WTA: Ford TX3 4-Pot Caliper Brakes Upgrade

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
Hi all,

i would like to know what items (calipers, knuckles, rotors, etc) i will need to upgrade my Ford Laser TX3 1991(sampan) brakes to 4-pot calipers. anyone with any experience please do share more comprehensive details.

only RX7 calipers can be used? how about evo 4-pot calipers? im really willing to invest some money to upgrade my brakes, it really sucks!

please advise :itsme:

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
as what usually i see, mostly the rx7 4 pots are used. and also 4 pots from nissan (s14 i think). in these upgrades, a mounting bracket needs to be fabricated.

lately i heard that the brembo's from evo 456 can be used.

in a international forum, there is a forumner whom retrofited a twin pot from a subaru legacy. but it looks a bit complicated though.

currently i'm using brakes from lantis v6. may not as grip as the 4 pots, but it feels more or less similar with vr4/evo twinpots. lantis v6 brakes are plug and play for BG-thats the nice part of it.

ml323f

Known Member
Mar 29, 2005
there are few choices but seems Nissan RB20 is more common probably Rx7 is harder to get. I am using RB20 4 pot.

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Bros, RB20's calipers; are they easily be fitted? I feel that my brakes sucks too.

How about the pump? Anything can be done?

Bump: Bros, RB20's calipers; are they easily be fitted? I feel that my brakes sucks too.

How about the pump? Anything can be done?

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
there are few choices but seems Nissan RB20 is more common probably Rx7 is harder to get. I am using RB20 4 pot.
this is the exact info i'm looking for :proud:

so what were the items from RB20 that you required?
what were the addtional stuff needed? (e.g. brakets, knuckle modifications, etc)
what was the total cost?
which workshop did u do this upgrade with?
any braking improvement?

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE

what were the addtional stuff needed? (e.g. brakets, knuckle modifications, etc)
what was the total cost?
any braking improvement?

I am looking forward to this too bro...

This is gonna be interesting...

New life for my old brakes...

Bump:

what was the total cost?
any braking improvement?

I am looking forward to this too bro...

This is gonna be interesting...

New life for my old brakes...

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
another question, did you use back the 4 lug knuckles?

can the RB20 rotors and calipers be used with the standard Ford Laser TX3 4 lug knuckles?

i know brackets will defnitely be required, i just don't want to change the knuckles if possible..

Bump:
another question, did you use back the 4 lug knuckles?

can the RB20 rotors and calipers be used with the standard Ford Laser TX3 4 lug knuckles?

i know brackets will defnitely be required, i just don't want to change the knuckles if possible..

ml323f

Known Member
Mar 29, 2005
hi,

usually it come in a set, caliper and disc.

Since i am already using V6 5 lugs knuckles then all i need are the RB20 caliper and disc as well as custom made bracket.

both parts and labour abt RM1.6k.

ya, i also changed the brake host to braided hose. just make sure u r using double layer brake servo and a good brake pads.

izrail77

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
from my experience....
RX7 FD will be good plug and play upgrade for brake master pump and servo.
For the front brake, use GTO 315mm disc coupled with R32 caliper with custom bracket.
Use LantisV6 knuckle for PCD114.3 or machine 4x100 hole on disc to retain std TX3 PCD.

AM

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
from my experience....
RX7 FD will be good plug and play upgrade for brake master pump and servo.
For the front brake, use GTO 315mm disc coupled with R32 caliper with custom bracket.
Use LantisV6 knuckle for PCD114.3 or machine 4x100 hole on disc to retain std TX3 PCD.

AM
thanks for you advise! just to clarify, does this mean i can still use back my TX3 knuckles? i definitely will machine my disc to 4 lugs PCD 100. just want to know if my TX3 knuckles can fit in the RB20 rotors.

i'm going to begin this project next week hopefully. gonna buy RB20 calipers with 280mm rotors... GTO rotors n RB32 caliper are much too high priced for me...

will try to source for a double layer brake servo, i'm not sure if my TX3 is already using double layer...

izrail77

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
Hows RB20 caliper holder location? If U sure no interference with current hole on knuckle when fitted with 280mm disc, then proceed straight away bro....
OF course u can use back TX3 knuckle....they are basically the same....except for the 5 lugs of
the V6.

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
Hows RB20 caliper holder location? If U sure no interference with current hole on knuckle when fitted with 280mm disc, then proceed straight away bro....
OF course u can use back TX3 knuckle....they are basically the same....except for the 5 lugs of
the V6.
icic, ok thanks for the explanation. i'll be going to a shop to measure the holder location, see if it clears the rotors and my rims.

one of my frens has a rotor and caliper for me to use for measurements. hopefully everything clears well...

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
my mazda BF now fitted with Nissan Fairlady Z32 caliper n disc.
hv to do some on d bracket n few more stuff..
hope this pic wud help..
wow, thanks bro! beautifully done! plus u sprayed MAZDA on the calipers :adore:

is that a blue spacer u put in? so you are using wut dimension rims? 17"/7.5"? the rotor size?

Last edited:

dc_rock

Known Member
Nov 19, 2006
my friend did a measurement with RB20 rotors and calipers for my stock knuckles, the disc depth is too deep. if i use spacer, my rims will stick out of the fender... now considering to use RX7 FC calipers since it's relatively easier to mod onto stock knuckles...

sad thing is my everyday driving car got into a minor accident, so currently not tat much cash to burn yet... but i'm still interested to doing this project sometime next month...:driver:

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Aiks, sad to hear that bro, please update us once you got your project running again... :wavey:

Bump: Aiks, sad to hear that bro, please update us once you got your project running again... :wavey:

M@X

Jan 1, 2004
what is cost for upgrade to 4 pot? how about rear one? 2pot? and how much?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We all know what the new Lancia Stratos has to live up to and we’ve all seen the shots but deep down inside you just had to see it whipped around a track before you can actually sleep well at night and now there’s a short video roll of the car going around a track.

The video itself is narrated by Michael Stoschek, albeit in German, the German...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience