120Y Old School

kandiahzrulz

Dec 9, 2004
hi guys..i'm new..really really a new member.

I'm having a Datsun 120y ( 1976 ) old or wat.i really dun't know the specs.Enjin ori...so is the body.PLan to modify.Like tyre's (wanna put 17inches ) and spoilers and body kit,rims..any idea ?

The car is so old once it touches 100 (mph or kph..never really bothered reading the small letter)....well the stering susah wana control and car starts shakin...vibratin..enjin noise all come out scary..

So any one with a 120Y wanna share sum experience and tips ?

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
as for the steering vibrating
that is cause by inbalance tyre or dented rims
need to bring to tyre shops and get it done
also need a tyre alignment done so you dont swirl to the left and right
as i suggest , before touching anything for interior
we need to get a checkout at a workshop
usually they do it with free KOPI AIS is he is ur fren
or just go back to your usual mechanic
get the beltings checked to see if the its time go change
if beltings putus say RIP to engine :)
also need to get moutings of the engine check , can cause vibrating during high speed also ma,
bearings , its Old School , bearings are wear and tear also ma.

so its
- rims & tyres balancing
- engine checkup
- beltings
- mountings
- bearings

kandiahzrulz

Dec 9, 2004
timing all okie..checked...maybe allignment..and balancing..thanks..anything bout the engine ?

guest18

Known Member
Jul 4, 2004
how much you willing to spend ...

first I think the body need some touch up
then better change engine

and please dont 17 inch rim ...
15 or 16 is more than enought
17 just reduce the performance
look ahbeng too ...

shenster

Jun 12, 2004
the car so old liao..dun simply simply put 17's woh..engine rosak cepat le lidat.. 15 or 16 is already..like said earlier..enough lo

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
120y can reach 100kmh? (not to mention mph)
amazing...i once drove a old honda and i cant even hit 90

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
i tink he meant km la bro :)
he is my housemate , just got car craze hehe

chek_corolla

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
does that car involve in any accident before? major or minor?
since it is so old, the first good thing to do is check the body allignment. if financially allow, strip the car first before u wan to do some crazy modification. if possible u can try to look up in internet, cos in taiwan alot of ppl playin this 120Y.

if i were u, i will look for 15" deep dish banana rim. it gonna look better since banana rim n 120Y are from the same era. try to restore to the original condition is already a big enuf project......lolz.......

WAJA2003

Nov 14, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
120Y is round light or squaelight???
put 14"banana rim is perfect lahhh...
Then transplat soem engine inside then can play drift also mahh..

kandiahzrulz

Dec 9, 2004
umm..banana rims..well the rims i have are the original..no major accident..minor aso very kurang..since i've been driving..no accident (touch wood) :P ..

the front lights are round.backside is oval shape like not boxy...

well yes can reach 100 kph....then start shakin..dun play play...feelin damm proud...

i will try to post up pictures of my car as soon as possible.Currently trying to repair exterior.

If u people see a bright green car zooming in and out to these places thats me lor
-brickfields
-bangsar
-pj (all sections)
-puchong
-old klang road
-oug
-low yat

starwing

Known Member
May 15, 2004
Visit site
I saw one 120Y this evening on the way back from LDP, at the puchong toll, i was making U turn.

Red caler, got dunno what meter inside the car, maybe defi(?). Nice exhaust, looks like apexi megaphone.

Body, fui yoh .. At first I look at body I already dowan to layan the felle, until i saw the meter. Dun play man ..

kandiahzrulz

Dec 9, 2004
kedai potong and spare part shops...any idea ? the best ones and nearest to my residential area (klang lama) -- some fuker stole the front potion of my grill...logo 'datsun 120y' onli one side got.

a shop in PJ charging me 2k++ for welding ,knocking,painting ( one colour ) -- 3 weeks job..near campbell soup factory.Also near DunLop factory..(OLD TOWN).Worth it ?

Burzum

Jun 8, 2004
Oii kandiahzrulz, 17" rims on stock engine?...u 'gila' kah?...later your car cannot move & the steering feels damn heavy lah.

I drive the same batch old school car also...its a 2 doors type, stock 1400cc engine(20year workhorse) & still going strong up to 130kmh...but the body/handling very light like 'melayang' lorr.
Its a low maintanance car, OHV engine - no timing belt to snap & long lifespan.

In my opinion, u can slightly modify it(stage 1) by :
1) Change to Vannette c22, 1.5cc engine.
2) Install open-pod K&N filter & a straight flow muffler.
3) Handling improvement : change to 14" lightweight 2-piece deep dish Japan's sport rim(many options available at Klang) + good tyres, lowered a bit by cutting 1 round of the spring, stabilizer bars & modify the brake master pump to Wira type & then go drifting at the corners...hehe

All the above mods shall give a noticeable improvement on your old stock car.
Although its an old car but I still like the feels it goes in cornering compare to any FWD cars.

sixtythree

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
My mech own a nicely done 120y. with 4AGE, all round disc oso.Quite fast that car.
I've shown my interest on buying the car but 'NOT FOR SALE AT THE MOMENT' he said....=(

ECKP (spnt)

Aug 3, 2004
i'm finding a datsun 120y here ! haha ..
i'm planing to do wide body ...and some modification ..
SR20DET will be the new heart ! hehe....
one i get the car , i will start my project end of next year....

cheer ~~~~ haha