US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies, first man on Moon

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
BBC News - US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies, first man on Moon

Rest In Piece Neil Armstrong......my heart are wreck to hear this news.Wiped my tears as writing this.

Your courage & bravery are inspirational!In the last 4 years as I watching Apollo Lunar journal,you are one of the Apollo/Gemini/Mercury astronaut that inspired me to be a space geek as I do now.....RIP first man on the moon!LM Eagle would always be part of you...:(

Twelve men walked on the Moon. Now only eight of them are still alive. The youngest of the Apollo astronauts, Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17), is only about five years younger than Armstrong. It's quite possible they'll all be gone before this decade is out.

Strange to think that we'll live in a time where people who walked on another world once walked on ours, but no longer.

RIP Neil Armstrong.Your work & courage to land the LM Eagle at Sea Of Tranquility are still give me an inspiration everytime I see the LM video of moon first live transmission on earth.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Some moments during that historical step..

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

source: http://heartsofsand.blogspot.com/

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks to Apollo Lunar Journal,I started a personal fascination about the moon.

Since last 4 year,when I first starred at the moon that brightly litted on the sky during routine night jog,I started to have a seeing it as "romantic desolation".After getting myself a new camera,I started to take the picture of the sky,mostly for the moon itself.
It always a routine if I had a camera in my hand,or i
f not,just have a good look at it as I wonder how those twelve luckiest person on earth that successfully secured their seat to commanded Apollo spacecraft to the moon.

Godspeed to all Apollo crew for those priceless moment you shared with us.May all of you stay in good health & my prayer goes to those fallen astronaut that perished during the age of space exploration endeavour.

One of many pictures of the moon that I have been captured since last year after getting myself Canon EOS-60D.Never thought some part in my life,after making my own research as to ensure whether the moon landing was either hoax or real deal,I finally become a believer in what was considered as finest scientific achievement of 20th century & I thanked to all of the 10,000 contractor & more than 400,000 of american citizen that poured all their effort to achieve what was thought to be a science fiction dream in the 50's,& to finally finished their President's greatest challenges.(John F Kennedy)

Apollo program was still leave it legacy with us all.The program,which want to show not only the superiority of United States,but also to acclaimed what ideology is the best for all humankind.(Free & open society vs landlocked communism dictatorship premier)
The crucial part of the moon landing,which is spacecraft docking technique,that was practiced during Gemini program,has enable us to built a space station that was unimaginable back then.

The deep space antenna that was important for communication between earth & moon half million miles away has enable the modern industries to create much more telecomunication system that we have today,including the internet,where the package of data is transmitted efficiently through stream of connected network.

Apollo guidance computer(AGNS=Apollo Guidance & Navigation System) was the legacy of first small true computer that comes with Head Up Display(HUD) that allowed computer system navigation become much more easier than before.It still a leading edge technology that we cheerish today thanks to tremendous research by IBM,Raytheon,MIT & United System Alliance that working very hard on it as the request from NASA scientiest to have a computer that can fit on tiny conical shaped Apollo spacecraft that would help Astronaut to navigate their spacecraft in the vastness of space.

Saturn V moonrocket was the largest ever multistage booster that propel the small Apollo Spacecraft on the top are the ultimate test of rocketry science.Designed by famous rocket scientist of WWII,Werhner Von Brown & SS officer,Athur Rudolph,it was the most powerful launch vehicle in the world.Using the principal of American's own rocket scientist,Robert Goddard about cryogenics stage expendables launch vehicle to boasted the top mounted spacecraft to achieve orbital speed,the Saturn V is a monster of a machine.

At 7 million plus tonne,the first stage S-1C generated an astonishing 177-200 million SAE horsepower from its 5 Powerful RocketDyne F-1 turbopump engine,boasting the 7 million tonne of launch vehicle to its trajectory speed of more than 3,0000 km/h before the stage was retired for second stage S-II activation.

Apollo 11 Saturn V launch vehicle arrived at LC-39A launch pad from VAB(Vehicle Assembly Building) that was 9 miles away from the site.It was preparation few month in advance from the date of July 16,1969,the day when Apollo 11 voyage to the moon & attempted a lunar landing.

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Tribute to the mission that was commanded by Neil Armstrong himself.Apollo 11 launch from Keneddy Space Centre Launch Complex-39A.

3 brave men,Armstrong,Aldrin & Collins strapped up inside tiny conical shaped Apollo spacecraft that was mounted atop of 3 stage powerful Saturn V booster,carrying a hopes of million of people around the world for one historic moment that would see the evolution of space exploration altogether,& for one priceless moment,the world would be united in wonder.

Remembering the moment: Fury of USA moon rocket & the countdown of historic spaceflight.

As You Remember It: The Lift-Off of APOLLO 11 - YouTube

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Official statement from White House via NASA.

The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, just issued the following proclamation on the passing of Neil Armstrong:

As a mark of respect for the memory of Neil Armstrong, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that on the day of his interment, the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on such day. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
twenty-seventh day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

I still in sad mode honestly....As part of IAAA artist,he was one among the veteran astros during the space race era that inspired me to be a space geek as I do now.Here is my tribute work that largely inspired by Apollo space program.It was soon-to-be-release visual graphic book that depicted a new vision of manned spaceflight endeavour.

RIP Armstrong,you always be missed....:l

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

nice new car.. can buy one la.. still under Malaysian budget around RM44,999 to RM55,800..
but still like Gen 2.. but a little bit big space for trunk.
Proud to be Malaysian..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience