White smoke!

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

vogelspinnen

From Facebook
Mar 8, 2010
Hi guys, this is my first post here, and hope you guys can help me out with something.

I am currently running a 4G18 with a TD04, recently having the problem of having LOTS of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. Below are the details:

No white smoke during cold start
With one person in car and AC off, minimal white smoke
With many people in car or with AC on (under load) car smokes A LOT. This happens under normal driving conditions, light on throttle, barely boosting
Also noticed then when I boost hard for a while, most of the white smoke seems to clear up.
Pulled out PCV valve and crankcase breather to check before, no white smoke. Removed engine oil cap, there's white smoke, but not a lot. But very hard to pinpoint, because everytime by the time I stop the car somewhere, pop bonnet and pull of the PCV pipe, my exhaust no more white smoke coming out. It usually just smokes when driving and for 30 seconds or so when I stop my car.

What I learnt that it could be the turbo, pistons, piston rings, or valve seals. So my question is, how should I go about checking them, and in which order? Because budget quite limited now, don't want to tear up my engine only to find there is no fault there.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Oh and one more point, my CEL comes on after about 10 secs of continuous full boosting. And the car jerks rather violently sometimes at partial throttle

[email protected]

Known Member
Mar 1, 2009
i'm no expert at this, but i've seen this issue before and it is most likely oil leaking into the turbo, best thing to do is get it checked at a garage, even if they don't do the repair its better to get a professionals point of view on the matter... as far as i know the reason the smoke isn't appearing on a cold start is due to the fact the oil is burning yet... so yer the only thing i can really say is get it checked as soon as possible because this can become an expensive problem if not corrected straight away... hope this helps

bebolagalas T

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2007
i'm no expert at this, but i've seen this issue before and it is most likely oil leaking into the turbo, best thing to do is get it checked at a garage, even if they don't do the repair its better to get a professionals point of view on the matter... as far as i know the reason the smoke isn't appearing on a cold start is due to the fact the oil is burning yet... so yer the only thing i can really say is get it checked as soon as possible because this can become an expensive problem if not corrected straight away... hope this helps
I agree just check your turbo with ur foreman..if turbo leaking we can see the oil inside the housing..

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi guys, this is my first post here, and hope you guys can help me out with something.

I am currently running a 4G18 with a TD04, recently having the problem of having LOTS of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. Below are the details:

No white smoke during cold start
With one person in car and AC off, minimal white smoke
With many people in car or with AC on (under load) car smokes A LOT. This happens under normal driving conditions, light on throttle, barely boosting
Also noticed then when I boost hard for a while, most of the white smoke seems to clear up.
Pulled out PCV valve and crankcase breather to check before, no white smoke. Removed engine oil cap, there's white smoke, but not a lot. But very hard to pinpoint, because everytime by the time I stop the car somewhere, pop bonnet and pull of the PCV pipe, my exhaust no more white smoke coming out. It usually just smokes when driving and for 30 seconds or so when I stop my car.

What I learnt that it could be the turbo, pistons, piston rings, or valve seals. So my question is, how should I go about checking them, and in which order? Because budget quite limited now, don't want to tear up my engine only to find there is no fault there.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Oh and one more point, my CEL comes on after about 10 secs of continuous full boosting. And the car jerks rather violently sometimes at partial throttle

Open the one of the Intercooler piping hose. Esspecially the bottoms. See if there is any oil inside the piping. This can be done urself right.

IF no oil stain traced, then try remove the turbo. Direct the MAF(If ur car is using MAF) to the Throttlebody and iddle. Try rev rev abit. If no white smoke after that, then confirm Turbo kong.

Pistons and rings, normally will see the white smoke even at idle. And the increment of smoke when driving/revving seems quite constant. Smooth increment.

Agreed.

nezumi

Jun 18, 2007
daiichi-ketsui.com
^^^ plus do a compression test while ur at it... just to be sure...

vogelspinnen

From Facebook
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the advices guys. I pulled out my IC pipe, touch around inside the intercooler and the pipe, no oil as far as I can see. Just very slight black soot. And one more update, the air breather connected to my crankcase breather is releasing white smoke too. Really dunno which is which now. Anyways going to get my car checked tomorrow. Will be asking my mech to check the turbo first, before I commence to tia my engine.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for the advices guys. I pulled out my IC pipe, touch around inside the intercooler and the pipe, no oil as far as I can see. Just very slight black soot. And one more update, the air breather connected to my crankcase breather is releasing white smoke too. Really dunno which is which now. Anyways going to get my car checked tomorrow. Will be asking my mech to check the turbo first, before I commence to tia my engine.
Well, let say if ur turbo is in fine condition, n ur compression test does not indicate any pistons/ring compression leakage... It's time for top overhaul. Best with viton seals for better heat resistance. Lolz. Good luck bradder...

dewabantura

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
make sure you do both wet and dry compression test. It can indicate either the problem is caused by your block, pistons or heads.

vogelspinnen

From Facebook
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for all the replies guys! Went workshop check, indeed turbo fault. Change new turbo, then got into a small incident where my air filter got partially crushed. After driving for a while, white smoke came back AGAIN. Changed air filter then got a bit better, but now pouring out lots of white smoke again. Does anyone know if a blocked or crushed air filter cause turbo damage?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Thanks for all the replies guys! Went workshop check, indeed turbo fault. Change new turbo, then got into a small incident where my air filter got partially crushed. After driving for a while, white smoke came back AGAIN. Changed air filter then got a bit better, but now pouring out lots of white smoke again. Does anyone know if a blocked or crushed air filter cause turbo damage? Oh and when I boost hard the white smoke reduces quite significantly, usually is when relax driving then stop at traffic light can see lots of white smoke.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for all the replies guys! Went workshop check, indeed turbo fault. Change new turbo, then got into a small incident where my air filter got partially crushed. After driving for a while, white smoke came back AGAIN. Changed air filter then got a bit better, but now pouring out lots of white smoke again. Does anyone know if a blocked or crushed air filter cause turbo damage?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Thanks for all the replies guys! Went workshop check, indeed turbo fault. Change new turbo, then got into a small incident where my air filter got partially crushed. After driving for a while, white smoke came back AGAIN. Changed air filter then got a bit better, but now pouring out lots of white smoke again. Does anyone know if a blocked or crushed air filter cause turbo damage? Oh and when I boost hard the white smoke reduces quite significantly, usually is when relax driving then stop at traffic light can see lots of white smoke.
Go and do a piston compression test. Wet and dry

vogelspinnen

From Facebook
Mar 8, 2010
Ok guys problem solved. Apparently, turbo was DIRTY. Don't ask me why, I am guessing due to the crushed filter lol. Thanks again for all your help guys (:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If've changed the signal light fuse too often. It just keeps on blowing. I know it's because of the voltage instability but why other fuses not blown? Could it be the wiring for the signal light? Help me! Got tired of buying fuses.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience