Which intercooler...

tintin

Known Member
Nov 28, 2003
PJ
Just out of curiosity, which intercooler other than the stock gsr intercooler can fit in the GTi WITHOUT cutting or modifying the bumper?

tintin

jethrel

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
Without cutting the bumper? 4g93 small intercooler? Man, that sucks in such a weather like Malaysia.

Trust me, if you want a good intercooler that would work efficiently and all, have to cut or mod type of bumper. Of course if you really insist on getting a intercooler that can fit without cutting, best would be custom made.

;)

Good Luck

CcL

500 RPM
Nov 25, 2003
which i/c has the most cooling efficiency??
until now still deciding what i/c to use...
the stock one is hidden between the aircond and radiator... super hot!
was thinking of a 2jz since its cheap...
how is its performance??
anyone knows?

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
GTI bumper got such a big space to put a bigg front mount. but most likely
have to trim a bit to fit the bumper, why dont you put 1st Gen Evo intercooler ?

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
y selling? those stuff has been with me since 2000!! old stuff.. my fren changed to ARC.. so he past me his, and his spare unit for keeping..and never bothered to take it back.. so it's in my store..all dusty and dirty..but the condition of it is still superb... no fins bent...

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by CcL@Jun 30 2004, 06:49 AM
which i/c has the most cooling efficiency??
until now still deciding what i/c to use...
the stock one is hidden between the aircond and radiator... super hot!
was thinking of a 2jz since its cheap...
how is its performance??
anyone knows?
typically, the ic with the higest cooling efficiency has high flow restriction. bar and plate ic's have this characteristic. it cools really well but it causes relatively higher boost drop and is down on response. tube and fin ic's on the other hand flow really well but have lower cooling efficiency. so far, arc's directional ic appear to me to have the least flow restriction but i don't think they cool as well as the much heavier items from hks.

SPEEDSPiRiT

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
kenny-lee.com
Originally posted by BLaCkHoWLiNG@Jun 30 2004, 03:57 PM
y selling? those stuff has been with me since 2000!! old stuff.. my fren changed to ARC.. so he past me his, and his spare unit for keeping..and never bothered to take it back.. so it's in my store..all dusty and dirty..but the condition of it is still superb... no fins bent...
blackie

can my car ford lynx bumper fit ur i/c?
the 2jz one...
how does it look like anyway?
cos i dont wanna cut my bumper too....

engine type is b8t 180...

CcL

500 RPM
Nov 25, 2003
blackie blackie...
can bring it next time TT together...
wanna see if can fit my bumper...
the hole for intercooler is long horizontally but short vertically...
:(

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
Seen that car before. Real crazy ass mofo. My wife's Sabahan so ... I think I've seen that car before.
wat do u mean?dun understand laa..btw,anybody knows this company,frc?making custom intercooler..

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
i have a question,rite now i'm using the stock side-mounted intercooler for my GSR wira.
i'm thinking of changing it into bigger front mount ones like VR4RS intercooler.my question is if i just change the intercooler,without changing anything else,would it enchance the performance by much?since the intercooler is bigger already,would it introduce more turbo lag than my current setup?rite now there's not much of turbo lag la

Danny

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
you'll get cooler air into your engine, which means better response and slightly higher horse power. Just try boosting at night and compare it in the hot afternoon and you'll know what I mean.

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
ok....i get wat u mean.
but wat about the lag tht i mentioned?bigger intercooler without changing bigger turbo,would it introduce more lag?

Danny

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
bigger/ more efficient intercooler = cooler air = more responsive = less lag
smaller/ less efficient intercooler = hotter air = less responsive = more lag

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Originally posted by Danny@Jul 2 2004, 04:25 PM
bigger/ more efficient intercooler = cooler air = more responsive = less lag
smaller/ less efficient intercooler = hotter air = less responsive = more lag
The bigger the intercooler, the less responsive the engine gets as it takes more time to fill up a big intercooler than a small one.

Lag depends greatly on Turbo size and the I/C pipings. The bigger the intercooler, more lag can be expected.

Danny

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I thought that only applies to turbines ie the bigger it is the longer it takes to spool?

but the idea of bigger intercooler and longer time for air to to through might be true..then again smaller intercoolers usually means hotter air .. anymore sifus who can answer this more clearly?

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
yalo,tht's wat i thought la,cos the bigger the i/c is,it takes more time for the air to travel thru it la,but definitely the air is gonna be cooler than using small i/c,so most prolly i'll gain more horses at the expense of introducing more lag rite?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you haven't already known, The HPC MAM 4Hr Endurance is this Sunday. Racing has always been a dream for us and having been generously offered a race Celica from Brian of HPC Motorsports, we jumped at the opportunity. The only snag? Fix the broken 6-speed box. The rendering above is based on the celica we'll be racing this Sunday and we've got some work to be done before...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience