WRX Type RA vs WRX STi

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching and getting a GC8 Impreza.. and I was wondering.. what's the difference between the Type RA and the STi? As far as the engine goes, they both put out 280hp (catalog) although I think the STi has the red intake manifold and the Type RA doesn't (not too sure)

Can anyone help me with this? I know the STi is better (and more expensive) and if the performance gap is minimal, I think I'll consider getting the Type RA instead of the STi.. I'm planning to use it for a few years after getting married (dunno when that's gonna be) and while I may have a crave for a rush, I'm not the racer type (at least not on public roads - the track is a whole different story)

Cheers..

Andy Ng

Known Member
Mar 1, 2004
Puchong
WRX - standard base model WRX for normal market
WRX Type RA - "Race Altered" WRX stripped of many luxuries as base model for building rally car
WRX STI - WRX modded by Subaru Technica International for better performance
WRX STI Type RA - "Race Altered" WRX STI stripped of many luxuries as STI base model for building rally car

Usually (not always) the Type RA lacks radio, aircond, power windows, soundproofing, body kits, etc...all the things not necessary for a race car - and also lighter

most RAs that make it to Malaysia would have already have these luxury items added back to make it more sellable...

STI models usually have higher power and torque, higher final drive and shorter gear ratios, maybe some extra performance bits from STI. for road car, go for STI models if you can stretch your budget a bit...

some RAs may come with strengthened gearbox...

but all this info is not for sure, because subaru always has many variations in models and specs...

check this out...

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up.. most of the RA models in Japan usually come with A/C and radio.. although they usually lack ABS (I don't need it anyway) and power windows aren't that important in my case.. what I do need is the reinforced gearbox (in case I need to raise the boost level a little :P )

I'll be getting one sometime before winter (if I can raise enough money) or early next year.. thanks for the advice about the STi as a road going car instead of the RA..

sigh.. the 180SX is a nice car, but it's not going to be just me and my gf forever..

khairiaz

Known Member
Jan 21, 2006
andy, thanks for the info. helps a lot.

chipstar

Known Member
Aug 11, 2005
kl
alo mizuchi baik beli sti la kang nyesal lak.i bought heisei 5 wrx ra power overall ok la but i heard from my friend-sempai kyusyu sti better la all aspect.impreza way power la compare to 180sx but stiff.180 handling way better la heres my pic of my last rex.also better buy kouki later want to tukar kouki have to spend byk duit like me.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/zaisang5/workship_20-img600x226-1145194754no.jpg