2011 F12 - BMW brings the sexy 6 back. Now available in Malaysia

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Drop-top premium motoring has just had its bar raised following BMW Malaysia’s unveiling of the new 6 Series Convertible today. The leftfield move here is that instead offering the fixed-roof version first, the German automaker has opted to introduce the rag-top version first which will then be followed by the fixed-roof version.

“There is arguably nothing more evocative in the world of automobile design than a long and lean convertible, which strongly implies a powerful sports car with an optional roof capable of delivering long distance travel in luxury and style. The all new BMW 6 Series Convertible truly delivers on that promise in every way, setting segment-defining standards in terms of aesthetics, driving dynamics, efficiency and comfort” said Geoff Briscoe, Managing Director of BMW Group Malaysia.

The exterior of the new 6 Series is longer and wider than its predecessor but the added girth has been well camouflaged by the rearward sweeping lines and sleeker silhouette. Headlining the front façade would be the trademark BMW corona rings daytime running lights.

From an exterior standpoint, the new BMW 6 Series Convertible at 4.89 metres in length represents a seven centimetre increase over its predecessor, which is almost matched by the increase in wheelbase dimensions. Not that this increase in size translates to a bulkier look though, as this premium convertible comes replete with the trademark BMW kidney grille, distinctively contoured hood and muscular curves which evoke the natural grace of a wave, underlining its athletic stance.

Codenamed the F12, the 6 Series Convertible makes do with a rag top instead of a folding metal roof like its smaller cousin, the Z4. Furthermore, BMW Malaysia will only have one variant on its order forms, the 640i, that is motivated by the venerable 3-liter turbocharged straight-six with Valvetronic. Power figures come in at a respectable 320hp and 450Nm of torque.

Ensuring the seamless transfer of all that power to the rear wheels is BMW’s flagship eight-speed automatic transmission that is given a sportier feel to it. Paddle shifters complete the cog-swapping experience that sees the topless grand tourer rocket to the century mark in just 5.7-seconds and onto a restricted top speed of 250km/h.

As with all BMW offerings in the country, the 640i will come with BMW’s EfficientDynamics that includes Start/Stop tech and regenerative braking. The usual array of driver aids are available as well, including Driving Dynamic Control and Integral Active Steering. The active steering is a form of four-wheel steering that helps this luxo-barge be more agile and maneuverable.

One of the biggest problems with coupes is that the rear seats are always only compliant for contortionists or those below four feet. Fortunately, the 640i’s rear seats actually look decent enough for average-sized adults with sufficient legroom, even though the car is officially labeled a 2+2 seater.

Highlighting the driver-focused dashboard is the 10.2-inch display for the iDrive, navigation system and BMW’s ConnectedDrive that eases the integration of external media devices to the car’s head unit. Furthermore, web browsing is possible with thi screen as well. Being the brand’s flagship grand tourer, the car comes with some nifty gadgets such as Head-Up Display and Night Vision. View for the latter is displayed on the screen after it has gone through the night-vision mode.

The interior features leather upholstery with SunReflective tech that reduces heat absorption when the top is dropped. Even the air-conditioning comes with a specific mode to be used when the roof is down. Being of gargantuan size, the boot space benefits with 350-liters of space when the roof’s down, enough for two golf bags according to BMW.

As expected, that wind-in-the-hair feeling with a premium touch does not come without some serious coin. The 640i is priced at RM868,800 (OTR w/o insurance but inclusive of BMW Service + Repair).

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
Re: BMW brings the sexy 6 back

good job on covering the event, loving the 6 series, though its gonna be a lifetime to buy it

zenom

Known Member
Dec 17, 2006
868k . damn . i ' ll be very very respect anybody who buy this car instead of two GTRs .

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, i'm planing to buy a MCS(recond). Wat should i take caution bout this car (interior, exterior & engine)? Should i send into Puspacom or BMW workshop?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience