WTA: Tyre Opinions 17" (noob)

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
Hey guys need your opinions & advice!

Im currently on 205/40/r17 Toyo T1R and need to change asap due to thread wear left like 5%? LOL! Im literally driving around on slicks haha.

I've been looking through the threads here but still can't make up my mind on my next set. Seems like Hankook V12, PS3, GY F1 Asy2, T1S etc etc are currently the popular choices. P/S T1Rs are the only tyres I have ever tried but I absolutely love 'em.

I only get my tires from Kedai Papan. Current set have lasted me only 1 1/2 years - last time the uncle there sold it to me for was RM370/piece, not sure how much it costs now since I heard prices have gone up considerably. Btw, I personally asked the uncle at Kedai Papan back then about which tyres he would recommend for my size and he said T1Rs are the best bang for the buck (I wanted to try CSC3 frm friend's good feedback) and so I continued to stick with it. And now its even more difficult to make a decision when users here have raved on 595, PS3, V12, Asy2!

What do you guys think? I am most inclined to stick with T1Rs since under hard cornering I have never heard my Toyos screech (or maybe my balls aint big enough lol), rain grip is pretty decent(at least it satisfies me) so that makes it pretty safe during our monsoon rains but the only problem is T1Rs cepat makan on the side (seriously camber, alignment, rotate must be checked every 1-2 months or so if not you'd end up like me bloody pissed) and popular feedback that side wall is too soft.

Price is defo a factor so its gotta be priced around what I normally pay for.

Another question is should i try 215/40/r17 instead of my current 205 (17x7)? Would the benefits (if any) justify the additional price for it?

Would love to hear from u guys. Safest bet is that i stick with my T1Rs lol (i think of it like getting a haircut - never go try out new hair salon/stylists or you'd be f**ked lol.).

P/S I don't care for noise/comfort. Most important is grip and its safe.

Last edited:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Goodyear Asy 2 is a good tyre, this is wat i heard and see from forums..U shud gv it a try..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Cannot use GY Asy2 because if not mistaken the smallest size is 215/45R17. For tyres, PS3 are good, and V12Evo are close behind. Some one posted T1-R currently at RM420 for 205/40R17.
If want to use 215/40R17 you have to calculated from your Original tyre size to keep it within 3% in overall diameter. Check your rear wheel arch for clearance and front wheel for full turn of the steering. 215/40 have bigger diameter and are wider.

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks guys. Will be heading to kedai papan today to sort out my tyres.

My options prolly d new Asy 2 or stick with T1R. Will defo ask d guy to try put 215 n c how tht works out too.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Update:

Just got back frm Kedai Papan aka Hin Leong. Only managed to change 2 pcs of T1Rs because they ran out of stock. D uncle said that new stock will arrive on d 8th so im heading back thr again.

vr2 bro, i tried 45 series T1R n it doesnt fit well. Cant turn d steering full. Tried it coz 205/40 only left 2 pieces whilst 205/45 got stock (2012 manufacturing date).

Interestingly enough, i asked for Asy2 but d uncle said that since d beginning of this year there have not been any new stock in the market so they have not carried any Asy2 for quite some time. I guess I am just gonna stick with d trusty T1Rs. May go for 215 on d rear when stock arrives on d 8th.

As of May 5 2012,
Toyo T1R
205/40/r17 = RM420/pc (new stock arriving on 8th May)
205/45/r17 = RM430/pc (2012 manufacturing date)

GY F1 Asy 2 = No stock till the forseeable future (since early this year)

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If 215 do not fit well, no point fitting to the rears then you cannot rotate in future. Better stick to 4 of the same size....

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
After going through d threads i feel kinda sad my ride cant fit 45 so there goes Asy2 out d window lol.

I didnt try 215 tho (no stock), only 205/45. But was kinda thinking that since my rear x makan as fast as the front, maybe i should use 215 on rear and when d front dah makan i just need to change the front. So i end up saving money? LOL. But even that would require front camber + alignment to be cun all d time for even wear - which is most unlikely lol.Hmm..but then again...if tire pressure lari on d rear n causes it to wear unevenly i would end up f**ked anyhow lol. 205 all round would make more sense. Maybe i should keep it simple instead of trying too hard lol.

Btw, bro could u recommend a noteworthy place where i can get camber adjustments done? In my experience, i have never ever came across a tyre shop that does a good job at adjusting camber, alignment n balancing or beng honest for tht matter. Most just tipu duit for half past six work (i.e. charge rm45/side for camber but end up realizing the tyres dont wear evenly (end up tire wear like this \\ // - outside wall makan habis while inside grooves damn thick -.-"), rm40/side off wheel balancing but dont feel any difference). Sien.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
There are a few recommendations that I read from the forum. Kee Hin in Old Klang Road in one. I do my alignment in Weng Tat, Subang

A Post Every 5 Mins

Dear Sifu's,

Need help. My car originaly equipped with this AFC Neo but unfortunately somebody had played with it and mistakenly car cannot start :banghead:. Then try to find the function and I reset it (initialized). Then I manage to start my car :thefinger:. But I don't have the time to do the tuning yet for the time being. If I set the correction for the Air Map OFF, will it damage my engine slowly? Please advise anybody! :stupid:
Thank you in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience