers, never use the comp set .. betul ka? and how to check my MB QUART ori or not? no autocraft sticker for sure, but everything else that should come in the box, is in there .. damn!

Just my advice, either Ori or fake.. just used it coz money oledi change hand.. For me they did not try to Con you laa.. just give his opinion for basic set-up, somemore you dont have Sub woofer.. if you have Sub woofer than others story loorr..

If I'm that salesman, I would suggest you add 1pc Sub + 2ch amp rather than change rear comp to 3way speaker... they suggest you 3way speaker just want U spend more money for your ICE.. that always happen at Accesories Shop.. after U change 3way speaker, they ask you to add Sub woofer & etc laaa... THAT THEIR TRICK TO US... but this not happen at High End Shop coz they put more passion rather than profit.. Why dont U check price either Amp or Comp set at High Shop & Accessories Shop but make sure the comparison must same brand & model/series.. I sure at Accessories Shop price higher than High End Shop..

firstly id stay away from those 2 shops u mentioned, they appear not to be very knowledgable in sq. 2ndly i would get a warm 4ch amp like audison, steg or audio control, can check out used amps for sale in other forums too. u can still use your current 130kp speakers with his amp, and then get a 10" sub in a small box for under your console. focal also has a nice 9" sub and u can use a small 0.9 cu ft box, great up front bass, cant wait to hear it.

btw audio control did have a line of amps long long time ago, and may also be the source of your aeroplane sound since its so old (something may be loose), unless it is the amp grounding, or bad rca cables, etc etc lah.

Thank you guys,

First of all let me clarify that both of the Audio Control and Focal are original, bought it from Mormarks (If i am not mistaken the importer) so i don't think they will be selling or distributing fakes Focal kwa???

Anyway i know that Audio Control made amps very long ago and the amps in the market now are all datuk story liao, so i guess what Zenn said might be correct on the plane sound.

Zenn taiko,

If i am not wrong you are the owner of the Jazz right? Demo it before in KF Audio Jln Ipoh...great SQ. Oh yeah just wondering, will you be in KF @ Aman suria? Need to get more advise from you if you don't mind the trouble. :_:

sifus-sifus,

Ermm....if it is this way, will changing my amp to a better or waddaya call warmer amp brings out the original performance of my current speakers?

Phew...all this ICE really bring headache ler....wanna upgrade oso so susah...not like performance upgrade...car slow....change engine....anyway love to hear more advise and thanks alot.

P/S: anyone of you want the audio control amp ar??? superb piece of classic amp. hehehehe. J/king!

aeroplane sound gotta check your wiring ...

your 5" suppose can produce vocal out ...
if feed with enought power, it can also whack out midbass, but 5" it more meantly for vocal ...

tweeter brightness, if u want to maintain the amp, u gotta set the position of the tweeter ...
if u wanna change amp, might as well try around with warm amps for Focal

if still cannot, change your front comp :P
this is what i am gonna do since i failed to find a amp to match it
(within my budget... hehe)

okies....i think the next thing that i am going to do is reroute the wiring of my amp...since it is a 4 channel...and 2 is powering the front comps and another 2 powering the back...i think i might as well bridge 2 to 1 and then power the front comps only and leave the back to be powered by the HU....will that be ok ka? at least give the front comps more power....advise please... :)

kctong if u wanna go aman suria send me an email first [email protected] so i will come over, i wont be there everyday anymore starting june

Zenn,

eh....e-mail seems to be quite....i am lazy to check mail ler...hehehehe....can PM me your contact ar...then when i wanna come over i will give you a call see if you are there or not lo..can a? TQ TQ!

kctong said:
Zenn,

eh....e-mail seems to be quite....i am lazy to check mail ler...hehehehe....can PM me your contact ar...then when i wanna come over i will give you a call see if you are there or not lo..can a? TQ TQ!

We are having an ICE TT in Taman Desa DDP foodcourt this coming Friday night.
Pls join us if you do wish.

pisces23,

Thanks for da invite bro...but where is tmn desa DDP food court ar??? another thing...got astro there ar??? you know la...demam bola... :) oh yeah...what time ar? TQ TQ.

Usually the TT is from 8.30 pm until Soong Bee leaves. Correct or not Piesces? He! He! He!

Soong Bee???.....the one in most of the hong kong "ku wak chai" movie ar? hehe.
Anyway just found out some info on my datuk amp. So here's another question.

The AC Amp model that i have is System90 Model50 4 x 50wrms, it can be bridge to 2 channel with each channel having 150wrms after the bridge. Since the comps that i am having now and according to the Manufacturer it can handle a maximum of 140watts, so will it be like "tergoreng" after i power it up with the 150wrms??
Advise please.. TQ TQ.

kctong said:
Soong Bee???.....the one in most of the hong kong "ku wak chai" movie ar? hehe.
Anyway just found out some info on my datuk amp. So here's another question.

The AC Amp model that i have is System90 Model50 4 x 50wrms, it can be bridge to 2 channel with each channel having 150wrms after the bridge. Since the comps that i am having now and according to the Manufacturer it can handle a maximum of 140watts, so will it be like "tergoreng" after i power it up with the 150wrms??
Advise please.. TQ TQ.

Shouldn't be a problem but becareful with the gain settings. Come to the TT and our carhifi group sifus and all the taikos will definitely show you the light.:regular_smile:

Top Bottom